• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing floor in the Future :D

Killing floor in the Future :D

• Make a sequel, killing floor 2?

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • Go Free to play, and make a expansion?

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Let the game go its turn and get old n' boring

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

Blockbot

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2011
Me and my friends had a really heated discusson on where killing floor should end up in the future.

We discussed the bugs.
The old skins.
How good the event was (skins, music, etc.)
The DLC's.
Amount of weapon.
Game modes.
New perks.
The Level of horror.
and bunch of things.

we ended up on arguing on that Killing floor should go:
1. "Free to play" and release a payable expansion to update the game
2. Make a sequel "Killing floor 2"
3. or the hope of more free content in the future (which we all wanted ofc cuz its free :p)

I think its best if Killing floor went "free to play" with old skins and such, and just make a expansion which contained new skins and stuff. Then there would be more players playing "killing floor" i bet. and tons of people bought the expansion too because they wanted to play missions modes, new perks, new skins, new weapons and such :)
EDIT: and make those who plays free to play killing floor is not allowed to download extra content :) like the custom servers :)
My idea is to make a once pay expansion. no hidden fees or nothing at all, you pay once for a expansion!

Rather than splitting the fan base up in two segments killing floor 1 and killing floor 2. because I don't think the game isn't popoular enough.

so what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAzathoth
I say simply NO.

TW don't ask alot for KF especially during holidays where it's 80% off so you can't argue that the game is expensive for its age.

KF also has a ton of replayabillity due to the gametype and the massive amount of custom made maps out there, meaning a ton of people will play the game without ever paying TW a single penny. Most games I play the entire team is just made up of the default character, which shows how many people actually buy the extra skins.

I can understand that the community may get a bit split up if a KF2 was released but making the current KF a "Free2Play" model would mean KF will NEVER be on the UT3 engine :eek:.

"Free2Play" games usualy have a ton of pointless extras just as an excuse to charge you for them such as "war inc - Battlezone" which has 100+ weapons and none of them compare to what you get in KF.

If it did go "Free2Play" then you would have to pay to RENT the weapons from the trader using actual money and not game money.

And personally if TW were making money from players while they played on custom made maps then I wouldn't map any more for it knowing that my content is making someone else money without my permission.

JUST NO

EDIT: Not only would KF2 be on the UT3 engine but all the old maps can be ported over to it and being unreal you could easily make a mutator that would make KF2 play and feel like KF1 if you really wanted to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I say simply NO.

TW don't ask alot for KF especially during holidays where it's 80% off so you can't argue that the game is expensive for its age.

I never said anything that the game was exspensive.
EDIT: or about its price
KF also has a ton of replayabillity due to the gametype and the massive amount of custom made maps out there, meaning a ton of people will play the game without ever paying TW a single penny. Most games I play the entire team is just made up of the default character, which shows how many people actually buy the extra skins.

I can understand that the community may get a bit split up if a KF2 was released but making the current KF a "Free2Play" model would mean KF will NEVER be on the UT3 engine :eek:.

"Free2Play" games usualy have a ton of pointless extras just as an excuse to charge you for them such as "war inc - Battlezone" which has 100+ weapons and none of them compare to what you get in KF.

If it did go "Free2Play" then you would have to pay to RENT the weapons from the trader using actual money and not game money.

And personally if TW were making money from players while they played on custom made maps then I wouldn't map any more for it knowing that my content is making someone else money without my permission.

JUST NO

I did not metion to add renting weapons. but a expansion. God

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never said anything that the game was exspensive.
EDIT: or about its price

You were asking to make the game FREE as if the meagre price TW charge is expensive.

I did not metion to add renting weapons. but a expansion. God

This is what "Free2Play" is...
Give players a game completely free and then rip them off in every way possible.

Examples of F2P games:

-Crimecraft: Weapons that you have bought (real money) deteriarate over a short period of time. You have to fix these using real money. Theres a ton of example in this game.

-Global Agenda: The amount of xp points required to lvl up have been at least quadroupled meaning that you know HAVE to buy boosters to be able to get to play many of its gametypes before you die of boredom.

-Spiral Knights: When your character is downed you can only revive him using real money, not really FREE to play then.

-APB reloaded + Battlezone: you have to RENT weapons which last a short period of time or make the weapon permenant for more than the price of a premium game. eg 1 gun for

Upvote 0
You were asking to make the game FREE as if the meagre price TW charge is expensive.

Give players a game completely free and then rip them off in every way possible.

Examples of F2P games:

-Crimecraft: Weapons that you have bought (real money) deteriarate over a short period of time. You have to fix these using real money. Theres a ton of example in this game.

-Global Agenda: The amount of xp points required to lvl up have been at least quadroupled meaning that you know HAVE to buy boosters to be able to get to play many of its gametypes before you die of boredom.

-Spiral Knights: When your character is downed you can only revive him using real money, not really FREE to play then.

