• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism and Custom Mode questions

Some of the other guys already mentioned this, but essentially we're still playing around with the realism/relaxed realism mode settings and they aren't finalized yet. Basically we've got a bunch of options and we're still working on nailing down which ones will be turned on/off for the different settings levels. But I'll give you some answers that you should not consider set in stone:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?
Yes and yes.

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?
Yes

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed ect. for experience players) in the Realism mode?
Yes

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?
You can filter by "Standard", "Realistic", and "Custom". We may look at adding some additional filtering features should they be needed post release.

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks/rare weapons will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums? Will servers be able to choose which specific weapons or unlocks are unavailable?
In custom mode you have a lot of different options. You can limit which weapons, and which levels of ranking are available. So if you don't want the rare weapons, you can tell the server not to allow them. If you don't want guys to have "perks" or any ranking benefits, then you can limit that. I don't think there are any settings to force things on though. In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, no rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?
No there is not a plan for this. To be perfectly honest with you, most of the RO1 players coming into the beta love the new game so much it doesn't really seem necessary. Although you can accomplish most of these things with different settings in the Custom mode.

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?
Currently core gameplay does not change. Bullets still kill you, you run at the same speed, etc. This is subject to change though as we finish balancing the game out. The difference between the two modes is primarily about hud features, spectating modes, etc.

Upvote 0
6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, no rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?
No there is not a plan for this. To be perfectly honest with you, most of the RO1 players coming into the beta love the new game so much it doesn't really seem necessary. Although you can accomplish most of these things with different settings in the Custom mode.

I'm going to be playing sans unlocks.

In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

This is very wise, however, I think in realism mode it would be wiser to make all standard equipment available at level 1 even in ranked realism games with unlocks. e.g. bayonets and drum mags.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?
You can filter by "Standard", "Realistic", and "Custom". We may look at adding some additional filtering features should they be needed post release.

I almost feel bad to complain when you give so much information. But this does sound really bad. I don't think you have any whatsoever in lack of a better word, right to say that people can customize their servers for their own liking if it will be this hard to find a server of your liking. The best bet people will have will probably be browsing the web in search of a server, not the ingame browser. I was honestly expecting way more after all your rambling and all the "you can customize the game to your liking" comments.

My impression was something like the ability to name your custom setting, voting system for custom settings etc. Was that another game or did I dream that up? I hope something way better then mentioned gets released pre-launch.

In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

Many thanks, hugs and kisses. This has been my biggest worry. Not so much for the historically correctness but I think pistols for every class would affect gameplay in a direction I don't like.

Of course they love it, it's RO2 for gods sake. Doesn't mean they wouldn't love a "RO Classic" mode even more. Obviously not a high priority to give a bag of candy to kids at a toy store, but it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I almost feel bad to complain when you give so much information. But this does sound really bad. I don't think you have any whatsoever in lack of a better word, right to say that people can customize their servers for their own liking if it will be this hard to find a server of your liking. The best bet people will have will probably be browsing the web in search of a server, not the ingame browser. I was honestly expecting way more after all your rambling and all the "you can customize the game to your liking" comments.

The expectation is that figuring out how to populate and present these servers is now incumbent upon the community.

That's why I shifted my vitriol towards the community. I despise people with bad taste and people who give popular support to inferior products.

So the requirement, here, is that those of us with like minds build an environment in which we can play custom rotations, server options, populate the servers of the unbelievable and wonderful people that host those servers, and promote them. I'll do my best and I hope others follow suit in the realism/reenactment/retentive community.

Think of it as an extension of your ongoing efforts to evangelize RO to the COD/Xbox community at large.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Ramm. I really appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else with these concerns does to.

The only thing I am disappointed about is how unspecific the filter will be. If at all possible to release a more indepth filter post release I think many (not just realism fans) will appreciate it.

Nevertheless, thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Some of the other guys already mentioned this, but essentially we're still playing around with the realism/relaxed realism mode settings and they aren't finalized yet. Basically we've got a bunch of options and we're still working on nailing down which ones will be turned on/off for the different settings levels. But I'll give you some answers that you should not consider set in stone:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?
Yes and yes.

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?
Yes

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed ect. for experience players) in the Realism mode?
Yes

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks/rare weapons will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums? Will servers be able to choose which specific weapons or unlocks are unavailable?
In custom mode you have a lot of different options. You can limit which weapons, and which levels of ranking are available. So if you don't want the rare weapons, you can tell the server not to allow them. If you don't want guys to have "perks" or any ranking benefits, then you can limit that. I don't think there are any settings to force things on though. In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?
Currently core gameplay does not change. Bullets still kill you, you run at the same speed, etc. This is subject to change though as we finish balancing the game out. The difference between the two modes is primarily about hud features, spectating modes, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Regarding an "RO Classic" preset, it sounds like it could be an issue to make one, even if the community as to do it, and even with the options you guys provide.

For instance, such a hypothetical preset would include all equipment that was standard in RO1. This would include being able to give everyone 71 drum magazines for the PPSH, bayonets, and whatever else needs to be unlocked in RO2 that was simply given to players in RO1. If the custom server settings don't allow for this because of the unlocks system, that would be a real shame ...

