• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My opinions about the RO2 BETA

So you want it to be more realistic, but less realistic? TWI wanted RO2 to have very, very realistic weapons, and they've done so, and now you want them to have unrealistic weapons because they're good at what they do in real life?

To be honest? yes.

The game really feels unbalanced. So some realistic things can be sacrificed to better the game.
I know that weapons in real life are not balanced but it just doesn't work right in the game for me.

I'm a huge fan of Ro1, the game was almost perfect for me.
But Ro2 plays completly different.

Upvote 0
Realstic game =/= realistic experience.

If you make the guns more powerful and accurate than players feel safer and don't fear the penalty of death as much and thus they start to play unrealistically. I noticed this within the first hour of trying the beta and still do now. Compensation has to be done to make up for the fact that this is a game, which is by no means realistic.

Also it does not help that almost the ENTIRE game can be outfitted with SMG's. WTF Tripwire?

Last edited:
Reactions: NightriderAOF
Upvote 0
I completely agree with the original poster on all points.

I'd also like to throw my distaste in the ring for the barrel drift when in hip fire, in its current implementation. I completely get what Tripwire is trying to do with it, but it makes it virtually impossible for newcomers to have any chance of survival in close combat with a bolt action.

In my opinion, the barrel should seek center whenever the player isn't turning. If I come through a door and hook a right to take a corner in real life, I'm going to lead with the weapon, certainly. But as soon as I'm moving straight ahead again, that barrel is pointed forward. Having the barrel shift right and stay right (or left) makes no sense whatsoever.

Upvote 0
To be honest? yes.

The game really feels unbalanced. So some realistic things can be sacrificed to better the game.
I know that weapons in real life are not balanced but it just doesn't work right in the game for me.

I'm a huge fan of Ro1, the game was almost perfect for me.
But Ro2 plays completly different.

Then go play something else.

Upvote 0
I agree with all points!

The major issue is the extra zoom-in (should be removed completely) and the missing sway, imo. Firefights are over too quick and aiming does not take much skill.

In Ostfront, weapon support was very important for well placed shots. Now its irrelevant because you can hit anything standing. Also Pistols are far too lethal on long distances because of the accuracy. They should be for self defence in close distance (~10m).

Upvote 0
Then go play something else.

I don't think the dev's where planning to alter the game completly. Ro1 made them popular so why would they change...
With some wrong combinations it just felt in the wrong place.

And I indeed will play something else if most of these things don't change.
But can't a man argue about a sequel of a game he really liked?

Hope I didin't hurt your feelings.

Upvote 0
My biggest irks:

Fix it so that dropping a few feet to the ground doesn't instantly kill the player. That's just silly, especially in a game that bothers to model things like cover, blind fire, mantling, and stamina. Surely you can figure out a way to allow the player to lower themselves one story that's at least reasonable. Instant death is about the lamest possible result. Other games may wound you or take some life from your health if you fall more than one story, but since RO2 is about more realism, then create a way to "mantle" down a ledge of one story or less onto the ground below.

The Server browser should not flood out the DNS on our routers when doing a Refresh. Fix that. It's a bug and another game had it and figured out how to fix it, so it's definitely fixable.

The server browser should allow sorting by column headers like Ping and Playercount.

A stationary MG shouldn't disappear when I exit it. I (or another player) should be able to use it next.

The menus are full of bad ergonomics and glitches. Please have them reviewed by someone with UI experience and polish them appropriately.

The end-match screens sometimes bug out and overlay each other, rendering them hard to read.

The server browser and other game menus seem to tax the hell out of the GPU, which is ridiculous. Review the design of the browser and menus to lighten the GPU load they are currently requiring. There's no reason a simple two-layer visual animation with some post-processing is causing my HD6950 to run its fan up to max like it's runing FurMark. No other game does this, nor does it do this when I'm actually in a match playing RO2. Only the menus cause this.

Upvote 0
Agreed 100%

Agreed 100%

Before everybody screams: 'This is a beta you idiot, things will change', I know that. I' am just gonne list all things what I dont like about the beta and what should change imo.:D

1. The bandage system

The bandage system is one of the most idiotic features in the game.
Getting hit in the arm what will increase sway was a pretty nice feature in Ro1.
In Ro2 it doesn't matter because you can instantly fix yourself with the magic bandage blessed by Gandalf himself. And if you don't heal yourself you will die in a few sec of bleedout, great...

2. Sway & recoil

Like everybody is saying, there is not enough sway. There is almost no reason to support your gun on a window. And where is the sway after a long sprint?
And whats up with the mp40's? They are like automatic rifles. I know the recoil on mp40's in ro1 are a little bit to much, but this is just stupid.

3. LMG

They where the most feared weapons on the battlefield. Playing has a LMG is awesome in Ro1. But since there is little to no sway at all in Ro2, LMG are just not effective anymore. When people see a LMG shooting it only takes a sec for the LMG to get shot.

4. to many SMG/Semi-Rifle classes

Speaks for itself. There are more SMG/Semi classes than Bolt-action rifles.
So when a player is forced to use a Bolt action rifle, He is ****ed. And its only option is to camp.

5. Maps are to small

Thats right, I found the maps to be pretty small.
I would also love to see some real Attack & defend maps.
like attacking a base rather then fighting in a part of the city. (mods will fix this)

6. walking through people

I dont like this one damm bit. I was in a melee fight and we kept walking through each other and missing or melee attacks. I dont care its handy for spawning or whatever, Its feels more real to just bump into people.

7. Rounds are to short

where in Ro1, a battle could last half an hour.
In Ro2 most battles finish around 10-15 min.

Sorry if I piss alot of Ro2 lovers off. But remember, this is just my opinion.

Also remember that I am aware that some things can be fixed by admins later when the game is released.

But for the rest, Ro2 just changed to much for me...

Grabbing rope*

Wow. great job. Everything you mentioned is so right.

Upvote 0