• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun analysis from my perspective..

I'm not a number cruncher/statistics/math wiz kinda guy but I am great with practical implication of how things work and feel, I'd be the guy that test's equipment not makes it, with that being said I've had a good run with most of the weapons in the game and I've played around with them to try and get a sense for what scenarios and firing modes they would be good or bad in.

So let's get started...

Sub-Machine Gun Category

MP-40 vs. PPSh

Many people claim the MP-40 is superior to the PPSh, but in my testing in gameplay with both of these weapons I found that for me it isn't necessarily the case.

While the MP-40 may be more user friendly, because of the slower rate of fire making the recoil more manageable, as well as the iron sights just being general easier to aim with it doesn't feel much more accurate or effective than the PPSh to me.

I've heard complaints bout the PPSh not having the accuracy so I took it for a test spin on Freedom Fighters and did some long range fighting with it. I didn't really miss my mark, the recoil is harder to manage on it but I was picking people off consistently. I also have been using it just about exclusively for a few days now and I'm actually finding the high rate of fire to be an advantage over the MP-40 because I can simply get more rounds in the air than my enemy...the key is managing the recoil which I think in time many people will realize is trick to many of the guns.

My choice: Although they are both excellent guns, I would rather have a PPSh, not to mention the drum that comes later giving more rounds without reloading, and even the stock clip is nothing to complain about.

Semi-auto Rifles

G41 vs SVT-40 and AVT-40

Most people are comparing the AVT to the MKb 42, which really isn't a comparison in terms of how these weapons function. The only commonality is that they have full auto like capabilities.

G41 I've found to lack punching power and also takes longer and is generally more annoying to reload, also the accuracy appears to be a bit less than the SVT-40. Between these two the SVT-40 reloads faster since it's using a clip instead of two separate stacks of rifle clips, it also seems to be more accurate from what I've felt in gameplay.

Some say using the AVT is good for some circumstances, these are not circumstances I've ran into very often, the full auto is horrendous and just compared to any other gun doesn't seem to provide any benefit. The only effective way that I've found it to be useful is by pressing 6 and getting the single shot alternative fire going. It's as good as the SVT in that regard but I wouldn't choose it over it, even though it feels to have a slightly better firing rate than it. The short clip on the AVT will come out hurt you more than help you in the end using full auto.

My choice in this category is easy, the SVT-40 just plays all around better.

Machine guns

Machine guns are my most used weapon on choice, I started using the MG-34 and planned on using that exclusively but then as I saw allies needed more help I started using the DPM.

Now switching from the MG-34 to the DPM was at first negative. Not only do I prefer german weapons but the MG-34 just felt right in terms of machinegun play. But again, as I used both extensively for a greater part of the first two days of purchasing the game, I found the DPM definitely had it capabilities.

For example: The MG-34 vs DPM is similar to the PPSh vs MP-40 because one gun is more user-friendly and feels more natural than the other, so therefore gets the favorable tip of the hat when judged.

However, again after managing recoil I found the DPM is probably once again a more effective weapon than the MG-34. The accuracy first of all is practically pin-point on the DPM using single shot, with the MG-34 it's close but doesn't feel quite as accurate by a hair using at long distances. I've used the DPM on Freedom Fighters (hope I'm getting the map name right, the big snow one everyone camps on) and rung up a pretty high k/d ratio as I was able to pick off riflemen and snipers.

MG-34 is great in tighter spots since it spits out more rounds and is better firing in a 3 shot 4 shot burst pattern once you get the recoil down and you can even fully unload without losing the cone if you had to. The DPM is better at long range, higher accuracy points and it seems to pack a bigger bunch per round (you'll get less wounded people).

My choice: Both have a different style and provide a different flavor, but the DPM is overall the better choice because the rate of fire is still there and with the accuracy you're not going to waste a lot of rounds when you can shoot the tips of peoples helmets with a reliable single shot, thus not having to expose your location.

Rifles

Kar98 vs Mosin Nagant

The germans learned that most battles took place within a shorter distance than rifles were capable of shooting. Therefore they made the kar98 a shorter rifle made for closer engagements but not drastic.

I think this translates well with the feel of these two rifles. I think the kar98 is a shorter barrel than the Mosin in the game and it feels that way, in fact you can see Russians rifles sticking out windows and such before they even jump out of them.

I'm going to make this a short analysis though since they are both very accurate. Both seem to have the same bolt action timing, but the Mosin is a touch more accurate than the K98. I have played both and probably prefer the Mosin as I a long range weapon and I like that the rifle is long.

