• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not enough incentive to play as a team?

Maybe they should implement a points system, so like when shooting the enemy in a cap zone you get bonus points, maybe implement it so you get extra points for killing when near your squad leader ?

I played with a squad that worked together a couple of nights ago, and by far it was the best and most fun experience of the game so far! It got me hooked and I try and encourage team work in every game I play now.

I should imagine it will all eventually fall into place though, it appears alot of people are starting to realise you cant just run up to the enemy as quick as possible and empty a round, unless your in apartments ofc! Patience in this game always pays off.

Upvote 0
Maybe they should implement a points system, so like when shooting the enemy in a cap zone you get bonus points, maybe implement it so you get extra points for killing when near your squad leader ?

I played with a squad that worked together a couple of nights ago, and by far it was the best and most fun experience of the game so far! It got me hooked and I try and encourage team work in every game I play now.

I should imagine it will all eventually fall into place though, it appears alot of people are starting to realise you cant just run up to the enemy as quick as possible and empty a round, unless your in apartments ofc! Patience in this game always pays off.

That pointsystem is already in place. Read my post in this thread...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let people learn the maps a bit and that new game smell to wear off. RO2 is NOT a run-and-gun experience, and people will learn pretty quickly that teamwork is what's truly effective.

In an ideal world. Perhaps.

What game have you ever played where people suddenly have an epiphany and realise the best way to play was as a team without the need for a carrot and stick approach? None is the answer.

At the moment RO2 lacks the obviousness of a team based shooter.

I might be doing the general playing populace a disservice by saying they need guiding, but for new players and for general awareness of whats happening, prompts and cues really are needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fact that he is asking surely is a sign that something is wrong somewhere, and im sure its not him.

True, but if he read the thread he would have found out he should be playing the relaxed servers for a while. Just to get a feel for the game.

Anyway, he didn't read, otherwise he wouldn't be asking about "extra points".

P.S. YES, THERE SHOULD BE A GUIDE BY TWI EXPLAINING HOW SCORING WORKS. WHAT IS GOOD FOR TEAMPLAY ETC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In an ideal world. Perhaps.

What game have you ever played where people suddenly have an epiphany and realise the best way to play was as a team without the need for a carrot and stick approach? None is the answer.

At the moment RO2 lacks the obviousness of a team based shooter.

I might be doing the general playing populace a disservice by saying they need guiding, but for new players and for general awareness of whats happening, prompts and cues really are needed.

Well, if you find the right server (usually one run by a clan or gaming community with lots of active members) teamwork is a cinch, even if you aren't part of the clan proper. Once these get properly organized, I get the feeling that folks will be playing RO2 to it's full potential.

Upvote 0
True, but if he read the thread he would have found out he should be playing the relaxed servers for a while. Just to get a feel for the game.

Anyway, he didn't read, otherwise he wouldn't be asking about "extra points".

P.S. YES, THERE SHOULD BE A GUIDE BY TWI EXPLAINING HOW SCORING WORKS. WHAT IS GOOD FOR TEAMPLAY ETC.

There are several "guides" missing. I have no idea about the commander. I had to find everything about the different game modes by just trying them. The scoring is still arcane for me and I could go here.

Upvote 0
Also In RO1 that's why clans were formed to give you good team play and people you could count on to do what needed to be done. In ostfront if you had 6 - 8 people acting as a squad and everyone else running around like chickens with their heads cut off you could still win the maps.
So my best advice is to join a clan or start your own.

Upvote 0
I'm sure the people who are new to RO and did not play RO1 just need some experience, right now there is little teamwork except for a few guys at the top. People just have to realise the only way to win the game is to work together as a team and listen to the more experienced players. Right now I see people just picking random classes if they like the loadout, such as squad leaders not performing their role of leading the squad to the objective but rather perform like riflemen. It can be good to let teammates spawn on you but you still need to deploy smoke to help cover the advance

Upvote 0
Well, if you find the right server (usually one run by a clan or gaming community with lots of active members) teamwork is a cinch, even if you aren't part of the clan proper. Once these get properly organized, I get the feeling that folks will be playing RO2 to it's full potential.

