• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About Hacking In The Beta

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
So I'll start this post with my usual - calm down, step back, take a deep breath. See, don't you feel better already? :)

So I've seen a lot of buzz and panic about cheats starting to appear in the beta. First I would say this - don't panic. This is to be expected, and has been planned for. We've prepared for this and knew it would happen all along.

Anti-Cheat - This is exactly why we've got the dual anti-cheats of VAC and PB. VAC as you all know uses a delayed banning system, while PB detects and kicks on the spot. Between these two RO2 will be one of the best well protected games at launch. Right now Punkbuster hasn't been enabled yet, and will be coming online during the course of the beta.

So what about the cheats that "fall through the cracks" so to speak. This is where two very powerful additional tools come into play:
PBBans and Server Admins!

PBBans - PBBans has a system which allows streaming of a master ban list. As cheats are caught through PunkBuster violations, screenshots or demos, they are added to the Master Ban Index (MBi). So admins catching someone cheating on their servers can submit screenshots or video to PBBans and get the cheater banned. In this way, even cheaters using cheats that "fall through the cracks" will find themselves banned.

Server Admins - an active server admin is a powerful tool against cheating. "But other games have active server admins, and they got overrun with cheaters" you might say. The difference is, Tripwire are giving the server admins the tools they need to combat the cheaters such as Punkbuster and PBBans. So unlike many other recently released games, RO2's server admins hands will not be tied when it comes to cheaters, and they have some weapons at their disposal to combat them.

An active dev team - another very important tool in combating cheats is an active dev team. Many recent games have come out and been overrun by cheats while the dev team did little or nothing. As we have done in the past, Tripwire will be leaning forward on this and extremely active in combating cheats. An example of this is some cheating that we started noticing yesterday which is known as "speed-hacking". Later today, just 24 hours later, we should be releasing an update that combats this type of hacking.

You - the final important component of this is YOU, the player and fan. If you have any information on any new or existing hacks for the game, private message the information Yoshiro or one of the moderators on this forum. DO NOT post the information in the open. You all can help be our eyes and ears to combat this issue.

So in conclusion I ask you all to be calm and work with us to help combat hacking. Hacking and hackers are an ever moving target, and very difficult to eliminate completely. But together with you the fans and all of the weapons at our disposal we will marginalize and reduce hacking in RO2 to the point where it is barely a factor. Likewise we will do everything in our power to frustrate the efforts of hack makers and hackers to the point where they find it is not worth the effort.

When you find a hacker, dont call him out and rage in any way. Dont say a single word, other than banning the best thing to do is to leave the game. If you rage at the hacker it only fuels the persons ego and motivation to keep on causing problems for others. They are attention seekers that all they want is for people to notice them, if you dont notice them then they will soon get bored and give up, but raging at them will only make them repeat over and over again.

Upvote 0
I hope punkbuster works better in this game than it did in Bad Company 2. It was broken for months causing the game being unplayable for huge amount of people and required extra tweaks to work half decent. Hopefully Tripwire will react if something like this would happen in RO2.

Upvote 0
I've been quite lucky as i've not come across any hackers yet.. but i always have FRAPS running so if i do i will be sure to get as much footage as possible.

Question is, once i have this footage can i send it to the admins on here or do i submit it to steam or what?

You submit it to PBBans. I'll try and get someone from PBBans on here to explain how that works.

Upvote 0
You submit it to PBBans. I'll try and get someone from PBBans on here to explain how that works.

First an account must be created to submit a cheat to PB

http://www.pbbans.com/cheat-file-submission.html

it is pretty easy

If you have information about cheats that you think PBBans can add CVAR or MD5Tool check for then please submit your finding using this form. Also send this information to [email protected] as EvenBalance will review it and if valid add detection methods to PunkBuster.

Only submit cheat related software using this form. This is NOT a player report system and any non cheat software submissions WILL be deleted.

PBBans can not update PunkBuster itself to detect new cheats submited. We can only add CVAR and MD5Tool checks where applicable. Thank you for taking the time to submit your findings.

If you have any files please zip or rar them and send to [email protected] or include a url in the description

Upvote 0