• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire the underdog

Littlenorwegians

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2011
Ah, isn't this sorta funny.
It's sort of like the second act of some great play.

Tripwire, with success got RO off the ground. Huge support, many fans and so on.
Then comes the next challenge, RO2. Will Tripwire be able to top themselves?
And then comes the second act, when the hero is on its lowest.
Tripwire faces opponents from every side. "Betrayal" yells the fans of old, "this game sucks" yells the new players. But they both go hand-in-hand when it comes to accusing Tripwire of making a shoddy, buggy product.
Will Tripwire rise up to the challenge, despite the opposition ascend to its former and perhaps greater glory?

My guess is that most of the issues will be fixed, in due time.
Perhaps then we can look back at this time as that one time we were so full of rage and anger.

It'll get fixed and everyone will forget about it, just as they did RO1's bugs. For a LOT of people for the first few weeks, we couldn't even launch RO1. Instant crash. I don't see anyone bringing this up.

It instantly crashes for some people. I've actually crashed 6 times this evening alone. Besides, we're not in 2002 anymore, and RO1 was a free mod, not a commercial game. This is just plainly unacceptable as a consumer point of view, but worse than that, it's terrible PR. It's sending the message to the non niche audience that your game won't work plain and simple.

The same thing happened for Brink, with a similar niche/dedicated audience for Splash Damage games. And Brink had way less problems than RO2 at launch, still, it peaked at 10K players a week later, today 5 months later Brink isn't even in Steam stats anymore.

RO2 has peaked at 7k user today, 3 days after release, how many people will be left one month from now?

People will indeed forget, they'll be (and some already are) playing something else.

Reactions: Xienen
Upvote 0
People forget how TWI got its start a small team just modding they released ro1 retail after great reviews (and alot of polish and work btw).Then with the money they made off ro1 retail they made killing floor which has a huge following still just like ro1. Then with the money they made off KF they finished Ro2 making games is not by any means a easy job for pc only its even harder.Having to be compatible with many set ups (cpu's /gpu's) operating systems for like 30 people that's alot of work!

People forget the crap put out by huge company's like dice with DEEP pockets(and hundred of employees).Everything dice put out was way buggier than ro2 is atm. I still cant play BC2 without crashes and graphics glitches and they moved on and left it the way it is working on their next buggy release.BF 2 was almost unplayable when it released bf1942 and bf vietnam was all terrible launches.And they have the backing of EA which has more money than bill gates.

Tripwire publishes their own stuff and unlike other company's they dont just forget a game and move on they keep working on it and giving free content.While other company's just release updated expansions and make you fork out $ for that crap.

I have full confidence that TWI will polish ro2 to perfection just like they did with ro1.While it wasn't perfect at release its better than most HUGE budget company's put out.While they will never please everyone ,some people just can't be pleased .3 years from now they will still have a loyal following and ro2 will be going strong.With mods and custom maps that dice and other company's want allow.

Instead of all this b****ing and whining about little things people should be great full there is still company's around that still operates as they do.

"That's why they make chocolate and vanilla" I can't wait for the other fps's to come out so alot of these people can go grip in their forums(and they will) so we can talk tactics and history.

Reactions: Xienen
Upvote 0