My choice: Overall I'd say the K98 is easier to aim with the iron sight, but I think both when it comes to these very similar rifles, the choice is yours but I'd give a slight edge to the Mosin.

Best handgun

TT-33 - better recoil, better handling, less clunky and very accurate with a quick reload.

Best Sniper Rifle

K98 Scoped - Easier and quicker to aim after each bolt action means you'll get more kills with it in the heat of battle

Best Assault Rifle

In case you forgot. And yes there is only one, and yes the Germans had it and it really was/is a superior weapon and many say is the origin of the AK-47 being used today.

So let's face it, this gun is superior in all aspects. The rate of fire is high and accurate but more importantly manageable, if anything that is where I can see making a change, the handling seems far too easy for a gun this long, I can imagine trying to swing this weapon around without someone seeing the barrel first and then the time it takes to try and aim it. It wasn't that heavy either though as big as it looks so it is believable.

Some people say the Mkb is worse or less effective than the MP-40, but I think that just goes back down to the MP-40's very easy to use/user-friendly type features. It's short quick, accurate and has a steady as she goes rate of fire. But the Mkb is easily superior to any weapon on the battlefield, and that's pretty much because it was, this weapon was a prototype of a lot of the weapons today. However it's availability should be kept in check and I'd like to see a better weapon the the AVT introduced which is at best a novelty weapon.

As far as tanks go, no comment. I played Gumrak as Russian though and had no problem taking lot of panzer's out, but that was my only real tank battle experience as I'm not much of a tankard.

Last edited:
Good review ..I love the fact that both sides don't have mirrored weapons in RO and it takes practice with each to get proficient with.

I couldn't stand the fact that in bc2 I always used the same weapon on both sides which is pretty much what everyone did.Most all the future fps games will be this way as well.

I agree about the ppsh as well ...its a beast of a weapon after you get used to it and can control it properly.

Upvote 0
I'm not a number cruncher/statistics/math wiz kinda guy but I am great with practical implication of how things work and feel, I'd be the guy that test's equipment not makes it, with that being said I've had a good run with most of the weapons in the game and I've played around with them to try and get a sense for what scenarios and firing modes they would be good or bad in.

So let's get started...

Sub-Machine Gun Category

MP-40 vs. PPSh

Many people claim the MP-40 is superior to the PPSh, but in my testing in gameplay with both of these weapons I found that for me it isn't necessarily the case.

While the MP-40 may be more user friendly, because of the slower rate of fire making the recoil more manageable, as well as the iron sights just being general easier to aim with it doesn't feel much more accurate or effective than the PPSh to me.

I've heard complaints bout the PPSh not having the accuracy so I took it for a test spin on Freedom Fighters and did some long range fighting with it. I didn't really miss my mark, the recoil is harder to manage on it but I was picking people off consistently. I also have been using it just about exclusively for a few days now and I'm actually finding the high rate of fire to be an advantage over the MP-40 because I can simply get more rounds in the air than my enemy...the key is managing the recoil which I think in time many people will realize is trick to many of the guns.

My choice: Although they are both excellent guns, I would rather have a PPSh, not to mention the drum that comes later giving more rounds without reloading, and even the stock clip is nothing to complain about.

Semi-auto Rifles

G41 vs SVT-40 and AVT-40

Most people are comparing the AVT to the MKb 42, which really isn't a comparison in terms of how these weapons function. The only commonality is that they have full auto like capabilities.

G41 I've found to lack punching power and also takes longer and is generally more annoying to reload, also the accuracy appears to be a bit less than the SVT-40. Between these two the SVT-40 reloads faster since it's using a clip instead of two separate stacks of rifle clips, it also seems to be more accurate from what I've felt in gameplay.

Some say using the AVT is good for some circumstances, these are not circumstances I've ran into very often, the full auto is horrendous and just compared to any other gun doesn't seem to provide any benefit. The only effective way that I've found it to be useful is by pressing 6 and getting the single shot alternative fire going. It's as good as the SVT in that regard but I wouldn't choose it over it, even though it feels to have a slightly better firing rate than it. The short clip on the AVT will come out hurt you more than help you in the end using full auto.

My choice in this category is easy, the SVT-40 just plays all around better.

Machine guns

Machine guns are my most used weapon on choice, I started using the MG-34 and planned on using that exclusively but then as I saw allies needed more help I started using the DPM.

Now switching from the MG-34 to the DPM was at first negative. Not only do I prefer german weapons but the MG-34 just felt right in terms of machinegun play. But again, as I used both extensively for a greater part of the first two days of purchasing the game, I found the DPM definitely had it capabilities.

