• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire Scrap the Unlock System

Weapon unlocks are the way things are today in gaming, if you don't like it then you are going to be hating every FPS multiplayer game from now on. I like them as they add something to work towards, but they have to be fair unlocks that grant no extra powers to uber users over the average users. These things will not be realized until much later when everyone has them unlocked so it's a waiting game for now.

Also I bought the Deluxe edition for the beta not some hats and early weapon unlocks.

Upvote 0
Weapon unlocks are the way things are today in gaming, if you don't like it then you are going to be hating every FPS multiplayer game from now on. I like them as they add something to work towards, but they have to be fair unlocks that grant no extra powers to uber users over the average users. These things will not be realized until much later when everyone has them unlocked so it's a waiting game for now.

Also I bought the Deluxe edition for the beta not some hats and early weapon unlocks.

Unfortunately your correct, but I like them as well. When they work, and yes commercial vs. indie aside. Generally when you pop in COD or BF they work day one.

And believe me reviewers will make comparisons.

Upvote 0
I don't like unlock systems that much either, but I don't believe in an all or nothing solution. Perhaps a tweak to the level up system would make the game both more balanced, and more realistic, while leaving something to be worked toward.

My Solution-

Elite classes should be unlockable rather than simply another class to choose from. These classes would be unlocked once you become a certain level with the regular classes. It is in these classes that weapons like the G43 and SVT 40 are unlocked. Also just like in the game as it is now, these classes will be limited on each map to ensure that not everyone can run around with a G43 and SVT40.

Simply put, you have to put in your time with the k98 and mosin-nagant before you get to become and elite rifleman with his elite weaponry. Same would work for the assault classes unlocking into elite assault and access being given to the MKB and AVT.

As far as some of the attachments go, like the extended clips and the prototype add ons. Though i disagree with them, they should be used as the unlocks that you get once you gain the highest level of a class, and become a hero.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
I don't like unlock systems that much either, but I don't believe in an all or nothing solution. Perhaps a tweak to the level up system would make the game both more balanced, and more realistic, while leaving something to be worked toward.

My Solution-

Elite classes should be unlockable rather than simply another class to choose from. These classes would be unlocked once you become a certain level with the regular classes. It is in these classes that weapons like the G43 and SVT 40 are unlocked. Also just like in the game as it is now, these classes will be limited on each map to ensure that not everyone can run around with a G43 and SVT40.

Simply put, you have to put in your time with the k98 and mosin-nagant before you get to become and elite rifleman with his elite weaponry. Same would work for the assault classes unlocking into elite assault and access being given to the MKB and AVT.

As far as some of the attachments go, like the extended clips and the prototype add ons. Though i disagree with them, they should be used as the unlocks that you get once you gain the highest level of a class, and become a hero.

A well thought out idea, I actually like it. I would just ask that putting in our time is tens of hours, just not hundreds of hours. Unless players are given the capability to experience all the weapons in single player or some other mode or by different means (Maybe coop in the future).

Upvote 0

I already hate all modern FPS

that's why I play Warsow instagib

Even though I'm terrible at it

Upvote 0
Right now its for the best, just allow everyone access to everything. Leave it like it was in RO1, who gets it first. Keep the battlefield commendations, thus allowing good players get a chance to use that particular class and or load out.

Already in firefight, everyone can use any class and load out, obviously keep the restrictions in Countdown and Territory.

Keep the honor system to penalize team killers and greifers. If you want the heroes to still remain exclusive, then make it a simple If-then statement. If "Honor Level 50 (or whatever)" then "unlock".

The reason I say this is that right now is the most critical time in your games life. Fortunately PC only titles get pushed back a little bit for review. However with the state that the game is in, reviewers will not be kind. They shouldn't have to be, the game was pushed back for later release (Don't think they won't bring that up).

I understand your a small indie team, however you went for something a bit grandiose. And unfortunately it is in human nature to attack those that fail. Sites like RPS and HardOCP, may be a bit forgiving since their sites are dedicated to PC gaming. But not by much, consumers generally expect products to work day one. And in a small community like PC gaming, word of mouth can be more powerful than anything else.

And when a lot of traffic on your forums, official and steam state that the game is a mess. People might just wait for a sale. Or not buy at all.

So unlock everything, refund the extra amount of money for the DDE, give everyone the TF2 hats, etc. But focus on optimization, stability, and bug fixing. Don't listen too those who say the game is perfect, it may be for them... But a lot of people are having problems. And you don't want reviewers to have the same problems!

Just my 2 cents...
Refund the extra $10 for the DDE???

