• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing Mods

Cossack. Dmitri

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2011
Hello everyone,
It just crossed my mind that in some cases mods for a game do better than the actual game, and sometimes mods are nearly never played. The examples of this are Red Orchestra's mods; Darkest Hour (which has many frequent players) and Mare Nostrum (nearly no one). So I was wondering, who will be sticking to Heroes of Stalingrad and who will be more into the mods for it?

Hello everyone,
It just crossed my mind that in some cases mods for a game do better than the actual game, and sometimes mods are nearly never played. The examples of this are Red Orchestra's mods; Darkest Hour (which has many frequent players) and Mare Nostrum (nearly no one). So I was wondering, who will be sticking to Heroes of Stalingrad and who will be more into the mods for it?

Uh, I've waited years for the sequel to Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45... I'll be sticking to Heroes of Stalingrad for a long time.

Sure I'll get into the mods but enjoying and discovering every single morsel of ROHOS is my ultimate motive for the time being.

Upvote 0
after i get RO2, i will try to get as much content as i can for it, i mean new maps, skins,mods, sounds (depending on the sound of course), mutators, co-op campaings, single player mods, every thing i can to have 300% fun in the game.

and i really hope that the mod community make a lot of content for it, even small ones.

Upvote 0
I dont play DH because it just keeps crashing. Crashed on my old PC, crashes on my new PC. Nothing else crashes ever.

There's a little program called Large Address Aware , google it. Once installed, run it, browse to your RO.exe and enable it as Large Address Aware with the proggy.

You only have to do it once and it could very well solve your problem :)

Upvote 0
I was just asking who is more likely going to stay with the original and who is more likely going with mods, it's doesn't need to be a definite answer. :)

That for me, depends on how decently the mods are made compared to RO2.

For now, I'll be sticking to RO2 for a while and the only thing that will change that is if there is a decently made mod of equal or close to equal quality as RO2.

I'm looking forward to the WWI mod that's been talked about, and I'd like to see a Prohibition Era Mobster mod which I brought up in another thread..... not so interested in a Vietnam War mod though.

Darkets Hour didn't do much for me when it first came out and it's been difficult for me to get back into it recently even though it's been patched and worked on a lot since my original try with the game..... and due to Mare N not having a large player base, I haven't gotten much beyond single player games..... which is why I play Ostfront a heck of a lot more than those mods.

So in order for me to start playing a mod over the actual game I bought, it has to be pretty damn good.

Indeed, I originally bought UT2k4 because I actually enjoyed the gameplay, and then when RO:CA came around, I started playing that a lot more..... it was pretty damn good and completely different from UT2k4..... Darkest Hour and Mare were just kind of the same thing as RO:Ost, but in different areas of the world and different countries fighting..... it's appealing, but not completely original from what they were spinned off of, thus the appeal is not the same.

When it came to games like BF2.... I quickly grew to hate it because I was playing RO:CA before I got BF2 and it was just a 180 degree turn back to arcade-like game play..... I hunted and hunted for mods that could be better. The expansions were alright but not much different than the original BF, then after a year or so, peope started saying this Project Reality was really realistic and way better than BF2.

I installed it and to be perfectly honest, it wasn't really that much different and still wasn't anywhere close to what I grew acustomed to in RO:CA.

I think the only game that really took me completely off of the original and straight into the mods was Half-Life.

Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Action Half-Life, Natural Selection..... there were just so many.

Though my first experience of a mod was with Quake I - "Killer Quake" which was basically the same thing as Quake I but with a pile of about 300% more weapons to use, including an awsome Xina throwing disc and a bunch of miniguns, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cossack. Dmitri
Upvote 0