• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestions for unlock systems

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
Reading the general mood on the forums, it seems that there are two main concerns people currently have with the upgrade system as currently implemented. I for one have to say that Red Orchestra 2 has proved itself to be a fantastic new entry in the RO franchise, with the core gameplay's spirit and some truly innovative new features unseen in any other multiplayer FPS. :) That said, the unlock system is my one and only remaining reservation concerning RO2. Without exaggeration, I believe it seriously affects the game.

First, however, I want to say that Tripwire has the full, uncontested right, no--obligation to take a long, well-deserved rest after the recent frenzy of the past year, especially the summer and September. ;) I'm a great fan of what the company's done, and while I am an avid history buff I can fully accept some comprimises on realism. I just want to make a few rational, calm, collected suggestions about ways to refine and improve the unlock system in the future.

Currently, the two biggest (reasonable) concerns shared in several threads by multiple voices are:

1) The inability to un-equip and re-equip attachments and upgrades either in-game, at the role select menu, or in the stats page itself.

2) The ease of availability of certain unlocks, both weapons and upgrades.

On the first point, I argue that the ability to add/remove upgrades earned would benefit both gameplay and immersion. If I wish to play as a Marksman class on Apartments, for instance, I would prefer to use a lower-magnification scope if possible. As mentioned by others, some might prefer to forego the G41 scope as well for similar reasons. Better equipment, at times, can be a disadvantage, and the inability to un-equip an upgrade not suitable for the task at hand would handicap a player in certain situations.

On a different note, many of the original RO:Ostfront fanbase will rack up many hours of play and kills on RO2, and consequently will unlock many pieces of equipment quite quickly. Adding the ability to add/remove upgrades earned would allow those frequent players who are more realism-oriented to earn upgrades and progression and to choose not to play with those upgrades that would affect their immersion. I think of myself as falling into that category--I don't mind facing a 75-rnd saddle-drum equipped MG34 in battle whatsoever so long as I myself can play with a historically accurate loadout when I choose German MG. :cool: I see your Mkb-42 and raise you a rifle butt :p I might also say that many of the new players attracted to RO2 are, while mainstream gamers, also profoundly impressed by the level of realism in-game. They too might appreciate the option to choose.

True, realism players "could" choose to play in unranked servers as well, but there are ample well-writted posts out there detailing various objections with that scenario, and I will not delve into that problem. Suffice to say that the nature of unranked servers with default weapons means that they neither recieve the desired realism nor the persistent stat tracking some history buffs wouldn't mind having.

I realize that this could potentially influence accumulated statistics if changed, so perhaps the 4x MN 91/30 and 6x MN 91/30, for instance, could be listed as different weapons in the role selection screen in the same manner as the TT-33 and Nagant are two distinct options. I am no interface expert, but perhaps the stats for the two different configurations could then be consolidated together on the stats page, even though they appear in-game as two seperate weapons.

As regards to the second issue, I again feel that limiting the availability of certain upgrades would also benefit both gameplay and immersion. Currently, on a 64-person server there is the potential for up to eleven German soldiers to be equipped with the MP40/II. Notwithstanding the historical arguments against such a setup, the prevelance later on of dual-mag MP40s could have a significant impact on gameplay. The ability of an Axis assault trooper to lay down sustained medium-range fire or to infiltrate a building cap full of unsuspecting Soviets and gun them down without abandon will be greatly increased by the 64 round clip. This, I argue, is due to the simple fact that with the MP40's low rate of fire, it already takes longer to exhaust its ammunition than the PPSh. In RO2 room clearing and infiltration, judging when to reload is a critical skill, and the gap presented by reloading presents an opportunity for an otherwise powerless rifleman to eliminate the assault threat.

As a comparision, the 35rd PPSh empties its mag in 2.3 secs. The 32 rd MP40 does so in 3.5 seconds. The 72rd PPSh in 4.8 secs, and the MP40/II has seven seconds of sustained fire. Seven seconds of burst firing at medium range or spraying in cqb. I argue that this would alter gameplay considerably further on from now, especially once German Elite Riflemen unlock the Mkb, etc...

As a result, a system to limit the use of these rare and highly powerful variants would greatly aid gameplay. The added benefits to immersion for the realism-oriented go without saying as well. Currently, with the MP40/II unlockable at level 25, it seems that this powerful weapon is far too simple to obtain.

In my opinion, the best outcome would see a return to the Hero Weapon concept of old, or a system where a given player can only use a rare weapon, say, three spawns a round. Even in that case, the MP40/II should still not be unlockable at just level 25.

I hope I've outlined my suggestions clearly and well. Consider them as you will, but please refrain from unleashing flame, vitriol, and rage.

Personally they should just give everyone access to all the weapons, get rid of the unlock system. And just let people choose what they want to use.

Their are more important things to worry about right now than unlocks, however because of the DDE they have to focus on that right now. Instead of focusing on optimization and getting rid of bugs.

Leave the honor system, and just make unlocking the hero a if-then statement. If "Honor Level 50 (55,70, 88, etc..)" then "Unlock".

Upvote 0