• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What wood are the rifles made of?

Depends on a couple of factors

I.E. what materials are available and were the gun was manufactured...The Mosin nagant was made of at least 3 different types of wood that i know off due to the wide range of its construction

but usually you would want a heavier softer wood that would bend and dent instead of scratch or snap.

Upvote 0
In WWII the wood they used would have most likely been from Birch and Maple and Walnut trees as they are so widespread throughout Europe. These woods are used because they are very strong and durable and can withstand tension and impact from firing without splitting provided they are properly treated before being used.

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Plywood, Seriously...I for sure thought BALSA Wood was the norm :rolleyes:

It's not entirely incorrect, as technicaly, Plywood is any wood created by gluing togeather sheets of wood.

Thing is though, when you hear the word "Plywood", you are likely to think of the thin flexible sheets they use to cover furniture like kitchen cabinets, which is the most common use of Plywood.

When talking gun stocks, it's more commonly referred to as "Laminated wood", but it is technically a kind of Plywood.

Laminated stocks have been around for a long time now, especially the USSR have been big fans of using it, if you look at any Russian AK build between circa 1956 to 1986, they all had laminated wood, and the same is true of the SVD's, PKM's and so forth. It was even used durring WWII, there are Mosin Nagants from the war that had laminated stocks, and i've seen laminated SKS skocks too, but they are fairly rare, most had solid stocks carved from a single chunk of wood.

This was done to cut costs really, finding enough pliable wood to mass produce thease guns by the millions was a bit of a logistical nightmare, but when using laminates, even a bad chunk of wood is bound to yield some useable slices, and the glue used to hold it togeather is actually stronger than the wood itself, so yeah, it's a cheap way to mass produce wooden grips and stocks.

But solid stocks are much more common, especially on western firearms.

I would say ask the texture artists, but they probably just took colours from sample photographs and said photos would be of typical rifles using typical wood.... hence the answers you were given in this thread.

And if the artists used real rifles on a range as references, then all the more so.

Eh, most wood used on firearms is a pain in the butt, it tends to have very long and thin grains in dense patterns, and it is an absolute mofo to condense onto the small area avalible on your UV map without it looking like a blurry mess of a thing.

Personally, i found it better to make a wood texture that has fewer but more pronounced grains than the real stock does, because then it actually looks like wood in the game, whereas if you try to put too much detail in there, it kinda ends up looking more like granit..

Real guns are made of gunmetal not wood, expept the stock and handle parts sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal[/URL]

Heh, heat-treated steel replaced that a long time ago, along with high-grade aluminium and heat resistant polymers ;)

Upvote 0