For example: The MG-34 vs DPM is similar to the PPSh vs MP-40 because one gun is more user-friendly and feels more natural than the other, so therefore gets the favorable tip of the hat when judged.

However, again after managing recoil I found the DPM is probably once again a more effective weapon than the MG-34. The accuracy first of all is practically pin-point on the DPM using single shot, with the MG-34 it's close but doesn't feel quite as accurate by a hair using at long distances. I've used the DPM on Freedom Fighters (hope I'm getting the map name right, the big snow one everyone camps on) and rung up a pretty high k/d ratio as I was able to pick off riflemen and snipers.

MG-34 is great in tighter spots since it spits out more rounds and is better firing in a 3 shot 4 shot burst pattern once you get the recoil down and you can even fully unload without losing the cone if you had to. The DPM is better at long range, higher accuracy points and it seems to pack a bigger bunch per round (you'll get less wounded people).

My choice: Both have a different style and provide a different flavor, but the DPM is overall the better choice because the rate of fire is still there and with the accuracy you're not going to waste a lot of rounds when you can shoot the tips of peoples helmets with a reliable single shot, thus not having to expose your location.

Rifles

Kar98 vs Mosin Nagant

The germans learned that most battles took place within a shorter distance than rifles were capable of shooting. Therefore they made the kar98 a shorter rifle made for closer engagements but not drastic.

I think this translates well with the feel of these two rifles. I think the kar98 is a shorter barrel than the Mosin in the game and it feels that way, in fact you can see Russians rifles sticking out windows and such before they even jump out of them.

I'm going to make this a short analysis though since they are both very accurate. Both seem to have the same bolt action timing, but the kar98 is a touch more innaccurate than the Mosin. I have played both and probably prefer the Mosin as I a long range weapon and I like that the rifle is long.

My choice: Overall I'd say the K98 is easier to aim with the iron sight, but I think both when it comes to these very similar rifles, the choice is yours but I'd give a slight edge to the Mosin.

Best handgun

TT-33 - better recoil, better handling, less clunky and very accurate with a quick reload.

Best Sniper Rifle

K98 Scoped - Easier and quicker to aim after each bolt action means you'll get more kills with it in the heat of battle

Best Assault Rifle

In case you forgot. And yes there is only one, and yes the Germans had it and it really was/is a superior weapon and many say is the origin of the AK-47 being used today.

So let's face it, this gun is superior in all aspects. The rate of fire is high and accurate but more importantly manageable, if anything that is where I can see making a change, the handling seems far too easy for a gun this long, I can imagine trying to swing this weapon around without someone seeing the barrel first and then the time it takes to try and aim it. It wasn't that heavy either though as big as it looks so it is believable.

Some people say the Mkb is worse or less effective than the MP-40, but I think that just goes back down to the MP-40's very easy to use/user-friendly type features. It's short quick, accurate and has a steady as she goes rate of fire. But the Mkb is easily superior to any weapon on the battlefield, and that's pretty much because it was, this weapon was a prototype of a lot of the weapons today. However it's availability should be kept in check and I'd like to see a better weapon the the AVT introduced which is at best a novelty weapon.

As far as tanks go, no comment. I played Gumrak as Russian though and had no problem taking lot of panzer's out, but that was my only real tank battle experience as I'm not much of a tankard.

I think PPSH is really bad at longer range it takes be 2-3 burst to kill someone while with the mp40 I can just shoot 1-2 bullet and they are usually dead

yeah I had to quote the whole post

Reactions: SQBsam and Darkseed
Upvote 0
The only accurate shot with a sub-machine gun and even machine guns is the first shot, I mean even the mkb works that way. So even though the PPSh fires quickly, you need to tap the mouse to try and let out that one to two round burst, but it's still accurate. The MP-40 just feels better because you're not forced to shoot more than you want because it's got a nice sustained rate of fire easy to manage, but your first shot is the only one going straight on either gun and as long as you line that up you'll get the kill. People tend to spray more with the PPSh though because naturally it feels like that's what you should do.

Upvote 0

How can you use the word "clip" for the real thing and still call the magazine a "clip" in the same sentence? :eek:

Upvote 0
I mostly use the DP-28 but on the odd occasion when I've used the MG-34 I've been impressed with how much better it is. The rate of fire seems much faster than the DP which always stutters like it's just about to jam and is barely capable of hiring a crossing target at any range. The -34 on the other hand pretty much hits whatever you point it at. In hip fire the -34 is also a clear winner with very little recoil and a much more intuitive initial aim point.

