• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Aim

Looks (and mean looks cause going off video's) They implied a white cross hair that moves the tank turret. If you look closely you see a white cross hair that moves at the speed of the mouse, and the turret follows that.

Not sure if I'm wrong, just going off the video.

Mouse aim isn't to terrible for tank aim though. Have you ever played WWII online? They implied it not to long ago and felt it played very smoothly and no to easy to use ( not like you have control over the turret like a rifle, but not to nerfed either. )

Reactions: Tovarish_Vassili
Upvote 0
Using the mouse for aiming the main gun is easy to get used to, but unfortunately the feel won't be realistic. For a more realistic, and therefore emmersive experience, the keyboard keys do a much better job thanks to the fact that coordination between traverse & elevation is then needed; just like with the real equipment.

That the mouse is used for aiming the main gun on tanks is really the only problem I have with the game at this point, and it will probably lead to me not playing as a tanker. I started a poll a while back to figure out what the preference of the community was on this issue as-well, where it turned out that 80% prefered the keyboard for control. But it's ok, from what I've seen so far I'll be too busy playing as infantry anyway, which btw looks absolutely fantastic.

Also there's no reason this small control issue can't be revised, and the developers will no doubt have a lot more time to look into this after the release. So let's see, it might get revised depending on what the vast majority feels like on this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xienen
Upvote 0
The problem with the WASD is, those keys are used for tank movement (telling your AI driver which way to go).

Red Orchestra: Combined Arms had mouse control. When I switched to Ostfront, it took a little while to get use to it. Same thing will happen switching back.

Well the gunner shouldn't really be able to move the tank, should he? ;)

As the gunner the WASD keys should be for controlling the turret & gun IMO.

Upvote 0
Mouse have advantage that you can move turret with more precise; with keyboard you need to tap keys if you want slow traverse.

Not quite, seeing as RO1 used an acceleration system where the traverse starts out slow and then accelerates. So the mouse won't really be more precise, just A LOT faster to aim with, to a very unrealistic degree.

You need only look at the ingame vids taken also to see the completely erratic behavior of the gun & turret as it tries to follow the cursor around. Those of you who've played the ARMA series will remember the turrets spinning around like crazy on tanks, making the whole experience a lot less immersive and very gamey.

The whole point though is that controlling the turret & gun will be less realistic, and this quite simply because no coordination between traverse & elevation is needed.

But like I said, I can live with it, cause there's no doubt this game is going to be absolutely awesome regardless. It just means I won't be tanking, that's all :)

Upvote 0