Oh boy....you sir are a cheap a$$

Upvote 0
Right now its for the best, just allow everyone access to everything. Leave it like it was in RO1, who gets it first. Keep the battlefield commendations, thus allowing good players get a chance to use that particular class and or load out.

Already in firefight, everyone can use any class and load out, obviously keep the restrictions in Countdown and Territory.

Keep the honor system to penalize team killers and greifers. If you want the heroes to still remain exclusive, then make it a simple If-then statement. If "Honor Level 50 (or whatever)" then "unlock".

The reason I say this is that right now is the most critical time in your games life. Fortunately PC only titles get pushed back a little bit for review. However with the state that the game is in, reviewers will not be kind. They shouldn't have to be, the game was pushed back for later release (Don't think they won't bring that up).

I understand your a small indie team, however you went for something a bit grandiose. And unfortunately it is in human nature to attack those that fail. Sites like RPS and HardOCP, may be a bit forgiving since their sites are dedicated to PC gaming. But not by much, consumers generally expect products to work day one. And in a small community like PC gaming, word of mouth can be more powerful than anything else.

And when a lot of traffic on your forums, official and steam state that the game is a mess. People might just wait for a sale. Or not buy at all.

So unlock everything, refund the extra amount of money for the DDE, give everyone the TF2 hats, etc. But focus on optimization, stability, and bug fixing. Don't listen too those who say the game is perfect, it may be for them... But a lot of people are having problems. And you don't want reviewers to have the same problems!

Just my 2 cents...

*sigh*..... bore.....

Not that I'd suspect them to take this seriously, but I'd suggest Trip not to listen to any of this.

Leave everything the way it is and as it was planned.... take your time to fix up the existing issues & patch.

I can wait an extra day or two for things to be fixed, and it'd be too much of a bother and waste of time to do any of the above when that time could be used fixing real problems, not pandering to moaners & those ignorant of the gaming industry.

Oh wait, I forgot something:

aging-tough-guy.jpg

I'm an RO Mod Vet, so I'm more right than RO1 Vets :p

You can buy the DDE right now, your not going to get a beta. And if they take my suggestions why should you pay extra for something everyone will receive?

The beta has passed and gone, anybody purchasing the DDE now should be fully aware of that by now.

Tripwire is know for its generosity. They should give everyone the TF2 hats, and the KF skins. Probably go over well to clam down the crowd.

No it won't because someone will always complain about something no matter what you do for them.

This launch has not been great, and reviewers will definitively take note if when they post their review their are certain issues still plaguing the title.

Anybody who actually listens to game review web sites are not much of a concern as they usually don't know wtf they're talking about anyways or always try and compare every single game to BF, CoD or WoW..... and if it doesn't spoon feed them everything they want like those games, than it's crap to them.

People should always..... always listen to every day players of a game to get some valued opinion on the game.

^ And even then it's tricky, as you'll have those ignorant on the game industry and gaming in general who moan and complain about things they obviously know nothing about..... and then you have those people who can be objective, unbiased and know how the game industry works who can give you an informed and valued opinion.

And some people won't like that anyways, so the most logical solution for anybody is to watch gameplay videos and try it out for themselves.

There were many games I bought based on "Good" reviews from these review sites, only to find that I can't stand the game and feel it's not just a pile of total crap, but a waste of my money.

There have been a few games that I knew I couldn't return, I had no interest in playing again and had no friends who would want it, so I literally tossed them in the trash.

A $40 price tag is a bit better right now, then a $50 price tag that only gives you throwaways. Because unfortunately the unlock system, stats system, and honor system is still broken.

FFS, it's been 24 hours give or take.... it'll get fixed for C's Sake..... suddenly demanding that they spend a pile of time re-coding, re-editing, re-working and re-funding people just because you didn't get your precious unlocks and stats progression working perfectly right off the bat is ridiculous because it'll take them longer to do all of that than it would to just keep working on fixing the current issues.

My Jebus, what's wrong with people today?

Disclaimer:

For the record, I'm not stating any of this in some lame attempt to be a fanboy or whatever you want to call it. Regardless of the video game in question, including ones I would never play or just don't like, I would be saying the exact same things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It could also help to be different, WW2 just doesn't cut it anymore.

The problem they have right now is that their game is still in beta, and for some reason a lot of "fans" just don't want to admit that. Because well Tripwire will fix the issues. However the majority of people who buy games, expect them to work day one. This is a justifiable line of reasoning.

Also reviewers will make comparisons to their contemporaries in the FPS genre. And that is going to bring up COD and Battlefield, whether you like it or not. And both of those games are going to have a better rank progression system. Simply for the fact that the entire experience is built around it.

