• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey everyone, small problem when i host on my PC

Renegade65

Jul 16, 2011
So when i go and host on my PC on killing floor, mountain pass is the worst for this specific problem, the server will crash on my PC and give this error.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2813 MHz with 4095MB RAM

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 210 (6724)

General protection fault!

History: SkeletalMeshGet <- USpriteEmitter::UpdateParticles <- AEmitter::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-MountainPass_Day <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

My pc specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom(TM) II X6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit home edition
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 210 with 1GB dedicated to the card
2TB hard drive

I would like some help trying to keep this from happening, it tends to happen frequently with 6 people in the server, 3-5 not as much, and solo or 2 people i havent had it happen yet. All my drivers are up to date and i have only 1TB of my 2TB HDD full so i obviously have more than i need there. The only programs i do run while on KF and hosting is ventrilo for communication which on my old XP pc it ran all this fine PLUS hosting, just this new PC has has this problem and i am not sure what is going on. If anyone has any ideas or ways that could fix the problem, please let me know! i greatly appreciate it!

I saw the post about the log file so i have posted the latest crash in there. it just happend to me about 10 minutes ago and i decided to post it real quick so i can hope for some help resolving this issue.

~Renegade

Last edited:
my log file

my log file

Log: execInitStatInt called - NewValue=0
ScriptLog: STEAMSTATS: WaveEnded resetting 'Single Wave' Stats - Player=Renegade
Critical: USpriteEmitter::UpdateParticles
Critical: AEmitter::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=2)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: Level KF-MountainPass_Day
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Critical: FMallocWindows::Realloc
Critical: 4C576C61 0 FArray
Critical: FArray::Realloc
Critical: 0*2
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.
Localization: No localization: Window.IDDIALOG_CrashBox.IDC_CrashBox (int)
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 1 GByte 626 MByte 680 KByte 495 Bytes from HD took 2.274027 seconds (2.122027 reading, 0.152000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.311000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 07/18/11 14:27:56

Upvote 0
Since it's a "General protection fault" I'd be checking hardware or running it as admin.

i'd guess memory problems since you get the problems on larger maps with 3+ users.

The system is new? maybe try Memtest86, BurnInTest or similar programs to check for errors.

Maybe check you have the file Read/Write permissions within the games folder too.

Upvote 0
My pc

My pc

i will try running it as admin, see if that has any changes. this PC is fairly new, about 3-5 months and my girlfriend, that lives with me, has the exact same PC and has the same problems, as well as my brother is running a PC that is a bit lower than me and has the same problem. i am thinking it is a problem with the new update for the "summer camp" thing. the reason why i say this is i used to run some servers myself on counterstrike and a few others, and when special skins were used, some were fairly large in size and caused problems with registry and server failure, i am wondering if it may be the skins, i am just laying low for now until they take it off so i can test it from there. but overall i dont think it is a hardware problem considering my GF and i have basicly the same PC's overall and having two identical units fail at the EXACT same thing and nothing else seems pretty astronomical to me. she does a TON of multitasking, video rendering, photoediting, and webdesign most time simultaniously, without error so i cant imagine that KF has THAT huge of a payload on a PC that can do all that. another piece of evidence i feel is to the fact of the new skins is because it usually is when a new round starts, and a bunch of new creeps spawn. but i am more than open to any suggestions, i will try your ideas teoma and i appreciate them. Thanks! =)

Upvote 0
To test without the new models you can use the Sandbox feature with a dedicated server. use the web admin to change the game length to Custom and load a new map.

This should use the default skins.

A server uses about 250MB RAM sat idle, it's a lot of data that can go wrong :)

Deleting the games "System" folder (36.5MB) and re-verifying through steam is usually suggested with these problems too.
This will erase your KillingFloor.ini, so back that up.

Upvote 0
@ majinsnake: what exactly should i change it to and what numbers should it be changed to?

@ Teoma: it isnt summer skins anymore so it is all default and i still have the problem. it isnt a dedicated server, this is my own personal PC with nothing else running besides my firewall that is properly configured for KF hosting, which i have done a lot but this problem happens a lot with firebugs and the start of new rounds, i would imagine due to the strain, but i dont see why a PC like mine and the specs it has could have this type of problem.

Upvote 0