• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Crescendo: The 2nd Concerto

But that can be fixed if we plan more battles per sector. If we have simultaneous battles with different "platoons" fighting for more "sectors" in each city/zone/whatever, more people would have the chance to play.

Yes that is the idea I was planning on using to handle the idea of multiple battle servers being active at once. The only issue I see is the case where one division (or platoon as you put it) is short on players and the other has reinforcements available. This was a logistical problem back in the early days of BFE as well but here is what was found to work best:

(In Teamspeak)
Each division has their own battle rooms representing their respective servers. Each side would then have a common reinforcement pool room. As each side needs reinforcements they would draw from their own division except when there are no players for their division waiting to play, or if a player from the other division has been waiting an extended period of time to play (determined by the officers.) In those two cases, a player from the other division would join the server to fight instead of a player from the requesting division. This would be in addition to any type of rotation policy a side might institute to keep their troops fresh and prevent people from waiting too long to play.

Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone has other ideas or suggestions I'd be more than happy to discuss them. This is just what I've come up with as the best solution from my experience in multiple divisions per side. This is a crucial issue for IC as I want to ensure that the amount of time people get to play is fair while limiting the amount of time spent waiting in the reinforcement queues.

Upvote 0

In response to this, one thing we'd started to do at the end of CoD BFE and into BP, TGN, etc.. was the half battle days. Half US/Half EU. This gave more priority to the US players on US half and more prio to EU on EU server. Generally worked well, then of course all US players just disappeared and it became an EU tournament.

Upvote 0
1) How do you plan to select your officers/admin staff?

2) How will you prevent clans stacking either side, and or players creating multiple accounts to get on one side or spy on the others forums?

3) If a huge amount of people sign up how will you manage long waiting times to get into battle and the frustration of people who are dedicated to IC having to give up their gameplay time to people who only show up for a few battles?

4) If a small amount of people are available during battle day, how will you manage one team playing with 32 players and the other only having 10 players show up?

5) How will you disclipline: map exploiting/spawn killing/forum flaming?

Upvote 0
In response to this, one thing we'd started to do at the end of CoD BFE and into BP, TGN, etc.. was the half battle days. Half US/Half EU. This gave more priority to the US players on US half and more prio to EU on EU server. Generally worked well, then of course all US players just disappeared and it became an EU tournament.

IC will use the same kind of layout for battles with the early half being EU and the late half being US. However, in the past we haven't used priority based on location. In my experience this seems to work itself out as most players will be unwilling to play on worse pings. I am reluctant to enforce location preferences since there may be people that are limited to what server they can play on simply due to their availability and I don't want to be the one to tell them they can't play. Perhaps a compromise we could test out is giving priority to EU/US if the players have waited roughly the same amount of time.

Upvote 0
IC will use the same kind of layout for battles with the early half being EU and the late half being US. However, in the past we haven't used priority based on location. In my experience this seems to work itself out as most players will be unwilling to play on worse pings. I am reluctant to enforce location preferences since there may be people that are limited to what server they can play on simply due to their availability and I don't want to be the one to tell them they can't play. Perhaps a compromise we could test out is giving priority to EU/US if the players have waited roughly the same amount of time.

Yeah, there was no enforcement of locational priority, it was just a "well this is the NA server and NA sucks, cya" visa versa :p.

Upvote 0
So to continue to spur discussion I will periodically post tidbits of game concepts leading up to the website going live.

Chain of Command

This section remains largely unchanged from the original IC beyond some adjustment to the numbers per side as well as veterans. The limits are in place since the higher rank levels come with increased responsibilities and privileges.

Each army has a chain of command to give structure and organization to their side. It starts at general at the top and works it way all the way down to private at the bottom. The duties, rights, and terms of duty for each level in the chain of command is described here.

I) Level 0 (Private, Schutze, Ryadovoi)

This is the base level that all players start at. It can only go up from here. Veterans of one or more campaigns will never be this rank.

Limit per side: No Limit
Forum duties: None
Teamspeak duties: None
Army duties: Fight bravely and listen to orders

II) Level 1 (Pfc – Sergeant, Oberschutze – Unterfeldwebel, Efreitor – Serzhant)

These are the junior NCO ranks. After a short period of service or after showing promise in command roles or exemplary performance on the battlefield a player will obtain this rank. If a veteran switches sides after a campaign they start out at the base rank of this level for the respective side. Each division has unique rules regarding promotions to these ranks.