I hope so.

For me, im not in a clan per se, just in a community and its not everyday I get chance to play with my online friends, so sometimes find myself on a server alone with random people.

Upvote 0
The lack of teamwork is the only major issue with this game (for the time being). And I don't think the whole "just play it with friends" argument is very helpful either, since it just ends up excluding a lot of people.

Like it or not, but if you want teamwork on public servers there are certain features and checks that needs to be put in place, such as a intuitive HUD system that shows squads mates and objective positions and regulations of how individual players can behave, etc. It doesn't mean that the game will become less realistic, in fact it will problary have the exact opposite effect. If it's a necessity to work as a team, and reasonably easy to do so, people will actully behave more like military units and thus the game will feel more authentic and realistic. And if that means that players will have nametags floating above them and such, is it really such a big deal? Isn't it worth the price if it makes the game more realstic in the end? Players can't be programmed, but they can be led to a certain path with the right design.

Teamwork is essential for realism, but if that doesn't work it just loses its point. You might as well be playing CS or CoD then.

Upvote 0

Erm...if you had read my post..just above yours you will see it's in place.

Upvote 0
Give more negative morale to Rambo/solo-players who die all the time draggin the whole team down!

Bad idea...you shouldn't be penalised for dying....it's a tough game on realistic...and dying is part of it..I've had rous where I've died say three times and got a great score through teamplay and kills...I've had other rounds where I'm being picked off pretty much instantly....so no bad idea.

Upvote 0
I hope so.

For me, im not in a clan per se, just in a community and its not everyday I get chance to play with my online friends, so sometimes find myself on a server alone with random people.

When your on a server follow you Squad leadre or anothe rplayer...then you will find others will join up with you...before you know it your moving as a team.

Upvote 0
I agree with OP, squads are kinda pointless at the moment.

It needs some serious changes. The system is a little too confusing.

If it's not with friends, a mic, and some luck, the squad never plays as a squad. Everybody runs on opposite sides, and that's all.

I'm a bit sad to say that, because i'm gonna be flamed, but I prefer the BFBC2 squad system, at least to teamplay with friends. (and I don't like BFBC2, actually.)

I know that's world war 2, and I know that's not pro-ultra-realism-like, but maybe we can manage something to find our squadmates more easily.

And come on, 50% of the people (maybe more) on the servers don't even chose their squad. They don't even know that such thing exist, and don't care about. They just want to get an auto-rifle or a SMG, period.

And people who wants to REALLY play in squad ends with a crooked system.

At this point, teamplay is rare. Too rare. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope so.

Well, I run into it all the time on TF2. I have a dozen or so clan/community run servers I regular on even though I've never been on the forums. I just listen to their chatting (provided they aren't using Vent or Teamspeak) and try to stick with their plans. It usually works out pretty well, even though I don't know any of them.

Upvote 0
I agree with OP, squads are kinda pointless at the moment.

It needs some serious changes. The system is a little too confusing.

If it's not with friends, a mic, and some luck, the squad never plays as a squad. Everybody runs on opposite sides, and that's all.

I'm a bit sad to say that, because i'm gonna be flamed, but I prefer the BFBC2 squad system, at least to teamplay with friends. (and I don't like BFBC2, actually.)

I know that's world war 2, and I know that's not pro-ultra-realism-like, but maybe we can manage something to find our squadmates more easily.

And come on, 50% of the people (maybe more) on the servers don't even chose their squad. They don't even know that such thing exist, and don't care about. They just want to get a auto-rifle or an SMG and that's all.

And people who wants to play in squad ends with a crooked system.

At this point, teamplay is rare. Too rare. :(

Agreed.

Taking ideas from other games, like BC2 is fine imo. The 'Put me in a squad' option at load works fine!

It's more than simply being in a squad though, its the awareness of what needs to be done, when where and how.

Upvote 0