-APB reloaded + Battlezone: you have to RENT weapons which last a short period of time or make the weapon permenant for more than the price of a premium game. eg 1 gun for

Upvote 0
Why do you Persist to make my idea sounds like a rip of? if it goes free to play?
But you are still not getting what my suggestion is.

I think that you get sort of a "demo" for free with unlimited playing time. and if you pay once AND ONLY ONCE. you get the entier game.
No hidden fees no nothing. only once. like a normal game like harry potter or fable 3.

Or you can think it like this. KF goes free to play as it is now. and there is a mutator you can buy to totally upgrade your game. which you pay 1 time for :p

I have nothing against you so don't take it personally.

A Demo of KF is actually a good idea that I agree with, especially if you have unlimited play time but it should be restricted so that you can only play maybe 2 or 3 of the original maps, can only play the long game (10 waves) and after say wave 7 it ends with a "thank you for trying out our game" which then takes the player to the steam store.

Its the Free2Play bit I have a problem with... I've been working on my own game for awhile now and thanks to good influences like TW I'm trying to make the game good value for money with plenty of content without being a rip off...

One of the things I did was study up on Free2Play games and all I can say is that they always end up being a rip off or screw players over.

Global Agent isn't the worst but it has changed, I had it on release and so I know just how much it has changed...Although you do get to be a premium member for

Upvote 0
I have nothing against you so don't take it personally.

A Demo of KF is actually a good idea that I agree with, especially if you have unlimited play time but it should be restricted so that you can only play maybe 2 or 3 of the original maps, can only play the long game (10 waves) and after say wave 7 it ends with a "thank you for trying out our game" which then takes the player to the steam store.

Yeah now we are on the same track. :p but I think instead of ending on wave 7 D: one should be able to try the full length 10 wave match and online. since that would be even more awzm.

Restrict the levling and sandbox stuff instead :)

Upvote 0
No, no, absolutely no to Free2play.

This is simply for the reasons avp stated. They still have to make money at somehow with this game. I would consider Tripwire an indie developer, so they really do need every cent they can get.

And not to mention, Suicidal and HoE would be almost unplayable due to the massive number of Lvl 0/1/2s on there who just wouldn't know what they're doing.

Upvote 0
No, no, absolutely no to Free2play.

This is simply for the reasons avp stated. They still have to make money at somehow with this game. I would consider Tripwire an indie developer, so they really do need every cent they can get.

And not to mention, Suicidal and HoE would be almost unplayable due to the massive number of Lvl 0/1/2s on there who just wouldn't know what they're doing.

what about "free to play" (old KF) and singel pay expansion for (new kf)?

anyways. if there is to be made a new killing floor. if its a sequel or not I bet there will be fixed minimum level to join a server. and the Game is normally setted to Beginner when you first start the game :) this Idea will get through whatever happens I bet :D

Upvote 0
what about "free to play" (old KF) and singel pay expansion for (new kf)?

I'm against TW making expansion packs, in the past with single player games they were a great idea but when it comes to multiplayer it usually wrecks the experience not just for the ones who didn't buy the content but also for those who did because of the great divide that you create.

The only expansion that would be good for KF is a solo campaign that can also be co-oped and the addition of very well done human AI bots...this way we can pay for content that doesn't disrupt the multiplayer community.

PS. please improve the menu - I know the game is years old but it wouldn't take long to do and it would look miles better.

anyways. if there is to be made a new killing floor. if its a sequel or not I bet there will be fixed minimum level to join a server. and the Game is normally setted to Beginner when you first start the game :) this Idea will get through whatever happens I bet :D

I feel this should be in KF anyway and I did join a clever server once which automatically booted players that were on too low a level. Wish I saved that server now because it also had some cool tools like switching the difficulty and only auto booting depending on what difficulty you were on

Upvote 0
Why would they go free2play?
They have no dreadfully overpriced online shop that sells digital consumable items for 1$ and hats for 8$+.
Would you want them to make a dreadfully overpriced online shop selling digital goods that potentially affect gameplay?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would they go free2play?
They have no dreadfully overpriced online shop that sells digital consumable items for 1$ and hats for 8$+.
Would you want them to make a dreadfully overpriced online shop selling digital goods that potentially affect gameplay?

Nope :) only said one time buy expansion. and that digital thingy ur about :p we have DLC's :O

Pretty liberal with other people's money and time, eh?

Yeah im pretty much forcing Twi making a new sequel.... lol wtf its just a discussion :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, you know what they say when you assume.

So I'm gonna guess... in the 17- to 20-year-old range. That or you're way too bitter about people asking for money when it's why they're in the business in the first place. Either way you're being ignorantly cynical about F2P games. Maybe you would rather that they all go back on the $15 a month plan so that you don't even have the free option.

