• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Newest patch: Max FOV is 75. Permanent change?

I've got some questions. Supposedly you can change default FOV in the config...

Can anyone tell me which of the myriad of config files holds the change for default FOV?

Two, supposedly there is a way to edit whether the FOV in ironsight and "zoom" modes actually produces a zoom effect....does anyone know where this is or whether this can actually be tweaked via config?

There is nothing for zoom FOV or zoom magnification in the game settings manual and I cannot as yet find anything in any of the config files.

Appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm sick of this, NOT EVERYBODY PLAYS ON A 23" MONITOR FROM THE LAST NEWEGG SALE.

Some people are horrible monsters like me who play Arma, Rise of Flight, iRacing, and many other titles that support wide FOV. Why? Because I play on a 90" projection screen a mere few feet in front of me.

Am I cheating? I don't give a **** because I basically have the width of eyefinity with significantly greater vertical room at the expense of pixel density. At 4xAA this is perfectly fine, EXCEPT when I can't change my field of view and the Mosin Nagant on my screen is the size of a goddamn giraffe.

70 FOV is absolutely horrible on my setup, but I don't care because I don't play those games anyway, it just so happens that titles that cater to my tastes tend to have modifiable FOV settings.

Essentially it's the same thing as having a 40" TV sitting right on your desk.

Here's an old photo from years ago back when my screen was too high.

In my post where I said I personally considered cranking up FOV I did make an exception for people with like a three screen setup. I didn't write an exception for mig momma uber screens like yours because almost no one has that :p

I understand that if you buy such a thing you use it, with a fov that fits it.
In my post I defended my perfectly defendable opinion that big FOV boosting is cheating.

Imagine a clan match final in a tournament where one team has 20% more vision. That is a clear advantage depending on the map and playstyle.

I was not arguing as some have noticed, against the 70-90 slider, but against people wanting to rank it up even more.

Upvote 0
Wide FOV is not a distinct advantage over smaller FOVs necessarily because a smaller FOV gives you greater magnification if you are setting it to the same monitor size.

That's why, of course, we have zoom magnification in ADS. It's seen as an advantage.

Really, it's situational, which is why I actually prefer wider FOVs. I prefer having my peripheral vision, but some people prefer having smaller FOVs for better target identification/magnification.

I mean, think of a sniper scope. A sniper scope limits your field of view, or hell, even a peep iron sight does that, but that's in exchange for a more narrow, focused, and in the case of a sniper scope, magnified picture within that same field of view. And that's certainly not seen as a disadvantage. See the number of people that clustered around the sniper role in Ost Front.

Upvote 0
Honestly this whole "FOV is cheating" argument is pointless. Is it cheating to buy really nice sound card and headphones so you can hear footsteps from 50 feet away? Is it cheating to buy a bigger monitor so everything on the screen is bigger and easier to see?

There's always a tradeoff when you adjust FOV so whatever a person may gain from a particular FOV value, they will lose something else. Low FOV makes everything bigger but it destroys your peripheral vision. High FOV gives you more peripheral vision but makes everything smaller and distorts the image.

But FOV adjustment is about COMFORT. I don't get motion sickness but I know people who do from playing games with low FOV. Personally, I hate playing a game and feeling like I have tunnel vision because the FOV is too low. It also makes it more difficult for me to aim because it feels like the camera is a foot or two in front of my guy's face in the game, so mouse movement does not respond like I expect it to. I need 90 at the bare minimum to really feel comfortable with a game, though I prefer 100-105.

And if you didn't watch this already, watch it now:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

I'm trying to understand why people are arguing.

EPISODE 29 FOV in Games part1 - YouTube

There's nothing to argue about.

And if you still don't understand why 70-75 is ridiculously low for a PC game, put it on repeat until you do.

Upvote 0
Your righteous indignation is just as telling. He hates being seen when he thought he wasn't, you hate being thought of as a cheat for wanting an "advantage" even though that is not your motivation.

Well, the thing is, it may not be the reason you do it, but it still helps you and you 'aren't going to turn down a little help if you weren't actually you know asking for it or anything...' are you?

I just felt a certain post was so obviously ignorant that I felt a doltish need to refute it.

Actually, I don't really care much about the feature, and as far as I'm concerned I will never use more than 80-85, as my eyes are already hurting from the overexposure built into the game as well as strain from focusing on small objects. If you get a larger monitor and increase the FOV further I very much doubt that you would be able to focus on the whole screen at the same time anyway. I do however agree that extreme FoVs on a small monitor can be considered cheating, but again 90 hardly is extreme.

My first post in protest to the removal of the feature was more of a protest towards the approach Tripwire seems to take to optimization, removing options that may or may not cause problems so that people who don't know what they're doing can't set everything to max and complain that they're having crashes afterwards. I find my ultra/high settings look far worse now, than at the beginning of the beta to no actual gain in performance. As it stands I couldn't be happier with the FoV as I don't find 75 a hindrance, and hardly anybody will have an advantage over me due to the removal of the extra 15 degrees. But I bought a PC to be able to customize the experience.

Btw, using low quality textures and whatnot will also give you an unfair advantage. How about increasing those pesky minimum requirements?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must be too sick from video game induced motion sickness right now, but can one of you game design experts explain to me how using a high field of view is "cheating" or an "unfair advantage" when everybody has the option to do the same as permitted within the rules?

I was born into a dirt-poor, drunken, Irish, middle-class, suburban-American family, plagued with 19" 5:4 monitors and chairs that made my butt boil more than the illogical arguments I encounter on this internet. Anybody can tell you that 5:4 aspect ratio is a disadvantage in all games, except maybe Tetris. What do you suppose a poor soul like me can do to compete against widescreen hat-idlers in TF2? I had two options. One was to lobby congress for a bill that would require all monitor manufacturers to not sell any monitors wider than 5:4, thus ensuing a new age of equality through unequal opportunities for individual happiness and a lucrative black-market in wider monitors. The other, logical, option was to be a man and play my games in window mode with a 16:10 resolution.

I'm not going to tell you what the moral of this story is because I think you should try figuring it out on your own using critical thinking skills. It will hurt at first but I promise you the discomfort will come nowhere close to what it is for myself to play pc games with a narrow FOV.

As for the most fair FOV value? How about we let server owners decide so everybody can be happy; except for the part where the community gets fragmented into FOV camps, followed by the FOV wars that consumes all of our lives but creates jobs in the process. So really that is not a bad thing, except unfortunately it won't happen because everybody will have what they want and there will be no reason for a war after all. In the end at least the game will be playable for both camps.

Happy campers. In this economy? This is how you create happiness - with FREEDOM! Kirk out.

Upvote 0