• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bolt action balance

Indeed, You see people carrying the guns on one hand while sprinting, but instantly have the gun ready in fire position again. Even a 2 handed sprint wouldn't get you ready that fast. It looks silly and might be a major issue for me.

It'' just seems to easy to Rambo with the SMG, just sprint around corners, if you happen to walk into someone,, you stop sprinting, almost instantly your gun is ready to fire, and you can spray away.
I have the same thoughts as you with this.

Maybe a beta tester can tell us if it is still the same, because the video is from a quite older build.

Riflemen can/will use the pistol at close range anyways.
Hopefully not on Realism... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this turns out any way like DOD:S, riflemen will be severely limited in effectiveness. With long range dominated by snipers and now with the new zoom mechanic and reduced recoil of SMGs, the medium range where rifles > smg becomes very narrow.

Also, the maps themselves play a factor. In non-vehicle infantry only maps the basic layout is always a wide open square type venue surrounded by buildings. Most of the time, SMG's will look out from windows into the square for easy kills. So basically, it will be riflemen in the square (since wide open spaces are the rifleman's element) who can't move up because all the SMG's lurking in every window.

I just don't see how bolt-action rifles are relevant anymore in RO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiFi
Upvote 0
said it before and ill say it again
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=55322&page=2[/URL]
everyone wants to be a sniper but when it turns out they suck
its "omg the smgs are over powered"
seen this happen since medal of honor:allied assault
funny thing is .. most my mates use the rifle and they have no problem knocking a smg user on his butt

its the wanna be snipers
that cant shoot thats the problem

this happens with every game ive played on the PC

Upvote 0
This problem was glaringly obvious in COD: World at War. The accuracy of SMGs was so good, it was stupid to put the bayonet on the Kar98k or even the M1 instead of a sniper scope since you needed the range (and even then Thompson sniping was ridiculous, but I wouldn't equip anything else. I made it work there, and the imba was obvious.

I haven't seen any signs that a smart riflemen won't strike fear into the enemy's heart.

Sure, everyone in the footage picked the smgs, but 9/10 he was soon dead and his camera went to following a guy with a bolt (who was owning the map).

Upvote 0
You'll notice that while the player in the preview vids is using a SMG, he often gets killed by a rifle.

^ I know I saw a video of some British journalist aiming a smg on a fence post. Then getting popped from so far off with a rifle I couldn't see the flash or any movement.

But just speaking on the rifles they seem to have a more "real" quality if I can say that. After watching a gameplay video witha Gewher being fired from cover, I noticed that the rifle now "pops" up, and then settles down and "sticks" in the area it was last fired. It actually looks like a rifle fired by a real human who is holding onto it tightly.

Whereas in the first red orchestra the rifle would pop like my .22, but then skip off to the right/left like my smoothbore muzzleloader does. Either because its smoothbore or because I can't muscle the stance. But yeah, the last RO gave me the feeling that whoever designed the shooting had never fired a real rifle because it skipped around the screen for no damn reason(And not in a normal fashion, firearms don't jump to the side moreso then up unless your holding it wrong. Or maybe a certain model which releases the excess gas on one side greater then the other.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only reason we see SMG's dominating in the videos, is because nearly all the kills we've seen have been at close/medium range, which is what the sub-machinegun was designed for. In RO1 SMG's had far too much recoil for a pistol round, which is why they've been scaled back realistically in ROHOS.

For accurate medium/long range shots with sure "stopping power", not much is going to beat a bolt gun. Plus you've got a handy pig-sticker for close-ins situations.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, doesn't it give an disadvantage to those who manually do it

Assuming it's on manual by default, sure, some people might not know what to do, but they'll figure it out quickly. If it's auto-bolt by default, then there really isn't any disadvantage, you know what you're getting into if you switch it to manual bolting and you aren't allowed to cry about it.

Upvote 0