• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "should I buy it?" thread

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
I thought I'd make this thread for those who like the look of games that are out, but want opinions on and facts about games of their choice from different users to see if they may like it or not. I guess I'll open up with the first game and mini-discussion.

Civilisations V is now on a 75% off sale on Steam (

Last edited:
I never played a Civ game before and I like long-lasting strategy games such as Space Empires V, but I don't know what to expect from Civ 5.

Should I buy it? If so, why? If not, why, and could you suggest a better title?

If you are more about the eXterminate part of 4Xs, you might not get much fullfillment from CiV. Otherwise, yes get it.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Now, my two boys are telling me to buy Dead Island, (we communicate by Steam and all that shyte).
I'm gonna go and have a look tomorrow, they are both at the ranch for the week-end.
I can tell that they are having fun in co-op, (logging off at 5 in the morning :eek:).

Anybody here playing it, for real ?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Are you guys kidding me with this thread? It's bad enough RO2 Gen Discussion is swamped with trolls and idiotic posts. You should know better by now Gibby...

Who the hell is going to come searching through random posts in this thread in the hopes someone might be talking about the game you're interested in. POST IN THE DAMN THREAD RELATED TO THE GAME!

/end rant

Upvote 0
Are you guys kidding me with this thread? It's bad enough RO2 Gen Discussion is swamped with trolls and idiotic posts. You should know better by now Gibby...

Who the hell is going to come searching through random posts in this thread in the hopes someone might be talking about the game you're interested in. POST IN THE DAMN THREAD RELATED TO THE GAME!

/end rant

There's no need to get angry - YouTube

Upvote 0
If you are more about the eXterminate part of 4Xs, you might not get much fullfillment from CiV. Otherwise, yes get it.

Right, looking at the feedback from this thread, I've gone and bought it and played it a bit. I think it's pretty fun and addictive, and after all, I've been more excited by the economic/diplomatic sort of stuff found in 4x games, and I'm glad it's not too big on combat. 4x games with a focus on combat last for so long that it's a constant grind and it's no longer fun anymore.

So I quite like Civ 5. :D

Now, my two boys are telling me to buy Dead Island, (we communicate by Steam and all that shyte).
I'm gonna go and have a look tomorrow, they are both at the ranch for the week-end.
I can tell that they are having fun in co-op, (logging off at 5 in the morning :eek:).

Anybody here playing it, for real ?

Thanks.

I haven't played the game myself, but I have two friends playing it right now, and they say that they love it, despite being a bit buggy (although not gamebreaking, so they say) and a little bit consolish. If you're ok with that stuff and enjoy playing with friends in general, they say that it's a worthwhile purchase.

/end rant

85775514.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

/end rant
Spoiler!

Rock of ages actually looks like it's fun (unlike many games today).

Upvote 0
If you like Flashpoint 1 and ArmA 1 I'd say it's worth it.
ArmA1 was more like a facelift for Flashpoint and the mechanics stayed the same, for the most part.
ArmA 2 is the first game that's actually consciously updating the feel of Flashpoint, in my opinion. New way weapons handle (3d iron sights, finally), good looking head-bob when you're running around, you can mantle over fences... Graphics look great too, of course.

If you didn't like Flashpoint 1 or ArmA 1 I'd say stay away because ArmA 2 isn't that different from those games. Overall it's still the same old Flashpoint gameplay. Just feels a lot more like a modern shooter with the head-bob and the weapons and all.

Upvote 0
Hate to keep this evil thread alive but... :p

Arma 2 is just $5 at Gamersgate. Worths the buy?? if so, it may be activated through steam??

Combined operations: $14.98, but sadly I'm short for that one :p

You'll probably like ArmA, but all I can say is that it's more about simulating military operations than it is fun, but of course, you may enjoy it. $5 is a good price, I say. I got mine for

Upvote 0
Well, I forgot to say that I love Flashpoint (or Arma: Cold War crisis, now). I even played Arma 2, but it was by the days it was recently released and was buggy as hell. I like it a lot, but it crashed constantly in the pc I tried it.

What I want to know if the stability of the game is improved and if people still play it online

My specs:

GTX260
E8400
4GB DDRII

EDIT: I bought it :) Sadly It doesn't activate with steam :-/

Last edited:
Upvote 0