• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Which is a better setup for the commando?

The bullpup is much more manly than the AK. How can you argue with that?

In all seriousness though the bullpup can definitely work with the SCAR as long as you don't spam your SCAR and run out of ammo (because unlike the AK the bullpup can't kill trash once your SCAR is depleted very well). The bullpup is much better for quickly switching to, finishing off some pesky crawlers that appeared when you just depleted your current SCAR mag, reloading, then switching back. The bullpup just reloads insanely fast and lets you kill crawler-armies very well.

If your team isn't so hot though and you need as much trash killing power as you can get, then the SCAR/AK set up is superior. When your team is mindful of reloads and the sharpies pitch in for the trash killing, then in my opinion the bullpup is better for clutch "oshi- crawler army" situations.

Upvote 0
The bullpup is much more manly than the AK. How can you argue with that?

In all seriousness though the bullpup can definitely work with the SCAR as long as you don't spam your SCAR and run out of ammo (because unlike the AK the bullpup can't kill trash once your SCAR is depleted very well). The bullpup is much better for quickly switching to, finishing off some pesky crawlers that appeared when you just depleted your current SCAR mag, reloading, then switching back. The bullpup just reloads insanely fast and lets you kill crawler-armies very well.

If your team isn't so hot though and you need as much trash killing power as you can get, then the SCAR/AK set up is superior. When your team is mindful of reloads and the sharpies pitch in for the trash killing, then in my opinion the bullpup is better for clutch "oshi- crawler army" situations.

The bullpup works pretty much like a LMG(countiously fire). But it just sucks on HOE. Not enough power to take out the zeds.

Upvote 0
I have found SCAR and M32 to be far superior to any combination of assault rifles - but only if you're accurate enough that a good majority of your shots go to the head. Sprayers need not apply.

On Hell, bullpup is practically dead weight for the simple reason that trash specs can take more than one headshot from it. It's slower than the AK; you have to stand still and aim more carefully than you would with the AK because you have to keep the dot on their head through an entire burst instead of just popping them once.

Upvote 0
The bullpup works pretty much like a LMG(countiously fire). But it just sucks on HOE. Not enough power to take out the zeds.
In all seriousness though the bullpup can definitely work with the SCAR as long as you don't spam your SCAR and run out of ammo (because unlike the AK the bullpup can't kill trash once your SCAR is depleted very well).

Yes. I stated this. Why I said the bullpup was good because

The bullpup is much better for quickly switching to, finishing off some pesky crawlers that appeared when you just depleted your current SCAR mag, reloading, then switching back. The bullpup just reloads insanely fast and lets you kill crawler-armies very well.

I didn't neglect to mention the downsides of the bullpup. The very first thing I said (and quoted above here) was that it lacks the AK's trash killing power. I also mentioned it again, read on:

If your team isn't so hot though and you need as much trash killing power as you can get, then the SCAR/AK set up is superior.

However, if you're playing with good players, then

When your team is mindful of reloads and the sharpies pitch in for the trash killing, then in my opinion the bullpup is better for clutch "oshi- crawler army" situations.

This is because the bullpup reloads faster than the AK and has a larger mag, which lets you kill crawler armies more efficiently. The crawlers matter because they're a pain for support/sharpshooters to kill compared to how easy and efficient it is for the commando.

Upvote 0
If you're still on lower difficulties, AK + LAR is a good budget setup. Should kill husks in 2 headshots on 6 man hard, not to mention it allows kiting of just about anything. Replace AK with SCAR if you need to take out Scrakes or if the heavy stuff is giving you more trouble. Haven't tried taking a LAR on HoE or suicidal, though.

Upvote 0
See, one of the reasons I like the bullpup is because if you fire just at the chest of a clot/gorefast/stalker, and let the recoil carry your shot up you'll kill them next headshot.

Its hard to explain really.

But I also find SCAR and AK47 to be good; SCAR as an impromptu M14 and the AK full auto for close-up swarms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See, one of the reasons I like the bullpup is because if you fire just at the chest of a clot/gorefast/stalker, and let the recoil carry your shot up you'll kill them next headshot.

Its hard to explain really.

But I also find SCAR and AK47 to be good; SCAR as an impromptu M14 and the AK full auto for close-up swarms.
If you can't hit a semi-immobile target with the best crosshairs in the game, why bother?

Upvote 0
Scar + M32 is my favorite, with M32 being used for the big clumps of zeds and Scar in semi-auto for the rest. I try not to go to full auto more than once or twice a wave to conserve ammo, so you're pretty much required a good support to clear the trash up close.

Usually I wind up going Scar + AK though; buy Scar wave 2, add AK wave 4, kevlar wave 5 or 6 and dump the rest of my dosh off to the demolitions, sharpshooters, or whoever died. I know I can get the demo to buy me an M32 for cheap but I'd rather give that money to the people who need it more to me. Commando and firebug are probably the best money farmers in the game.

Upvote 0