• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO1 Vets, there is a lack of

b737lvr

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
I couldn't help but notice that when playing maybe like 1/4 players have the RO1 Veteran medal...

Maybe this is why there are cheating issues, spamming issues, and such.

These people don't understand Red orchestra and don't think before coming onto these forums demanding improvements.

For those who ARE RO vets, before making another complaint, go play RO1 for at least half an hour, and through out playing it compare it to real life. After doing so I knew I had no complaints about RO2 at this point.

You're a few months late, this was discussed by many people while ago, and since then it has died down because they have gotten used to the system ;)

Just pulled this quote out of a thread that was complaining about RO1 realism.

Everytime I see a complaint thread i think of this Stewie I Don't Like Change - YouTube

Btw I have been playing RO1 since CD-ROM release

Last edited:
You should take the time to read some of the things the Ro1 vets say, other than just skim through it and assume their objections are based on (the lack of) realism.

It gets on my nerves. I see alot of good suggestions being made. I understand that not everybody agrees, but people seem to assume every complaint is based of realism.

Especially the people debating how hardcore and custom modes should be implemented get alot of flak. I find it weird that people hate them discussing a game mode that has been hinted strongly to be made to appeal the old RO crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qweets
Upvote 0
You should take the time to read some of the things the Ro1 vets say, other than just skim through it and assume their objections are based on (the lack of) realism.

It gets on my nerves. I see alot of good suggestions being made. I understand that not everybody agrees, but people seem to assume every complaint is based of realism.

Especially the people debating how hardcore and custom modes should be implemented get alot of flak. I find it weird that people hate them discussing a game mode that has been hinted strongly to be made to appeal the old RO crowd.

I agree with Maizel here. I may not agree with all the complaints people have, but at least some of them raise relevant concerns.
Since there is a lot different from Ro1 (in my eyes), the discussion alone is useful.

Upvote 0
MASSIVE OVER GENERALIZATION AND SIMPLIFICATION INCOMING: I think all the game needs at this point is a more intuitive and pervasive squad/teamwork system and you've got a winner. The current leadership and teamwork-oriented mechanics are so poorly implemented, they may as well be hidden.

... that and the obvious bugs and performance fixes. But that's not what this thread is about, so yeah.

This game REQUIRES teamwork for it to function properly. It must be fostered and encouraged at every turn, especially in a pub environment, even if doing so results in a few less-than-realistic icons or HUD indicators (and this is coming from someone who enjoys punishing realism).

If you create a game that hinges on near-realism and teamwork, tweaking your game just enough to attract the masses, you had damn well better include a slew of brilliant squad/leadership mechanics that encourage proper teamwork with a simple, elegant interface and intuitive in-game indicators.

It's currently impossible to coordinate with pubbers. I'm not even referring to a squad leader or commander directing troops ... (that's a whole other kettle of rotten fish) ... simply identifying and staying with your squad can be challenging, especially if you're playing Realism with hidden player tags.

I'm a team player. There's nothing I love more than playing with a group, accomplishing goals as a team, communicating, carrying out orders. I try my hardest to do so, even in a server full of strangers. At this point in time, it's damn near impossible. At least give me some hash marks over my squad mates. Something. ANYTHING! I want so badly to function within a squad, but it's just ... so ... difficult ...

I shouldn't have to belong to a realism unit in order to enjoy the game as it's meant to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I consider myself an RO ost vet, and even with the cast on my left hand I played for 3-4 hours yesterday with some mates. I was blown away, it's even better then I expected it to be even with the bugs. The game itself is what I would call a diamond in the rough, it still needs some work but it has far more potential then a plastic injection molded 'gem' like call of duty will ever have.

Reactions: Examiner2
Upvote 0
MASSIVE OVER GENERALIZATION AND SIMPLIFICATION INCOMING: I think all the game needs at this point is a more intuitive and pervasive squad/teamwork system and you've got a winner. The current leadership and teamwork-oriented mechanics are so poorly implemented, they may as well be hidden.

... that and the obvious bug and performance fixes. But that's not what this thread is about, so yeah.

