• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

LMG Accuracy Too Low

Wesreidau

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2011
I'm finding the MG class suffers from poor accuracy when in deployed bipod mode. Longer bursts go wildly off target and I have no real confidence in long range shooting. Even though I expect cones of fire beyond 200m it seems these weapons are shooting over the enemy's heads. This is a stark contrast to the tripod MGs, which are buzz saws more in line with what I expect. Please improve the gunner's ability to keep the weapon on target during longer bursts while deployed.

They're accurate enough in short controlled bursts of 2-4 rounds, if you want to suppress just pull down on the gun as you fire, can still get a pretty solid steam of bullets landing on or around your target that way. Got 40 kills in one game doing this earlier, don't really think MGs need adjusting at all.

Upvote 0
I too have noticed the large amount of recoil on a deployed, full-auto MG.

I'm not sure if it was a balancing decision, or perhaps an perceptional miss-step. (Not that I have EVER fired a Machinegun! Just going off videos and what-not.)

Although I must say, from a gameplay standpoing, a "less" accurate full auto MG seems to get me more kills than it loses due to the bullet-spray catching guys I might have missed.

Upvote 0
i do think the mgs are pretty inacurate too, but not only on the long bursts
wanted to shoot a guy about 50m away but couldnt hit him with short bursts. though my char said he is suppressed. ok i tought then lets try bullet penetration but nothing happened.
and like in the previous game the suppressed guy poped up for not even a second and shot me in the face :(
that happened 3 times...then i gave up the mg -.-'

Upvote 0
Well, three things:

1) MG recoil in Ostfront was a bit soft. Watch anyone fire an MG34 or DP28 in a video and notice how they have to really work on keeping their aim. Of course this doesn't mean they aren't shooting accurately, it just means it takes a bit of effort to do so in long bursts.

2) Your PC's FPS has an impact on how controlable your recoil is. If you miss a frame or two you're going to think the MG is way too hard to control. I know my PC isn't up to snuff and I often end up in this situation, but it doesn't stop me from racking up kills with either MG.

3) Devs from Tripwire have already said multiple times that they needed to increase mounted MG recoil to more closely represent their real-life counterparts. (see thing 1)

It's likely they won't change it at all, and I'd agree with that decision. If you want laser-accuracy use one of the fixed mount MGs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've shot PKM in military and I find that Degtyaryov (which is same caliber and similar weight as PKM) handles quite the same when I tested it yesterday at Fallen Fighters.

Short bursts is really the way to go, both in real life and in the game. Alot more accuracy and control and you are less visible yourself.
Long bursts are all we see in movies, but it's mostly for areal targets IMO.

Upvote 0
I spent like all day MGing yesterday and it seems that periodically I would agree with this thread and periodically disagree :D

At times, I could land pretty long streams of shots even up to 200m, sometimes I couldnt pick people off even close up with single shots/short bursts.

The ammo capacity/consumption was the bigger reason to not fire long bursts yesterday. The times I was supplied with ammo could be counted with one hand fingers. I suppose this gets better as people get more used to the game.

Upvote 0
I now see both sides of this. On one hand, MG's are hard to control and take real strength to manage. On the other hand, the current recoil in deployed mode is too high. I can't hold the gun down on a window sized target at 50 meters? Nonsense.

I propose the current level of recoil stay in play IF the player is swinging the gun around. But if the player is holding the crosshairs on one point, the accuracy should be much higher. This will encourage realistic MG targeting methods (burst on point, burst on point) and discourage unrealistic, or at least ineffective, methods (swinging side to side while firing).

Upvote 0
I'm finding the MG class suffers from poor accuracy when in deployed bipod mode. Longer bursts go wildly off target and I have no real confidence in long range shooting. Even though I expect cones of fire beyond 200m it seems these weapons are shooting over the enemy's heads. This is a stark contrast to the tripod MGs, which are buzz saws more in line with what I expect. Please improve the gunner's ability to keep the weapon on target during longer bursts while deployed.

You'e not supposed to be firing the MG34 with very long bursts. A lightweight, full caliber machine-gun only supported by bipod isn't going to reduce recoil very much, that's what the tripod is for, giving you an incredibly stable platform. Try firing in 3-4 round bursts, you'll have good control over your MG and get in accurate shots.

Upvote 0
n killed by enough LMGs from across the map in Fallen Fighters to believe the recoil is fine.

As an avid machine gunner, the germans running out of the spawn probably feed me most of my kills :D They think they are too far to take cover, although I guess I can't blame them cos there little cover right outside the door.

Just adjust sights to 200m, shift zoom and pwn em.

Upvote 0
Some additional shooting today on Danzig. The barrel climbs about one meter at fifty meters if I fire it more than a half second. Having a lot of practice with MGs in various games (PR, Arma, RO, DH, ect ect) that strive for realism and using them as realistically as I can (FM3-22.68 Chapter 2 says the M60 7.62-mm machine gun can be fired in 6-13 round bursts, not 3-4 round bursts), I'm just not satisfied with my ability to engage point or area targets. I can understand this level of recoil if I were slewing or tracking and so having to move my body, but when leaning in and on to a single point, the recoil simply must be reduced as the soldier is putting all his weight into control.

Upvote 0