Upvote 0
My impression was something like the ability to name your custom setting, voting system for custom settings etc. Was that another game or did I dream that up? I hope something way better then mentioned gets released pre-launch.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. With what seems like a decent portion of the community clamoring for anything but the new ranking system you can be sure there will be a good selection of customized realism servers that fit the bill.

I honestly think it's a shame that some people don't even seem to want to give the system a chance.

Upvote 0
The expectation is that figuring out how to populate and present these servers is now incumbent upon the community.

That's why I shifted my vitriol towards the community. I despise people with bad taste and people who give popular support to inferior products.

So the requirement, here, is that those of us with like minds build an environment in which we can play custom rotations, server options, populate the servers of the unbelievable and wonderful people that host those servers, and promote them. I'll do my best and I hope others follow suit in the realism/reenactment/retentive community.

Think of it as an extension of your ongoing efforts to evangelize RO to the COD/Xbox community at large.

It would mean that only hardcore gamers visiting some specific sites/forums would ever find these servers while you in return might miss out on other fantastic servers and custom content people created.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. With what seems like a decent portion of the community clamoring for anything but the new ranking system you can be sure there will be a good selection of customized realism servers that fit the bill.

I honestly think it's a shame that some people don't even seem to want to give the system a chance.

It isn't a matter of whether there will be servers or not. The question is how to find them. One of the best ways in my opinion would be if the below make it into the game and you can add custom server settings people have created and show all servers with the selected settings.

Fact Thread said:
Custom Server Configs: Server configs are customizable, can be shared, and can even be rated by others. (Source: BashandSlash Interview)

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post regarding searching for custom servers. Have this glorious idea been scraped?

EDIT: It's mentioned 1 hour 7 min into the podcast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This is exactly what server admins love and a reason many of us spend so much money at our hobby. We enjoy providing a place where folks who think and play like us can come, enjoy themselves, provide input into what makes the game fun for them, and don't mind helping everyone have a great time.

Whether its a run 'n gun CoD copy, or an ARMA wannabe setup, if there is a large enough player base you will be able to find the style of game and type of map rotation you love. All it takes is just the slightest effort on 'your' part. So ramp up the numbers!!

I have the upmost confidence that this will happen with RO2. If you enjoy the company and playing style of a server, by all means let the admin know and respectfully voice your likes and dis-likes as well. (Do it through their forums or email, though. Admins like to play and the ingame chatter is distracting......:cool:)

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
It isn't a matter of whether there will be servers or not. The question is how to find them. One of the best ways in my opinion would be if the below make it into the game and you can add custom server settings people have created and show all servers with the selected settings.

I'm sure whatever system they have for server searches will work just fine so you can find what you need.

It's not like they would just spend time working on an intricate server customization system then go and make it a challenge to actually find them with the options players are searching for.

At the very least it should be decent enough to let you find servers that are customized and let you then see what options are used. At best it could be a very in-depth system you can search for specific options with, like you describe. Hell it might even get better than that, who knows?

Upvote 0
I'm sure whatever system they have for server searches will work just fine so you can find what you need.

It's not like they would just spend time working on an intricate server customization system then go and make it a challenge to actually find them with the options players are searching for.

At the very least it should be decent enough to let you find servers that are customized and let you then see what options are used. At best it could be a very in-depth system you can search for specific options with, like you describe. Hell it might even get better than that, who knows?

Upvote 0

He said when needed. So if after launch we will still be asking for that filter, chances are they will give you one.
Till that time there is a very easy solution:
Inform every clan/realism unit that they put 'RO CLASSIC' or 'RO1' in front of their server name. This way it is automatically filtered (only requirement is you must be able to find the R in the alphabet).

I love all the info, confirms how everybody was far to 'doomsayer' like:D

Upvote 0

I would love to see this mode become an option, as it is the only one I would be interested in playing (although I'd be very interested in playing it!). I hear what the devs are saying, that the advantages provided by grinding are small, but an advantage is an advantage, and that's totally unacceptable to me. It sounds like it would be possible to create a fair game mode with the custom mode options, but if someone wanted to find it, it sounds like they'd have to wade through a lot of off the wall stuff to do so.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Regarding an "RO Classic" preset, it sounds like it could be an issue to make one, even if the community as to do it, and even with the options you guys provide.

For instance, such a hypothetical preset would include all equipment that was standard in RO1. This would include being able to give everyone 71 drum magazines for the PPSH, bayonets, and whatever else needs to be unlocked in RO2 that was simply given to players in RO1. If the custom server settings don't allow for this because of the unlocks system, that would be a real shame ...

This is exactly what i want in server settings. The server mods to chose what unlocks you get all the time and what unlocks you never get.

For my perfect server I would;
- Bayonets for all Riflemen
- 71 drum mags for PPSHs
- No Rare Weapons (Mkb42, G41, AVT40)
- No Levels or Perks
- No Dual Mag for MP40
- Pistols for historical classes

Upvote 0
This is exactly what i want in server settings. The server mods to chose what unlocks you get all the time and what unlocks you never get.

For my perfect server I would;
- Bayonets for all Riflemen
- 71 drum mags for PPSHs
- No Rare Weapons (Mkb42, G41, AVT40)
- No Levels or Perks
- No Dual Mag for MP40
- Pistols for historical classes

That would be great for realism matches and even pubbing for some of us.

Upvote 0