• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 peak at 9300 players

I'm not sure. I only got introduced to steam in late 2007 with Team Fortress 2's release and I'm pretty sure statistics didn't exist back then. Wikipedia says RO:OST was released in 2006 so I automatically assumed steam didn't exist either :) No idea

ROOST released the 15th of March 2006, as I recall it it was one of the earlier non-Valve games on Steam - not the first, I know at least Darwinia, Space Empires IV & Rag Doll Kung Fu came out prior, but I'd guess one of the first ten or so. Steam itself was made public as early as 2002, and in 2004 replaced WON as the online system in Counter-Strike. Not sure when they started showing online statistics though.

Upvote 0
Not everyone is playing at the same time either...plus alot of people don't buy games on release due to bugs so they wait for it to be patched up.

It was never going to be as popular as BF or CoD...in a year or so then there will be a hardcore bunch of players left who will be more than enough to keep the game going for a few years.

Upvote 0
it will go down.

i say in 1 month the population will be 50% of what it is now

This game is not very deep or open ended. Few days of the beta and i already felt i had experience everything there is to the game.

Consistently 1st and 2nd place, i felt as though there is no more room to learn or achieve.

Just my 2cents, dont hate

Upvote 0
Thing is loads of maps and mutators will come out which will keep the game alive...also join a realism unit...then the game will have legs.

The maps released so far wont be a patch on many of the user made maps...just like RO.

It will be the old RO players who wont abandon the game when the next new shiney FPS comes out....they are the ones that will keep the game alive, aswell as the new converts to this kind of FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many people are waiting for a boxed release.

Many kiddies are too young to get a Mastercard and too scared of their parents to sneak it out of their wallets (to buy on Steam).

People were buying boxed RO1 even 5 years after release.

so just be patient...

My mother beat me when I stole her visa card so I just use paypal and moneydot cards now :D

Upvote 0
Here's something all of you need to remember/think about.

COD Black Ops (not unlike the other COD's or BF's) falls into the category of "overhyped, underwhelming FPS experiences" and therefore with those types of games it's like a firework. Lots of initial dazzle that falls of sharply as time goes on.

RO2 (not unlike RO1 or other gritty shooters) falls into the category of "steep learning curve, high satisfaction experiences" and therefore with these types of games it's more like a slow burning candle. Low initial player count that is augmented by the friends of a player after hearing about/watching those immensly satisfying moments one can only experience in a game such as RO2.

At the end of the day, we're almost talking about two different sub-genre's within the FPS world. The "insta-gratification-but-leaves-you-feeling-empty-over-the-long-term" hype-driven FPS, and the "slowly-addicting-leaving-you-with-a-feeling-of-great-satisfaction" word-of-mouth-driven FPS.

Apples and Oranges really.........to each their own I guess.

...just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure. I only got introduced to steam in late 2007 with Team Fortress 2's release and I'm pretty sure statistics didn't exist back then. Wikipedia says RO:OST was released in 2006 so I automatically assumed steam didn't exist either :) No idea

My profile says that I've been a Steam member since 2005. I got a free code for HL2 and needed Steam to download.

After checking Wikipedia it was launched in 2003.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just hope it doesn't pull a Brink. It had about 17000 at release, then a week later around 10000, then a week later 5000, then a week later 2000 and now it barely pulls 300 hundred (but that game deserves no players, this does - when it's fixed :D).

I know the games aren't compairable BUT never trust day 1 stats, give it a bit for the amount to settle.

Upvote 0

COD Black Ops (not unlike the other COD's or BF's) falls into the category of "overhyped, underwhelming FPS experiences" and therefore with those types of games it's like a firework. Lots of initial dazzle that falls of sharply as time goes on.

RO2 (not unlike RO1 or other gritty shooters) falls into the category of "steep learning curve, high satisfaction experiences" and therefore with these types of games it's more like a slow burning candle. Low initial player count that is augmented by the friends of a player after hearing about/watching those immensly satisfying moments one can only experience in a game such as RO2.

At the end of the day, we're almost talking about two different sub-genre's within the FPS world. The "insta-gratification-but-leaves-you-feeling-empty-over-the-long-term" hype-driven FPS, and the "slowly-addicting-leaving-you-with-a-feeling-of-great-satisfaction" word-of-mouth-driven FPS.

Apples and Oranges really.........to each their own I guess.

...just my 2 cents.

I wouldnt say this game as a steep learning curve at all.

Also it is worth noting that TW spent considerable effort trying to make this game more accessible to a more casual crowd; gone are the hard and difficult gameplay elemnts, replaced by something shallow and easy to pick up.

THerefore, many of these players fall into the group of casual gamers. I'd say out of that 9000 maybe 2000 of them are realism/ro fans. So when the next shooter roles around (i.e. MW3 and BF3) many of the causal fans will leave for those.

Either way it does not help RO2's numbers.

RO2 is in limbo in my opinion. Not nearly as challenging and realistic/authentic as RO, and not accessible enough like BF and CoD.

It has alienated its core fans, and the casuals. Instead it appeals to this awkward group of hybrid players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man how old are you? Valve has had most of their games since 2002-03 on there. Have you heard of half life 2 or counter strike source?

Upvote 0
it will go down.

i say in 1 month the population will be 50% of what it is now

This game is not very deep or open ended. Few days of the beta and i already felt i had experience everything there is to the game.

Consistently 1st and 2nd place, i felt as though there is no more room to learn or achieve.

Just my 2cents, dont hate
That's probably exactly why they put in the unlocks, so people feel like they have something to work towards and keep coming back for.

But I don't think that alone is the type of thing that will keep people from coming back. L4D2 is about as shallow and repetitive as it gets yet people are still playing it in droves.

Upvote 0
[URL]http://store.steampowered.com/stats/[/URL]

More or less than you expected? Could it go up or is it downhill from here?

(The beta staretd out at 4000 peak early and was at around 2000 before release.)

Less than expected ... I was specting at least about 25000 , but I think that is not a bad start .

RO1 was launched at steam just as RO2 , I remember buying it the day that it was launched .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

black ops is nearly a year old and still has a huge player base. Heck up to the release of BF:BC2 lots of people were still playing BF2. I'm not buying this argument- sounds nice but I don't think the numbers back it up.

Upvote 0
I don't know what I shall think of approx. 9000 players. I mean, there is no real relation to this number. What would be interesting to see is the number of sold RO 2 copies up to now. If they only sold about 9000 copies (I know this can't be it as loads of people have to sleep sometimes and are in another time zone etc.), then I would be worried.

My guesstimation is that no more than a 6th of the people that purchased RO 2 is playing at the same time during the week. I am not coming up with an explanation why I think roughly 50k copies have been sold, just state it here.

It would be great to hear from the devs though, how many copies they sold.

If I remember correctly, RO was sold around about 250k times over 6 years. I expect the same for RO 2.

Btw. I am still downloading RO 2 and yet have to enter the battlefield. So one more player here ;-)

Upvote 0