• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank unlocks in RO2

Tank!

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2007
Oh god, just realized we haven't heard anything about tank unlocks. HE shells as unlock? Please tell me there are reasonable stuff that you can have as tank unlocks.

As you all probably know by now there are 'gamey' unlocks in RO2 such as enemy weapons, better scopes, and bayonets. What about tanks? Why not tanks? This got me thinking what could possibly be unlocked for tanks? Longer cannons and thicker armor? Perhaps. According to the The RO2:HoS Fact Thread we will get the following tanks:

• Panzerkampfwagen IV F2 (50 mm frontal armor with 75 mm L/43)
  • Panzerkampfwagen III J (50 mm frontal armor with 50 mm L/42)
I propose the following two unlocks for these tanks:

• Unlock # One
1a.) Panzer IV F2 usage unlocks a Panzer IV F1. Why the F1? The F1 would be almost identical to the F2 already in game except for the main weapon and mostly minor internal changes. Minimum dev work to get this in game. The F1 would be more suitable in the urban fighting in Stalingrad with its more powerful HE rounds and can be equipped with rounds that are not compatible with the F2 such as canister rounds.

test1zr.jpg

test2zs.jpg

1b.) Panzer III J usage unlocks a Panzer III J

Last edited:
I also don't see why tank unlocks would do any good to the realism and gameplay. Simple is good enough, a tank is a tank with its own characteristics, weak spots and such. Tank unlocks would also disbalance the gameplay I believe, tank VS tank but also anti-tank soldier VS tank.

I believe tanklovers will have enough toys to play with without arcade-like unlocks and bonusses.

Upvote 0
We need to get away from "Gratz on taking 10 paces heres 100xp" and turn it into

"holy cow an explosion just took out 6 of my mates and one of their blown up legs hit me in the face and knocked me out and I woke up behind 2 germans and broke their neck then smashed some guys face into the steering wheel and rode the hell out of there this game is freaking fun to play".

One is playing to experience the game. The other is playing because in one hours time you could have the blue AK47. Sadly the experience part is diminishing in games as more and more people play to show stats or level up their stuff.

Reactions: billyboy
Upvote 0
I thought their were Russian tanks in the game as well as German, but perhaps they don't count when it comes to unlocks.
I think if you are going to propose a system for tank improvements ie: unlocks, it should include ALL the tanks in the game. :IS2:

I suppose one could unlock the model 1942 hexagonal turret. I don't think it'll do anything besides looks and extra modeling.

Maybe the rare 57mm cannon with better armor penetration could be a variant. Though I don't think this was produced until the Panther showed up - so probably not in time frame.

Here's a list of variants.

If APCR shot (BR-350P) was available at the time, this could be a viable unlock.

In general, I think tank unlocks would outbalance combined arms maps too much, as you probably will only have a few tanks, each with a lot more firepower than each infantryman. Wouldn't be so bad on tank maps though.

And to answer Federov's question on who gets the unlocks, whoever is tank commander.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought their were Russian tanks in the game as well as German, but perhaps they don't count when it comes to unlocks.
I think if you are going to propose a system for tank improvements ie: unlocks, it should include ALL the tanks in the game. :IS2:

Certain people prefer not to even mention the Untermenschen technology. It is not worth it. :IS2:

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
Bad idea. I don't really care for weapon unlocks myself, and vehicle unlocks would be an even worse idea.

With the scale of unlocks revealed I think we can assume that there will be unlocks for the tank commander class too. Probably too late to start giving ideas what these can be though.

Some stuff I can imagine being in that doesn't involve changing the tank itself would be:
Increased speed in changing position inside the tank.
Faster reload (more experienced loader).
Quicker response from crew when solo tanking (drive forward, turn turret etc).

Upvote 0
The bow MG, is it the gun that is shown in the "Germans in Colour" video that was posted here a couple of days ago?

A bow MG is a Machinegun that's usually located in the bow machinegun mount in the bow of a tank. >_<

In the case of the Pz.4 it would be the heavy barrel tank version of the MG-34. For the AA mount the crew usually either dismounted the bow MG or the coaxial MG and mounted it on the AA mount on the cupola.

Last edited:
Upvote 0