Limit per division: No Limit
Forum duties: Limited to Corps/Division/Company forums as dictated by the officers
Teamspeak duties: Channel admin as dictated by the officers
Army duties: Limited command and organization as dictated by the officers

III) Level 2 (Staff Sergeant – Sergeant Major, Feldwebel – Stabsfeldwebel, Starshiy Serzhant – Starshina)

These are the senior NCO ranks. Players reach this level if they have a good grasp of battlefield command and organization. They may also hold this rank if they are good at strategy. These are limited ranks and are often assigned based on the company they are in and the availability of the position. These ranks are meant for veterans to assist new officers and new soldiers. Division commanders that do not advance to the level of corps commander are automatically assigned to this level for the next campaign (they do not count against the limit)

Limit per division: 5
Forum duties: Policing the Corps/Division/Company forums by the rules of the Corps.
Teamspeak duties: Channel admin for all Division Channels
Army duties: Assisting the junior and regiment level officers with command and organization.

IV) Level 3 (2nd Lieutenant – 1st Lieutenant, Leutnant – Oberleutnant, Mladshiy Leytenant - Starshiyi Leytenant)

These are the junior officer ranks. Players are appointed to this rank for a specific job. Either company XO or an assistant strategist or some other suitable job. These are limited ranks and are usually only assigned or changed at the beginning of a campaign or when a vacancy arises.

Limit per division: 4
Forum duties: Policing the Corps/Division/Company forums by the rules of the Corps.
Teamspeak duties: Channel admin for all Division Channels
Army duties: Assisting the regiment level officers with the operation of their respective companies.

Stay tuned for the upper level ranks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a little confused. How will the time someone has been waiting be monitored? Also, how will promtions be decided? It sounds like A LOT of work for the organizors.

Time waiting will be monitored by the officers of the respective sides. Promotions are also handled by the officers. Since the officer corps is made up of players there is little to no work required by the staff so they can concentrate on admin duties.

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused. How will the time someone has been waiting be monitored? Also, how will promtions be decided? It sounds like A LOT of work for the organizors.

It's the job of the officers. But I imagine MoFo will be talking about higher up organization soon enough. Still - lower tier officers can handle the reinforcements pool. I served as both a high ranking officer (Generalleutnant) as well as held a number of staff positions (Leutnant, Oberleutnant, Hauptmann). My duties ended up including Axis forum administration/moderation, maintaining rosters, organizing practices, and working with other officers to determine who should receive promotions medals. We of course tried to award medals sparingly so as to give them value (if everyone gets an iron cross, having one isn't a big deal).

With enough officers, the different sides can take care of themselves, somewhat autonomously from the main tournament administration. Russian and German doctrine/organization differed interestingly, giving both sides a distinct "flavor" I suppose.

Upvote 0
Quick question: Are the ranks mentioned above tied to class selection? Ex. "You must be rank Y to use X class."
There are several Squads like the "Deffensive Battalion" whom used MG and KAR98 class, "Attack Squad" - smgs ofc, "Tank Battalion" with the tankers and the "schambee bambee" troops with explosives/ptrd ect.

All worded in German ofc. Basicly its or was on the german side wich i prefered to play in "everyone to his best ability" If you dident have enough dedicated Tankers someone else stepped in. Our friends from South America with their understandibly bad pings mostly got semis/smg to compensate a bit, tho it dident really seem to hindr their ability to rock :eek:.

I think we really had some nicely fleshed out matches...like that modified arad map ( yay t34 for the germans ) and the one weekend on Berezina with a tiger ( vs what 5 t34 ? )are especialy memorable.

Ah guess its time to dig out the old sigs again than:

blklblicsig01.jpg

gustavicsig01.jpg

loboaricsig01.jpg

oh and every campaign it was another Armee / Heeresgruppe...but imo, i mean its not like hardcore realism...:p It was allwys good communication, battle hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms, desperate defenses ( especily when we where low on points and couldent affort so much metal ) . all in all its really good fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0