Anyway, over-all I don't think F2P is a bad idea for Killing Floor. I mean, it isn't exactly a new title, it's already made mostly what it's going to make outside of an odd sale here or there. The only real problem I would see with F2P is that it would cause the public games to be terrible for a while with the flood of new players making all sorts of clumsy mistakes... though honestly with some of the things I've seen in pub games, it wouldn't be that much of a shift. ;)

Edit: Though I don't think an expansion is a good idea, unless it was like a... "Unlock the higher difficulties (maybe only Beginner and Normal for F2P)" sort of expansion that current owners of KF would get for free (since we already bought it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Leave the game as it currently is.... I just bought KF two days ago, the entire pack for $29..... considering what you got, it was far cheaper then what you got for L4D2 for $19, which I bought a week earlier.

There are enough players and enough servers, the gameplay and leveling up ability is appealing enough for most people, regardless if there's no sp story line..... if one marketed KF more, than you'd see more people getting it.

Hell, I noticed there's more people still playing KF than there are playing Red Orchestra: Ost.

Move towards a new Killing Floor 2 on the new UT engine, improve graphics, improve physics, add more monsters, include a single player mode with storyline, just make the same game, but twice as big and twice as better.

By the time KF2 is done in that way, I'll have enough time to enjoy KF1 ;)

Also, if the amount of work being done on RO:HoS was put into KF2 on the new engine, Tripwire would have two big hitters under their belt getting them double the profit.

There is only so long you can keep patch-working the same game to keep it relevant before you start to find the profits not matching the amount of work you're putting into the game.

Mind you, I like the game, just bought it and plan on playing it for a long while yet.... at least for the next two years, maybe more. L4D2 pretty well lost my interest after about a week playing, but perhaps I may get back into it after a while.

But KF has something..... Making it Free to Play and then charging for expansions or other minor things just isn't worth it.

Valve just did it with Team Fortress 2, but that's because they're making piles of money from the existing player base buying hats, weapons and other things, and once they bring in more players who get the game for free, they can charge them as well for all those things (however, if one waits, most of those things are handed to you for free while you play)

The amount of content and customizing just isn't there for KF, and I don't want to start paying extra to get or keep the weapons in the shop between rounds.

Maybe you can do that in KF2, but you'd need hundreds of weapons & equipment to choose from to make it worthwhile (so long as you keep them forever after paying real money for them, just keep them in a backpack sort of thing like in TF2 you can access between rounds) because in a couple of months, based on the current weapon choices in KF1, everybody would have everything there is and there'd be no unique aspects making you different from the next player.

The other problem is that those who simply don't have the money or a credit card would be stuck just using pistols or random weapons they'd find around the map (or handed to them by other players) and thus, limit their ability to upgrade certain perks.

Keep KF1 the way it is.... it's not broke, so don't fix it..... start working on KF2 and make it a step up and beyond KF1 with more content, more characters, more monsters, more maps, bigger maps, better graphics, better physics, more weapons, more equipment, toss some vehicles in, include destructible buildings and environemnts......

..... and focus more on marketing so more people are made aware of the game, thus more people possibly buying the game.

I know Tripwire doesn't have a Scrooge McDuck Money Safe to swim in like other companies like Epic, EA, Activision, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony or even Valve....... but investing some money into a larger marketing scheme will pay off with more people knowing about the game and a larger pool of people sending money in, rather than just those on Steam, in these forums or from randomly coming across an obscure review on one or two of the many gaming sites out there.

Just speaking as someone who has worked in advertisement for the last 10 years or so, has a background in graphic design, corporate identity, signs, vehicle graphics, animation, 3D modeling, photography/editing/retouching/restoring and a pile of other things :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I vote to continue updating until a certain point, upon which they should certainly consider making a sequel. Expansions, free to play, ect just doesn't seem like a good idea. Anyways, TWI has hinted at perhaps making a sequel after they finish updating ROHoS, as well as continued updating, so I think they had the same idea. :p

Upvote 0
So I'm gonna guess... in the 17- to 20-year-old range. That or you're way too bitter about people asking for money when it's why they're in the business in the first place. Either way you're being ignorantly cynical about F2P games. Maybe you would rather that they all go back on the $15 a month plan so that you don't even have the free option.

Add at least another decade to that and you're getting closer. Of course developers are in the business to make money I never said otherwise but look at all these devs doing great selling games the normal way.

Actually yeah the pay monthly was miles better, just look at the amount of content in the original Everquest - 16 expansion packs...you will NEVER get that much content on F2P

Anyway, over-all I don't think F2P is a bad idea for Killing Floor. I mean, it isn't exactly a new title, it's already made mostly what it's going to make outside of an odd sale here or there.

Video games make around 90% of their proffit in the first 2 weeks and that's why you get all these pre-order bonus' because devs want you to pay full price instead of waiting 2 months to get it in the bargin bin. A good example was GTAIV, I went to the bank with

Upvote 0
Just speaking as someone who has worked in advertisement for the last 10 years or so, has a background in graphic design, corporate identity, signs, vehicle graphics, animation, 3D modeling, photography/editing/retouching/restoring and a pile of other things :cool:

notbadobama.png

I approve of everything in this post.

Upvote 0