People were willing to wait for the game, it should have been pushed back. No gamer should have to put up with issues on day one. You might call that entitlement, I call it good business sense. If the game is not fixed soon, bad reviews are going to pile up. That saying about first impressions is very much true.

I am willing to give the game some time for it to be fixed, but I shouldn't have to wait. And a lot of potential customers might start walking away.

Upvote 0
Mhhh...odd issue.

I never missed unlocks in ro1 and i remember that many people hated the idea of the simple introduction of steam achievements.

I like how the Honor system works through. And i like some varity thrown into the good ole standard RO procedure.

IMO, the whole stats thing is cool and i tried NOT to care about but iam affrait i cant. The level up makes sense. If you dont like that just play bolt only and be happy. What is the problem of ignoring the stats as a whole ?

If some people expected a bump free release..well they might be disappointed but keep in mind that ro1 sold pretty well over the years and if i would have trusted in reviews i would have never buyed it.

That said i think TWI is very well aware of the potential harm such a bumpy release might carry but also will learn alot from it. Just give it some time and enjoi the game you have as is. ( yeah i know the impationites will cry wolf...get your refund already..ty )

Upvote 0
RO is a game for WW2 buffs, If they would have switched to modern warefare I would not have bought it. RO is what it is and it needs to stay what it is.

That's what I am saying, yet they went and put a rank progression system in the game. They did for cool reasons, and had it worked out of the box day one... no one would be complaining. But the steam forums are starting to fill with people asking where their "shiny new guns I spent more money for" are.

Which means people are going to ask for refunds, the game will be spoiled by negative press. Word of mouth and then until its fixed potentially industry review. Which means less sales.

It's not the end of the world, but the more it goes unfixed... the more other issues will become greater. Plus its not good when people mix them like: "I paid ten dollars extra, still don't have my guns. Oh and yeah the game not optimized..."

Side Note* In the poll on if the game should have been delayed more, I chose a month.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately your correct, but I like them as well. When they work, and yes commercial vs. indie aside. Generally when you pop in COD or BF they work day one.

And believe me reviewers will make comparisons.

Well maybe they should also compare how in BF:BC2 I had to spend two weeks bouncing back and forth between forums and EA Support to get my game running decently, not crashing and to finally get the unlocks I was supposed to get two weeks prior...... and the game was already out for over a year at that time.... and was made by a big wig game developer with piles of man power and money behind them.

Did I start running around and demanding my money back simply because of the above?

No, because a game is not some sort of life-dependant service.... it is not a vehicle in the shop that I need to get to work with..... it's a game and so long as it is patched, fixed and problems resolved, I'm fine.

People going on about not having unlocks on Day 1 is a bit silly..... as if they're suddenly at a disadvantage in the game or something. Day 1 Unlocks means you will get those specific unlocks before all those other people who grind to unlock them.... which means as soon as possible, you'll get them and can use them, once they fix this issue, which everybody is having.

People are taking this "Day 1 Unlocks" a little too literally.

Tell you what.... how about someone come back to me and find an official definition of what "Day 1 Unlock" really means, because if you really wanted to legally fight this trivial issue and demand a refund because of it, you're going to have to do this first if you want to have any sort of case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People are taking this "Day 1 Unlocks" a little too literally.

Tell you what.... how about someone come back to me and find an official definition of what "Day 1 Unlock" really means, because if you really wanted to legally fight this trivial issue and demand a refund because of it, you're going to have to do this first if you want to have any sort of case.

Day One

Now yes that's an internet definition, however Merriam Webster is somewhat known around the world. In the digital distribution sense, or physical media. That means day of release continuing forward.

Technically it would only be an issue after the very first 24 hours after release, because on the steam page it says day one. Well day one is already over, meaning people have a legitimate complaint to file with Steam Support. Made more so pressing because they paid an extra $10.

I am willing to wait, but I shouldn't have too. People have the right to complain.

Upvote 0
>Implying that TF2 hats, KF skins, and 2 weeks of beta on top of some in-game perks (which are broken for EVERYONE, by the way, including people who bought the regular edition) is nothing extra.

Seriously, you people are the most entitled bunch of chuckleheads I've ever run across. It's been less than 24 hours and you're already demanding refunds because you didn't get a shiny new gun the INSTANT you started up RO2.

That's just hilarious to me.

Josef, you post like 50 times a day, and are so far inside tripwires anus that you can't find your way out.

let me try and create a simple analogy for you that you might understand because it's really quite simple.

A company is selling two laptops, one with a 4gb of ram, the other with 2gb, they charge

Upvote 0