• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slightly dissapointed in SP

The concept of this SP is good, but the AI behavior is not right. They act too much like bots, and they don't seem to have any kind of squad cohesion, grouping together or defending a position. You see the German defenders running carelessly outside towards their death, or soviet attackers not having a clear sense of direction, stopping on their tracks to run on the opposite direction.

There is still a lot of work to do until the game is released I suppose, and I'll save my judgment to that moment as I said before, but I doubt that a month and a half is long enough for it.

Reactions: samol
Upvote 0
The concept of this SP is good, but the AI behavior is not right. They act too much like bots, and they don't seem to have any kind of squad cohesion, grouping together or defending a position. You see the German defenders running carelessly outside towards their death, or soviet attackers not having a clear sense of direction, stopping on their tracks to run on the opposite direction.

There is still a lot of work to do until the game is released I suppose, and I'll save my judgment to that moment as I said before, but I doubt that a month and a half is long enough for it.

I hope that they have different levels of AI, from dumb to extremely smart.

Upvote 0
I seem to remember there are different levels of AI mentioned in one interview video with John Gibson. In the interview video they were using the lowest level of AI so they could show the features off rather than getting killed every 5 seconds so the AI we have seen in SP may not be representative of what it could be.

Any beta testers or developers care to confirm or deny this?

Upvote 0

The game is in feature lock. In other words, the game is done. They're not going to change or add anything at this point because changing or adding stuff might add 80 new bugs. They're now working on the actual release itself and are probably working on the first patch as well.

Upvote 0
The game is in feature lock. In other words, the game is done. They're not going to change or add anything at this point because changing or adding stuff might add 80 new bugs. They're now working on the actual release itself and are probably working on the first patch as well.

Some of the strange AI behavior could be on their list of what is to be fixed before release.

Upvote 0

The AI does need a lot of work... at least from looking at the videos. I just hope the commandable squad members are as intelligent and efficient as the ones in SWAT 4. If they have issues following orders, path finding issues, ect. then the SP will be worthless.

I hope TWI can improve the AI before, or even after release. :)

Upvote 0
I see you guys are forgetting the video we've seen of Firefight where the AI squad stuck together and attacked from a bridge, and dispersed together once a few of them were taken down. Hell they even use cover intelligently.

For freeform, independent AI they behave pretty damn well. And little things like seeing them turn to shoot/suppress attackers while they're running in the open seem to be lost on some people or interpreted as poor work.

If I were the one doing the AI coding I'd feel a bit insulted by some of the comments here.

Upvote 0
I'm also a bit disappointed with the SP....and nowdays SP is more important to me than MP.

The reason for my small disappoint is not AI related...at least not for now.

There is an article about that i found interesting about SP that talked about one thing that i wanted to know and sadly for me, it's not exactly good news.

If i read the article about it correctly, it seems that in the SP campaign you play a section of it for the Germans then next one for the Soviets and so on each section separated by cut scenes where your (new) commander explains your mission and why and how important it is....

The problem is NOT the cut scenes...

The problem is that i was expecting to play a full campaign always in the German side or always Soviet side that i would select in the begin of the campaign...instead, there will this jumping from faction to faction like in "World in Conflict: Soviet Assault" (that btw, i really enjoyed every bit playing in the Soviet side....but this time i was expecting and wanted to play a full campaign from the German side against the Soviets)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Norse Soldat
Upvote 0
It doesn't work like that. You will play continuously as the Germans for ~10 missions as you capture the city of Stalingrad. Then, you play continuously as the Russians for ~10 missions as you recapture the city.

Ahhh,that's better !!! :D

In that case the article is a bit confusing because it didn't seem so that way...

The article was the one of Gamespot and i quote:

The game's campaign will include a handful of missions for both the Germans and the Russians (you'll actually skip around between both sides, rather than play one side all the way through).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kind of thought HOS SP would have a real story and show cinematics and have the dialog of soldiers during town time. I was thinking they could have showed how war really is instead of all these games that seem glorify war like COD,MOH, etc. But it seems like HOS sp is just bots pretty much. It's not a huge deal breaker for me, but a bit dissapointing.

War is: A lot of sitting around.

Upvote 0