• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is RO2 in danger of becoming the next Day of defeat?

I agree 100%

This is Stalingrad.

"The point of these observations is that the Soviets had no opportunity to grasp the nature of extended urban warfare or explore the inherent defensive potential of cities. Either cities were defended in their surrounding fortifications, as in Odessa, Sevastopol, Tula, and Leningrad, or they were taken relatively quickly as part of a larger campaign, as was Kiev. The closest the Soviets came to their later achievements at Stalingrad were the individual feats of courage and resistance in the face of certain annihilation that Soviet soldiers exhibited at the fortress of Brest-Litovsk on the Soviet western frontier, and in the fortifications around Sevastopol. Stalingrad thus represented something new for the Soviets—an object lesson in the advantages defenders have when fighting inside large cities, and a laboratory in which to develop the tactics of urban warfare so sadly neglected in the interwar period."

"Something had clearly changed. Stalingrad was defended in the streets of the city itself, as Odessa and Sevastopol had not been, and the Wehrmacht found this much tougher going. The Soviet 62nd and 64th armies in Stalingrad itself faced a horrific and desperate struggle not to be driven into the Volga, but they would exact a terrible toll on the German troops they faced. What, tactically, was happening? The Soviets were clearly adapting well to the strains of urban warfare, at least as well as the Germans, and their experience in Stalingrad repays closer attention."

You can read all this right here and you can see how different Stalingrad was compared to all the other major battles before it.

Exactly! Staligrad was about small, close mini battles full of rapid -fire machine guns that cut everyone to peices as they turned a corner!! It wasen't large open battles with tiger tanks roaming around. Hell it was a small mircle seeing any tanks in and around Staligrad...this is actual fact...

Upvote 0
RO: I don't recall any issues for me day 1 and I got it day 1.

I must of been one of the lucky few, although this time around beta worked great for me, but now every update patch the number of crashes is getting worse not better.

RO:Ostfront was great for me since day 1. Maybe some bugs but the core gameplay didn't change with subsequent patches (until they upped player count and class limits). They just fixed bugs and added a couple new weapons and maps.

RO mod on the other hand I didn't bother with until much later on. I believe the early versions of that were pretty buggy. If people are referring to early versions of the mod then fine, but Ostfront for me just got some polish after release and increased its map number.

RO2 for me needs some hefty modding or a few big changes to realism mode. Or a separate "hardcore" or classic mode

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Old DOD 3.1 player here myself, so far I am LOVING and I mean absolutely loving RO2. I was thinking of skipping class today just to play it... but I gotta go. Will be back later haha.

I wish all these people would stop *****ing though, it's extremely irritating and I think they're just knee jerk reactions to minor quirks, I've not run into anything game breaking but maybe its because I play on realism only.

Upvote 0
Sooo, we should just accept the bugs in RO2, because RO1 was bug-riddled when it was released? Developers can get away with anything these days, if they have a big enough club of fanboys...

I have a really hard time understanding the logic of waiting SIX months just to get the stuff that was promised to us in working condition.

I will give this game a month tops. I really don't have the patience of waiting several months, like some of guys just to get the full experience.

Upvote 0
They might as well change the game name from Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad to just Heroes of Stalingrad because HoS is not even close what Red orchestra is.

Tripwire whent down the same road like so many other devs in FPS and MMO game arena they want the kids and the instant gratification crowd to buy their games.

This shoebox ruin map shootout gameplay get so boring, I play RO1 more and more now, It's really sad but Tripwire really dropped the ball here for many and for many of my clan mates who feel the same way.

Reactions: MrGoat
Upvote 0
They might as well change the game name from Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad to just Heroes of Stalingrad because HoS is not even close what Red orchestra is.

Tripwire whent down the same road like so many other devs in FPS and MMO game arena they want the kids and the instant gratification crowd to buy their games.

This shoebox ruin map shootout gameplay get so boring, I play RO1 more and more now, It's really sad but Tripwire really dropped the ball here for many and for many of my clan mates who feel the same way.

This kids and instant gratification mantra is getting really old and is a bunch of elitist nonsense. This is a sequel ,not ROOST 1.5. It's fine if you don't like the changes not everyone will but assigning this picture that everyone who plays CoD is some idiot ADD kid is redicoulous. many different age groups enjoy and play those games from all walks of life. Some prefer a faster paced style of play and RO2 is a nice introduction to more realistic games for these types of players including me. I am having a blast with this game and just because its not exactly what you wanted it to be in no way means TWI has sold out to the mainstream.

Upvote 0
I noticed that RO2 feels much smaller than old RO. There's stuff littered all over the maps, so that you have barely 50 meters of fighting distance most of the time. Old RO had much more open ground, didn't it? I'm thinking of maps like smolenks stalemate or berezina or those maps where you fought for a farm plot, a house (sometimes a village) and barn. Yes, those were all custom maps IIRC but I wish they'd come back in RO2 because all current maps are a little too small for me with all that conveniently placed cover every 5 meters.

Upvote 0
This is a spot on post.

RO2 has definitely lost the magic that RO1 had.
Or it hasnt got it at the moment.

Its hugely disappointing but there will be mods that should cater
to the people who just wanted the game to stay true to RO and not try to
appeal to another audience.

The same thing happened with DoD and it ruined it for many people.

there is a reason you can only find a few (if that) full servers in RO1. Because no one likes it but a niche of people.

Ro2 is 110% what Red Orchestra should be. and as a classic DOD player, it is pretty much what I always wanted out of DOD.

Reactions: Comrade Kaizer
Upvote 0
:D DOD man that was a great mod/game brings back some good memories. Best MAP was Caen with the Brits. Played that game to death, DODS wasnt that bad i still had some good times with it but not as good as DOD, the party had long been and gone and DODS was the like drinking flat beer afterwords. Although i can see what the OP is getting at good post btw, i dont think RO2 is that bad, it still needs time to build with mods. I first would like it to be fixed as im sure everyone wants first,

My question is will the devs be actually able to fix the game before the party as ended or will people leave and say meh it was ok and move to the next party while the devs start screaming come back weve got more beer, fixed the dancefloor and added more speakers and hot babes? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything about RO2 reminds me of DoD. The forum, the realism vs. gameplay arguments, the buggy releases, the massive amount of small patches, the more arcady sequel, the hardcore fanboys, the CS/CoD kids hating on slow pace and "camping", the history buffs that complains because the rifle has the wrong serial number, the elitism of older members... etc etc.

For me it feels like I have gone into a wormhole and ended up in 2000.
Yup!

:)

Upvote 0
I believe RO2 will improve tenfold just like how RO1 improved tenfold a few months down from release.

Unlike the DoD devs who literally sit around and do nothing to improve the game, Tripwire actually listen to people.

yes their listening skills have been very well used in the whole "MKB for assualt" depacle. maybe if they can use some of thoses adressing skills......

i got on the whole RO1 bandwagon a little late (about a year ago) but RO1 is 4x the game RO2 is. its alot harder but wtf is wrong with that? are games that are hard instantly bad now in a world where people get achevements for just booting up the game? are people just THAT lazy now that if they cant get a positive kill ratio after just picking up the game its instantly bad?

i c dark times indeed, dark times.

Upvote 0