This game REQUIRES teamwork for it to function properly. It must be fostered and encouraged at every turn, especially in a pub environment, even if doing so results in a few less-than-realistic icons or HUD indicators (and this is coming from someone who enjoys punishing realism).

If you create a game that hinges on near-realism and teamwork, tweaking your game just enough to attract the masses, you had damn well better include a slew of brilliant squad/leadership mechanics that encourage proper teamwork with a simple, elegant interface and intuitive in-game indicators.

It's currently impossible to coordinate with pubbers. I'm not even referring to a squad leader or commander directing troops ... (that's a whole other kettle of rotten fish) ... simply identifying and staying with your squad can be challenging, especially if you're playing Realism with hidden player tags.

I'm a team player. There's nothing I love more than playing with a group, accomplishing goals as a team, communicating, carrying out orders. I try my hardest to do so, even in a server full of strangers. At this point in time, it's damn near impossible. At least give me some hash marks over my squad mates. Something. ANYTHING! I want so badly to function within a squad, but it's just ... so ... difficult ...

I also think this is because of the speed of the game.

You spawn, zip along at warp speed, die eventually, respawn and repeat.

You only get a respawn timer of 18 seconds at the most, when you have spawned, you can sprint to your last location in 20 seconds.

There is just no penalty in taking chances and dying.

I hope upping the respawn time is a server side option.

I like the game, in general, but I think because of the general increase in pace, the tactics and teamplay have given in a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You only get a respawn timer of 18 seconds at the most, when you have spawned, you can sprint to your last location in 20 seconds.

I like the game, in general, but I think because of the general increase in pace, the tactics and teamplay have given in a bit.

Totally agree. RO2 does need a bit overall speed reduction, imho at least. :)

Upvote 0

True, but a large part of this also comes from not having any structure within the team. You throw 32 players on a side, tell them that capping is winning and present them with a flashing icon and the word "Attack!" ... you had better believe they're all gonna bee-line for that sum***** and it doesn't matter how fast they get there and how much sway they suffer once they arrive ...

You organize those 32 players into manageable, easily recognizable squads, give the commander and squad leaders an intuitive interface to issue orders (and the appropriate VOIP channels), reward the players for teamwork, make those rewards obvious and substantial and superior to anything a player can do as a lone wolf ... you're off to a good start.

Beyond that, there's a ton of things you could do to focus and streamline the experience, but they're all moot until the basic, fundamental squad and leadership mechanics are in place and functioning properly. Until that happens, it may as well be a shooting gallery.

Upvote 0
Been PC Gaming since 1998...

Been PC gaming since 1989...

You haven't "PC gamed" if you never had to tinker in the config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to get a game to run... Or the graphical world that opens upen when you replace an amber-black screen with a 256 colour VGA (that's 320x 240 pixels, baby) screen.

Those young'uns.

And to contribute: with every new iteration there will be an influx of new players and new features that will change how the gterher grow bitame plays. You can either grow bitter or deal with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Been PC gaming since 1989...

You haven't "PC gamed" if you never had to tinker in the config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to get a game to run...

those young'uns.

And to contribute: with every new iteration there will be an influx of new players and new features that will change how the gterher grow bitame plays. You can either grow bitter or deal with it.

Amen to that. I started with an old MSX. That was great fun.

The period in the early - mid nineties was the worst. Hours of messing around with incompatible hardware. Was great fun though, but I spend more time wrestling with my set up than actually gaming.

This only really got fixed when Direct X came out

Upvote 0
I am one of those people that bought RO1 the day it came out and I've played it continuously over the years until today. This is just my opinion on the game, but personally I'm extremely disappointed. This game is so drastically different from the first that I can see why very few vets are playing. To me, this doesn't feel like the Red Orchestra I fell in love with.

It's also worth noting that RO1 servers are still fully populated right now with the same RO1 vets that populated them before RO2's beta launch. Either they did not buy the DDE or they simply don't care much for the game. I'm hanging on to chunks of optimism here but I certainly feel like Tripwire has given me the middle-finger and are now catering to a different crowd.

Upvote 0