• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamemode Idea: Survival of the Richest

Junkie

Jul 26, 2011
Survival of the Richest

Do you not get along well with others? Do you hate sharing? Or is your very being simply filled with an insatiable misanthropic rage?

Why should you share your hard earned dosh with those money grubbing bastards you call teammates, who are only going to use said dosh to buy even bigger guns to kill even more zeds, effectively leaving you with even less dosh.

The world is in chaos. There is no more order. The only way you're going to survive is through self preservation. And the ones that preserve are the ones with the most cash. The survival of the richest.

All players spawn on opposite sides of map, their current amount of money displayed in the scoreboard and is updated at the end of every round. The general premise is similar to the standard gamemode. Survive each wave until every zed is killed. However, instead of cooperating with your teamates, you're working against them. The player with the most money by the final round is the winner. You could simply sit and camp in a corner, killing Zeds and staying out of harm's way. However, that means that there are other living players out there, cutting into your income; taking YOUR kills. Killing other players will eliminate them from the round's cut of the money and will drop 1/2 of their total amount of cash on the ground. You will have to learn to conserve money and ammunition. No more simply mashing buy all on the trader menu because you've got a good kill streak going on. Having a tough time surviving in the later waves? Form fragile alliances with your enemies. And hell, maybe at the end of a wave, pop them in the back of the head and take their money. Nobody will probably trust you for the rest of that game, but hey, maybe it is worth it. In between rounds is peace time for trader, but at the end of the buying time, players will be randomly teleported far away from each other, and be given 10 extra seconds to set up in their new area.

So, do you guys like the sound of my idea? Any questions, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to consider perks and how they may affect gameplay. Maybe everybody would have the same level perks in the game, or if that doesn't work out too well, perks would be disabled. Gameplay testing would have to be done to really determine what would be best.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool idea to me. It would add a new bit of strategy. I think a lot of us know someone who plays like this anyways, I sure do. ;)

The first time I read it, I wondered about perks too. Specifically the berzerker, kiting around the map, and not needing to buy any weapons or ammo after wave 1. Unless he's taken out by others, sounds like an easy win.

I think you'd have to disable perks to make it fair. There's too much advantage for higher level perks in weapon and ammo cost, and damage bonus.
6 players, no perks = level playing field.

How about a way to "covertly" communicate in-game with select teammates without others knowing? Say I want to conspire with a teammate without the group's knowledge, or surprise attack the one guy who's getting all the kills

What about maps? I experimented with the SDK a little bit I'm no expert. Could the existing maps be used, maybe have to add teleporters? or would entire new maps need to be made?

Upvote 0
Funny idea but I dont know if it would work very well. If you are able to kill other players the games would end pretty quickly unless the maps were huge. Perhaps with more than 6 players, 30 or so on a gigantic map with a timelimit.

The game wouldn't end if everyone dies before the round ends. It would simply go to the next round and every player that died would lose a certain percentage of their money. If they continue to die every round, that will give players an incentive to team up, creating tension and fear of betrayal.

Upvote 0
If they continue to die every round, that will give players an incentive to team up, creating tension and fear of betrayal.

I was thinking something along those lines, give an incentive, somehow, to promote some cooperation. I think it can be done on an average map with 6 players.

If it were done as HaTeMe suggested, 30 man, huge map, this is an interesting suggestion too. I believe it opens up the door for having perks enabled. with so many people and so few perks I think it could work. Maybe award the berserker a little less money for melee kills to help balance out the ammo cost to the other perks. Also sounds like a good mod for clan v. clan matches.

Upvote 0
I was thinking something along those lines, give an incentive, somehow, to promote some cooperation. I think it can be done on an average map with 6 players.

If it were done as HaTeMe suggested, 30 man, huge map, this is an interesting suggestion too. I believe it opens up the door for having perks enabled. with so many people and so few perks I think it could work. Maybe award the berserker a little less money for melee kills to help balance out the ammo cost to the other perks. Also sounds like a good mod for clan v. clan matches.

I think a 30 man game would make the game lose some of its tension. With that many people all over the map it would probably end up devolving into a deathmatch game. With a smaller assortment of players, you end up bumping into them less and you learn all of their tactics and personalities personally. You know who you can trust and who you can't. Who knows, it could be fun though. This is just me theorizing.

I think it would also be a good idea to add a "trust" button that, when agreeing to team up with another player, you can click their name in the scoreboard, and if they agree, a small insigne will appear above both of your heads to each other to alert them that you're friendly. This and a pm like chat system would both be great additions.

As for perks, I would like to see them actually in the game, as I believe they would add a layer of depth to the combat and would make choices more difficult. You could go out as a medic, being extra durable and all, but suffer the bonus of being inferior to your enemies weapon-wise. You could be a berserker and not constantly have to restock on ammo or expensive weapons, but the lack of any powerful long range weapons leaves you vulnerable to sharpshooters and other long range enemies. I'm sure there would need to be some balancing in place, but if the class system could still work in this mode, it would be great.

Upvote 0