• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If the multiplayer is unbalanced...

AmazingMilto

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
England
...why dont we nudge things a bit further towards the realism side and just have more Russians than Germans?

It would make maps a bit more interesting when instead of equal numbers on unequal terms, atleast the Russians would have the numbers advantage.

Gumrak would also become a bit easier, its all well that the Pz IV is better than the T-34, but a Pz IV will rarely win a 2vs1.

How could all of this be executed? Making it so there must be atleast 3 more on the Russians side at all times, the German team will be locked if there isnt.

Reactions: MadGelo and Centory
at the start I thought it was unbalanced but in the last week ive been loosing quite a lot as germans.

The only map I really lose on as Germans is Fallen Fighters, Ive only won once on it, never lost as Russians on it. The Russian spawn is much closer to the rest of the objectives than the German spawn.

I suppose once the PPSh gets the buff it deserves and the DP is an actual match for the MG, Ill find myself losing a lot more.

Upvote 0
I would much rather they just switched attacker/defender on territory maps after the first round, like CD mode. Russians outnumbering Germans wouldn't make much sense in summer maps. But localised counter-attacks happened all the time.

Tanks wise, they could just make the German tank a PIIIj or something, or give the t-34 applique armour.

These two changes plus some realism when it comes to ultra rare weapons would make the game much more balanced AND realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ppsh is perfectly fine. The problem is you need to unlock realistic features it came with as standard. While the germans unlock fantasy weapons like the mkb and MP40 II that should have no place in any remotely realistic game. I get killed by the mkb more often in RO2 than I did by the STG44 in RO1. And half of the RO1 maps were set in 44-45...

Germans should get an MP40 for smg, and an MG34 for mg with an option of drum (with hip fire) or 100-150 belt (without hip fire). And russians should get a ppsh41 with drum for smg, and DP for mg. No unlocks, no bonuses.

Realistic, balanced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...why dont we nudge things a bit further towards the realism side and just have more Russians than Germans?

It would make maps a bit more interesting when instead of equal numbers on unequal terms, atleast the Russians would have the numbers advantage.

Gumrak would also become a bit easier, its all well that the Pz IV is better than the T-34, but a Pz IV will rarely win a 2vs1.

How could all of this be executed? Making it so there must be atleast 3 more on the Russians side at all times, the German team will be locked if there isnt.

Love your idea, I had a similar concept back in the Medal of Honor days, I wished someone had moded the Omaha Beach landing map so that there was twice the amount of Americans vs Germans. Never happened but would have been fun. I wonder how difficult it would be to implement this as a server setting in RO2. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that easy since equal team balancing is most likely how the engine is designed, but what do I know....devs please enlighten us

Upvote 0
You wont get much positive support here for balancing, most of the community seems to think its balanced, even though it obviously isnt.

The Germans definitely have a huge advantage over Russians, and there definitely needs to be a numbers advantage given to the Rus or something.

MkB says it all for Germany. The MP40 is a great gun for all ranges, and is far more reliable than the PPSH as a general purpose gun, but the PP is definitely the top dog in close range, it will eat MP40 and MkB users all day.

The Panzer, regardless of the people who will come in and say you just arent shooting at the right places, is grossly overpowered.

Even if hitting the weak points was as reliable as people like to make it seem, the panzer has twice the ammo, smoke bombs, and a much better view for the commander, not to mention you can sit in commander and watch everything as your tank rapes face, as the T-34 or whatever it is does not have a commander seat. The only advantage the T-34 has is speed, which is meaningless when you get one shotted by a panzer the instant you spawn.

Upvote 0
The ppsh is perfectly fine. The problem is you need to unlock realistic features it came with as standard. While the germans unlock fantasy weapons like the mkb and MP40 II that should have no place in any remotely realistic game. I get killed by the mkb more often in RO2 than I did by the STG44 in RO1. And half of the RO1 maps were set in 44-45...

Germans should get an MP40 for smg, and an MG34 for mg with an option of drum (with hip fire) or 100-150 belt (without hip fire). And russians should get a ppsh41 with drum for smg, and DP for mg. No unlocks, no bonuses.

Realistic, balanced.

This post makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE.

Upvote 0
Besides the maps all that needs to change to make the game more balanced is to make it more realistic.

Make the PPSh its true self, equalize the tanks, make the Mkb/AVT a hero weapon.

I'd like to take it a bit further, like making the drum and selective fire on the PPSh default and totally removing the prototypes (MP-40 dual mag included) but I doubt TW themselves would take that step, so hopefully mods could take care of those issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Game could still use some more time for people to get really good at the maps before TWI goes in to start making things more asymmetrical. Maps I thought were nigh on winnable with house pets or better playing on the other team have gone the other way completely since release.

In time I think it could make for more interesting scenarios...but we've got a pretty good offering of scenarios just based on map structure and objective layout.

Whatever balance need to happen, I think its less in the reinforcements department and more in the Lockdown timer/Lockdown Conditions department. Only Grain Elevator routinely comes down to reinforcements, I'd say all the other maps are decided by the Lockdown Timer, the Round Timer or the last objective 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think they should keep it how it is BUT the Russians have more reinforcements then the Germans, because in Stalingrad there was X3 or X4 the amount of Russians

More reinforcements is a halfassed way of balancing things. All that means, is that when the Germans get the next objective, they can camp up and waste as much time as they need until lockdown timer gets close, then rinse and repeat.

tl;dr
More reinforcements just means Germans have even more fun spawn camping than before.

Upvote 0
Actually the Germans probably had more troops inside the city than the Russians did(over 1 million troops).The Russians defending could hold off a greater number due to the fact they was dug in and time was on their side.And the Red Army held back most of its reinforcements going to Stalingrad so that they could build up huge armies on the flanks of the city.They just put in enough troops to barely hold on letting the enemy get deeper in the city.So when the counter attack finally came it was a crushing encirclement which it was.

As for game balance its more of a team in-balance than map or weapon advantages.The Russians are more than capable of winning any map with the right teamwork.In fact now that in game voice is working I'm seeing alot more Russian victories. I love hearing even the new guys giving tactical info during the battle and using it to take advantage.This game being a team based tactical fps its where it really shines not to mention alot funner.

Upvote 0
Actually the Germans probably had more troops inside the city than the Russians did(over 1 million troops).

The 6th Army only had about 250,000 men, and that's all that was inside the city. Some smaller German units backed by 2 Romanian armies and 1 Italian army, protected the flanks outside the city. Even together, the total force in and around Stalingrad never got close to 1M.

Upvote 0
Actually the Germans probably had more troops inside the city than the Russians did(over 1 million troops).The Russians defending could hold off a greater number due to the fact they was dug in and time was on their side.And the Red Army held back most of its reinforcements going to Stalingrad so that they could build up huge armies on the flanks of the city.They just put in enough troops to barely hold on letting the enemy get deeper in the city.So when the counter attack finally came it was a crushing encirclement which it was.

Courage and heroism (or fanaticism if you want) begs mention, too. I know wikipedia "history buffs" don't consider anything besides numbers, but its not even close to the whole picture.

Not calling you that btw

The Russians in the city held on with their balls.

Upvote 0