• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade throwing animation is so wrong..

covertwoody

Aug 27, 2011
I'm talking about (Edit: the position of) the left arm, pointing at where he's gonna throw. (Edit: first person: the position of the shoulder ingame means the chest is pointing at the target, whereas IRL, your shoulder should be pointing at it, and your chest would be turned to your side)
Try it out yourself. Stand up straight, or pretend you are running towards a certain point. Your chest will point to where you are going. Now try to throw a grenade like in the animation ingame, try to get your arms in the same place in your field of vision. This will feel very awkward and i challange you to hold that position for a minute. (just kidding)

Now try to throw a grenade like in the animation naturally. Your shoulders will align on the target and your 2 arms will be in the same line. Also, your pointing arm will be in the center of your FOV, and not coming from way beside you at an angle.

What happened? your head turned while your upper body did too, keeping your eye on the same point without having to keep your upper body pointing to where you are going to throw.

Solution to the animation? Make the left arm come out of the bottom (near) centre of the screen, not from the side at a shoulderbreaking angle.

EDIT 2: Since you guys dont seem to get what I try to explain heres an illustration.

The top guy looks like he is 4 feet wide. The arm might as well belong to another person. Also, his shoulder is way on his left, so the chest is pointing forward to where he is throwing. Compare this to the examples people posted below of people throwing baseballs, spears, grenades and the like. I am just discussing first person view, the third person animation looks fine.

Now if you look at what i've thrown together with my leet paint skills, this is an arm position which I would find much more natural and less mindboggling.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the left arm, pointing at where he's gonna throw. (first person)

grenade_throw.jpg

grenade_throw.png

hand-grenade1.jpg

1798-004-2C28DB0E.jpg

23755482E.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the case of stick grenades, where you unscrew the bottom of the grenade, I would think that trying to hold a weapon at the same time might be cumbersome. In fact, for throwing any grenade, I believe you would get more arm motion (thus more distance/freedom of motion) if you quickly shouldered your weapon and unencumbered both your arms.

Of course, if you were just tossing a grenade quickly around a corner, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth stowing your weapon. But I doubt that it justifies having to model the weapon for the throwing animation in just that circumstance (unless that's already been done).

Upvote 0
In the case of stick grenades, where you unscrew the bottom of the grenade, I would think that trying to hold a weapon at the same time might be cumbersome. In fact, for throwing any grenade, I believe you would get more arm motion (thus more distance/freedom of motion) if you quickly shouldered your weapon and unencumbered both your arms.

Of course, if you were just tossing a grenade quickly around a corner, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth stowing your weapon. But I doubt that it justifies having to model the weapon for the throwing animation in just that circumstance (unless that's already been done).

True but surely you could hold your weapon with your hand and still use your index finger and thumb to unscrew. I just feel like in the heat of battle you wouldn't have time to put your rifle on your back then get out the grenade. Those few seconds could mean life or death.

Upvote 0
Do you have any idea how bad it would look to have an arm shooting out from the bottom middle of the screen when you're throwing a grenade, especially for a game that doesn't have the independent head moving relative to body movement direction to the degree that something like ARMA does?

It would look horrible.

As you can't see your lower body (chest or legs) in this game, I can't see the problem. I am talking about First person view, the third person animation is fine

Upvote 0
It looks nice because you don't know where his shoulder is. His hand is in the left side of the screen but that is okay because he could have his arm bent.
In RO2 you can see his entire upper arm, because the arm is positioned stretched out like it is on the left of the screen, it gives a really weird location of shoulder and throwing technique.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the animation of your character I mean camera since you cant see your whole body wtf!? should change based on how hard you are going to throw the grenade, In RO if you held the mouse button down longer the further you throw the grenade correct, or am I thinking of another game? I forget.

Anyways lets consider other throws too, a short lob of the grenade liek for over walls and such, and underhand throw which currently you can do with alt fire in RO which should be in RO2 if they know whats good for them, as well as maybe a roll.

Off topic but give my character a body please, tired of looking down and theres nothing there.

Upvote 0
I think it looks perfect the way it is. I got up and pretended to air grenade (yes, really) and my first natural motion is exactly how they have it animated in game. In your picture, it honestly looks like he's heiling Hitler and doesn't look natural.

Edit: I think what looks off to people is the lack of the elbow. In real life you can see your elbow as your arm is extended pretty far. And it's not like your elbow is in your far peripheral either; it's right there in your face.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats clearly a german saying HEIL HITLER! Its a new game command, lol...... You know it was gonna be eventually said XD .

But so far based on the gameplay videos, the animation looks good to me and I think TWI did it well.

I don't know.. Everytime I look at it seems his arm is coming from a very weird place. As if his left shoulder is so far away, when he would stretch his full arm out he would not even be able to touch his right shoulder (right side of screen)
Maybe its because of the widescreen

Upvote 0
Do you have any idea how bad it would look to have an arm shooting out from the bottom middle of the screen when you're throwing a grenade, especially for a game that doesn't have the independent head moving relative to body movement direction to the degree that something like ARMA does?

It would look horrible.
Now that i think of it, it would look wierd if the hand came from the mid :d

Upvote 0
Now that i think of it, it would look wierd if the hand came from the mid :d

Then make it come in from the left side of the screen like he is swinging his arm to the middle, then hold it like in my second picture. That would still make more sense than having it in a physically impossible position.
Think about it, where is this guy's shoulder?? His arm/shoulder is soo far from his body, how wide is this guy?

If you want to look at it from a different way; consider this.
The angle the arm makes with the bottom of his FOV is less than 45 degrees. Why would he not point straight at his target? The arm is so far away, its hard to believe it's attached to his body. It seems like its hovering next to him.

In anything you would try out yourself, the angle your arm would make between the bottom of your field of vision will always be more than 45 degrees, and will approach 90 degrees when throwing hard like in the photos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0