• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire Interactive's Next Venture

stayBlind

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Suwanee, GA
I was reading an interview with TWI's Vice President Alan Wilson and this caught my eye:

What are Tripwire’s plans after the release of Red Orchestra 2? Anything to look forward to soon? Do you plan to expand to other gaming genres or platforms?

First order of business will be catching up on sleep and family time, for everyone. We’ve probably ended up pushing our guys way beyond the point where someone should do an “angry wife” blog. But we’ll try and make it up to them – and try to make sure we learn the lessons!

We’ll be planning DLC for RO2 and for KF, for sure. Put some focus on Rising Storm, targeted for next year. And our own next major project is already in the concept stage.

Other genres – maybe. Other platforms – almost certainly. The only real questions are “which game” and “when”. We’re already involved in one piece for the mobile platform. And when we do other platforms (i.e. console), we’ll do it properly. Which means that the PC game will still be a PC game – and the console game will be designed to make the best use of the console. No “lowest common denominator”. That irritates the crap out of everyone (except perhaps the accountants at certain very large publishers).

So, I was just wondering, what type of projects would y'all like to see TWI pursue? Personally, I would like to see TWI's take on a RTS game (preferably for PC). I admire the many features (Crouch-sprinting is my personal favorite; why this is not in every FPS is beyond me.) that, in my opinion, were innovations to the FPS genre. I'm interested to see what TWI can bring to the RTS genre as far as game play mechanics. As for the setting, I'm not entirely too picky. A WWII RTS game which bridges the gap between games like Company of Heroes and Men of War (similiar to how the RO series attempts to bridge the gap between games like Arma and Day of Defeat) could be quite awesome.

So, what do y'all think? What type of game would you like to see TWI work on next and why?

Last edited:
I'd like to see them work on RO2 (this release) for a while before doing ANY DLC. After that, some of the DLC they are hinting at seems like a good start, and if they are clever with it I'm sure they'll keep a lot of interest going...

As for a new project? I do like a good RTS and I'd like to see a competitive RTS somewhere between CoH and SC2...

Upvote 0
My eyes hurt when I read they are planning to release awesome games for consoles :(. But I understand that might be where the big money is.

What about some kind of versus gameplay in Killing Floor? That will be total awesomeness!

Edit: as long as we don't get any console ports, I'm happy.

The versus play for Killing Floor would be really cool.

Like you said, the consoles are where the money is. I also find this line interesting:

We’re already involved in one piece for the mobile platform.

I think this is a smart investment for TWI. I don't play mobile games, but if they can tap into that market I think it would be beneficial and provide them some much needed income to expand (more testing, more employees, better equipment, etc.).

Upvote 0
I want TW to show consolers a game with the depth and features of RO (not nessasarilly a sequal) to make them say, "OMG so THIS is one of those famous TW games, its such a new experience!" Then I shall laugh because I had gotten RO1 at least 5 years prior and they didn't know what they have been missing.

I want TWI never to do a console project lol... You aint supposed to play shooters on that little thing-o-magic , find your peace with that fact , and accept it...

Anyway...

Even tho at first I would been kind of against TWI moving onto an RTS , I`d say that something like CoH , but good , would be amazing.

And as that guy said , Let them work on RO2 first , please :p

Upvote 0
I'd like to see them do some winter maps in the mountains. Many of these games don't do much with mountains, which I think is too bad as it takes out a dimension in the gaming. I remember playing Operation Flashpoint and being way up on a hill and blowing up a convoy with some mines. It was really cool because it really gave you a sense of height.

Perhaps a Norway expansion pack to RO2 with some skiing thrown in (we've got the the 10th Mountain Division up here in NY, so that could be why I dig it). In fact, you could use the 10th Mountain Division and have a northern Italy expansion. Wouldn't that be damn cool to be able to build a snow cave and pop out when the enemy is nearby? Or ski down a mountain trying to gun some of the enemy through the trees?

Upvote 0