The sights on the DP are a little better but on my computer art least this is spoiled by the fact that they are almost always misaligned or simply missing completely when first deployed. I have to fire a round to get the sight to align which isn't exactly good tactically.

Upvote 0
So let's get started...

Sub-Machine Gun Category

The real weapons have different design characteristics, so if they are modelled accurately they will behave a certain way. The MP-40 should be easier to use from the hip or for snap shooting because that is what it is designed for. It has a pistol grip which allows for faster target acquisition because you learn to think about pointing at the target with your finger and sort of poking it. With the grip shaped correctly it is so natural, you don't even have to aim down the sights. Just try pointing your finger at something. Not too hard is it?

The PPSh on the other hand is optimised for shooting from the shoulder. It has a flatter profile allowing the user to expose less of his body to fire, and it is much more accurate than the MP-40 firing from the folding stock. On the MP-40, the stock joint was semi-flexible and would allow some weapon shake.

My impression in-game is that they are much like this. If you keep to the idea of firing 3 round bursts from the steadiest position you can, they are both as accurate and hard hitting. It's really a matter of preference. To me it almost feels like the MP-40 hits with fewer but harder hitting rounds, so if your position is not that steady, it is easier to adjust slightly between rounds, while the PPSh does that by firing more rounds a lot faster. So if you're not so steady they spray around more and hit less, which does less damage in the same amount of time.

When I play the MP-40 for awhile, then play the PPSh, I find myself having to stop sooner to a more steady position to get the kill. If I go at the same speed as I do with the MP-40 I die more because the gun isn't as steady when I'm firing.

Machine guns

Once again if you take account of the design differences, the behaviour should be pretty predictable, and I have found that it pretty much is, except in one glaring place, of course (IS in crouch and standing).

The MG-34 has the pistol grip plus an inline buttstock. It has a very high rate of fire and fires the same round as the K98. Despite this, it is very light, and becomes very hot rapidly, so holding the fore-end is pretty much out unless you keep the barrel cool by firing short bursts. In real combat, soldiers found it suffered from deviation during sustained fire, so the MG-42 was slower firing and heavier.

It's very accurate, but harder to control. It rises up because the recoil builds up into a very hard push and the body of even the biggest man flexes. It's designed to rain down a hail of bullets in a very short period, and then move rapidly to a new location and do it again.

The DP-28 vs MG-34 is much the same as the PPSh vs MP-40 except reversed in terms of having a lower rate of fire which makes handling the recoil between shots easier. If you sped up one and slowed down the other, they would be almost identical in terms of handling characteristics, only differing in magnitude.

The DP-28 is more a support gun providing accurate fire at all ranges, but not from the front of the squad. They would more likely be in an overwatch position firing beside or over the assault.

There is one interesting thing about the DP-28 vs the MG-34. The DP-28 is an automatic rifle in design as well as operation. It is held and aimed just like a rifle. It operates as much like a rifle as possible. This means training on it is simpler and the soldier using it doesn't have to change mindset as much to swap between them when needed.

The MG-34 is easier to use to acquire targets, but it's totally different from the rifle and requires specialist training to employ effectively making the soldiers job much harder in the heat of battle if he is inexperienced. The MG-34 is designed more to be an assault gun, being at the point of the squad. The German gunner was an elite assault trooper, laying waste in front of the riflemen. Check this out to see what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_tactics#Offensive_tactics

The idea is to have the rapid firing gun where it can do the most damage, while the other squad members move along behind, supporting him.

In game I find you can do all of this pretty well with both guns. The MG-34 feels more about leading the charge, while the DP-28 feels more like being a sniper and covering from afar. If you try to out snipe a sniper with the MG-34, you better use single shot or you're toast, but the DP-28 feels more natural and gives you more time to see that you hit and decide to let go of the trigger. More precise. Less brutal.

Rifles

Interestingly, with the bayonet, the advantages sort of swap. The longer Mosin Magant does feel like it has a longer reach in game, and I feel I win a bayonet duel with it more often than with the K98. I also feel it has less misalignment issues when tracking a target. It feels a little slower but steadier and easier to get the longer range high deflection moving targets. The K98 feels quicker to turn and acquire a target with, and quicker into the shoulder.

Best Assault Rifle

I prefer the bolt action simply because if you are shooting centre mass, your first shot is more likely to kill than his first shot, and if you are doing the right things you are more likely to get it. I gave the MkB42 a try and was not impressed. It had too much recoil for me to really run and gun at high speed with minimal stopping, but it also didn't hit as accurately or hard enough to really stop and aim for a one shot kill with greater chance of success.

Upvote 0