• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forced initial aim zoom.

Jazm

Sep 15, 2011
Norway
Have been playing RO2 since the beta a little while now, and have but one gripe, and it's starting to be more and more of a problem for me.

I'm talking about the totally non optional aim zoom that happens when you want/need to go ADS, not the hold shift optional aim zoom.
As it is now, RO2 has one of the strongest ADS aim zoom of any fps I have played (my bread and butter in PC gaming), which is surprising when one looks at RO1 and it's ADS function.

The problem here is CQB situations that arises as a necessity in just about every map, you go into a building to clear or defend a territory point and end up in having to fire your weapon, since there are no cross hairs to simulate point shooting abilities in CQB, you have to aim down your sight and get baffled by an extreme zoom factor that shatters your situational awareness and makes you feel like your looking up tour opponents nostrils. There are other options of course, you can blindly spray from your hips and and hope that you hit a limb for a bleed out kill after your dead (not so much an option if you like the rifle class), or you could just camp in a corner and hope to get the drop on a passing opponent.

Recognize the dilemma here guys?

My argument here is that with the zoom the way it is, it makes CQB more troublesome and scary then it has to be, and in effect encourages camping, especially if you don't want to risk negative K/D ratios for clan applications.
The way it is now, it's more run, spray and pray when it comes to CQB, and that something I think a lot of players are wanting to get away from with the RO game play experience.

What I'm proposing is that you also make the initial aim zoom optional, and I stress optional since, I'm not wanting to take away anything from the types of players that needs and uses aim zoom for any reason or situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomskytten
Go to

mydocuments\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\config

scroll down to the section that says:

[ROGame.ROPlayerController]

below you see the following options:

IronSightZoomScaleSMG=1.00000
IronSightZoomScaleRifle=1.00000
IronSightZoomScaleBipod=1.00000

To remove the default ironsight zoom you can probably set it at 0, to put it somewhat between the current amount and the base fov you can put it at 0.5.

Personally I use .5 and like it that way :). A tad bit of zoom like in killingfloor, but enough for to still fight in cqc. The zooming in while in ironsights is the main reason I think for the complaints about the low fov.

While the fov on a 16:9 monitor is 85-90 when zooming in while in ironsights its about 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazm
Upvote 0
It would be better for it to be optional, and without going into the config files. I agree with the original post, that it is good in general, but close quarters just screws you up.

I have yet to dial in range ever while playing. I would be happy if the first level of zoom was controlled by the mouse wheel (when in ironsights) and range dialling was bound to another key.

Upvote 0
It would be better for it to be optional, and without going into the config files. I agree with the original post, that it is good in general, but close quarters just screws you up.
It was an option during part of the beta, but they had to remove it for the time because it was too buggy (not hitting exactly where you're aiming). So use it at your own risk

Upvote 0