• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seriously Folks - RO2 is not COD

Word. Come to think of it, I can expect the mainstream media reviewers to rate it negatively just because "It is not CoD". Mark my words.

Majorly looking forward to the G4TV review.

I hope TWI doesn't take the incoming critical response to heart. Between the rough release and the inherit difficulty of the game, and the simplsitic SP, I think there's going to be a lot of negative reviews, but as per usual; like ROOST, HOS will remain one of the most respected games on the market for years to come by anybody with half a brain.

hmmm...i would say it has more in common with BF than with ARMA. It has the accessibility of BF, but no where near the depth and realism of ARMA.
[/offtopic]

ARMA is a big "big picture" realism game, but fails to represent any dramatical seriousness in the environment or combat, and the gameplay mechanics are poor and simplistic at best. It's tank combat is lousy and highly unrealistic (t72 can knock out an Abrams? lol yeah right), the flight mechanics defy the laws of physics and the infantry combat is stilted and very awkward.

In terms of actual infantry combat, HOS is a more realistic game in the way the mechanics handle, but doesnt offer the same overall scope of combat that arma has.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Funny you say that. Go play some COD UO and you will quickly find out that the recoil is more "hardcore" than RO2.

Personally I'm finding RO2 recoil to be somewhat arcadish...

I went from DOD:S to CODUO few months back and I had problems controlling the guns.

hahahaha this new Chaos kid is cracking me up with every new post about how COD UO was the most amazing ww2 game of all time.. lol, he's like proud in saying he came from Day of Defeat... and calls RO2 arcadeish ROFL

Upvote 0
Tonight I saw something really wierd...

An enemy in front of me (60m, prone) was standing and started to move left and right still aiming at me... I missed him and he killed me in the same moment...

I was like "meh", where did I see something similar? Ah, playing BC2...

It's not a good signal.

I hope to never see a guy jumping to avoid headshots...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 still has more in common with Arma and RO1 than it does with BF let alone COD...find a few more inventive adjectives and pronouns to sling.

well tbh to me it looks more like COD than it does ro1 or arma - now i'm not saying that's how it plays or even that it's necessarily a bad thing, but i can only be honest about what my eyes tell me.

If i didn't know better; that is to say i was aware of RO and COD2 from a few years back, and then i saw footage of HoS with no prior knowledge, i would presume it to be more likely related to to latter rather than the former.
That said, as the activision series is undeniably slick and polished, that's a good thing (as long as gameplay elements of the former are present)

Phaps this superficial similarity is what is prompting the comparison, from people who are commenting before they have barely scratched the surface.
It is also a ridiculously easy way to make a dramatic statement of course.

Upvote 0
The people complaining about this game not being realistic are the same people that say that balance should be considered before realism.

Just my two cents.
Perhaps because they know the difference between a pointless "realistic" feature and an important-for-immersion "realistic" feature the difference between a single realistic feature and its terrible consequences.

Example :

- realistic feature : Lots of SMG available (see Rrralphster post if you don't believe it), ingame SMG accuracy are very close to real life "technical" accuracy.

- unrealistic consequences of that realistic feature :
* Players running out in the open in the street, to run'n'gun-snip enemies behind a window at 100m, with a SMG.
* Players storming a building ALONE (which is not what Chuikov describes).
* Players running behind enemy lines alone, without defending their recently-captured position (= always on the run), since there is no one behind them to secure the position.
* Players spraying enemy position/walls without much care for ammo rationing (I don't think they had too much ammo on their hands...).

People are saying "RO2 is CoD" because for a simple reason : the pace of the game.

RO2 pace is faster than RO1 pace :

- Increased sprinting speed

- Increased running speed

- Increased stamina (you can sprint to the frontline without going under 30% stamina)

- Efficient mantling system (no more obstacles)

- More SMG available = faster and more action-packed encounters

On RO1, everything is slower : movement, captures, shooting. You feel like you're carrying a pretty-heavy gear equipment with you.
On RO2, you're really "naked" : you jump over obstacles/fences with ease, sprinting around isn't a problem.

CoD pace has always been pretty fast, both on the movement side and on the shooting side.

RO2 is closer to CoD in terms of game pace. Deal-with-it :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with RO2 being allot faster than RO1. But COD, really?....really?.......COD? lol That first zombie mission that franchise made was fun for a few minutes, after you quit the main part of the game because it sucks. Then they tried to remake that and failed, they fluke'd it basically. And now that allot of better less commercial games are coming out, COD has to give away free demos and trials to try and draw people back.

Holding down the trigger finger while running around in spastic circles might be some peoples cup of tea I suppose? But games like Red Orchestra are pushing the boundaries, and arn't made by executives in an office working for EA or THQ.
COD's gameplay is fluent, easy to jump into with mates and have a play and has pretty much no learning curve (which is minimally debatable). It's like the Backstreet Boys of FPS c'mon. This is a Tripwire forum, no one compare these games again......please, for those of us who arnt trolling anyway.:p

Upvote 0
Tonight I saw something really wierd...

An enemy in front of me (60m, prone) was standing and started to move left and right still aiming at me... I missed him and he killed me in the same moment...

I was like "meh", where did I see something similar? Ah, playing BC2...

It's not a good signal.

I hope to never see a guy jumping to avoid headshots...

I use the tactic,in R.O. can saves your life really,hard if you go vs. an auto gun.In this case,you lost the duel,next time,maybe the guy run at your face just to bayoneting you,it hurts also.

At last,its a legal tactic i think but you can

Upvote 0
DOD is arcadish?

First I hear....

LOL you can't be serious... Omg you have to be trolling now.. You honestly Think Day of Defeat Source is a REALISTIC shooter?? Man I feel bad for you if you do honestly think that and aren't just trying to troll. I'm not even going to begin listing all the unrealistic aspects of DOD:S to you lol. Don't get me wrong its a fun arcadey ww2 online shooter but yeah, far from realistic..

You wanna try something realistic try WWII Online, a massive mmo that is half the scale size of europe in an ongoing 24/7 war with real people doing everything, infantry, tanks, anti tank guns, anti air guns, naval ships, EVERYTHING. Go try that then look at DOD...

Upvote 0
CoD pace has always been pretty fast, both on the movement side and on the shooting side.

RO2 is closer to CoD in terms of game pace. Deal-with-it :D

Closer to RO1 really. While the movement may (sort of) be like CoD, the aiming and mechanics are not, and that matters more.

Holding down the trigger finger while running around in spastic circles might be some peoples cup of tea I suppose? But games like Red Orchestra are pushing the boundaries, and arn't made by executives in an office working for EA or THQ.
COD's gameplay is fluent, easy to jump into with mates and have a play and has pretty much no learning curve (which is minimally debatable). It's like the Backstreet Boys of FPS c'mon. This is a Tripwire forum, no one compare these games again......please, for those of us who arnt trolling anyway.:p

HEH

Upvote 0