• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

adding mirage to a heated barrel

Eug_C

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
this idea sparked from this thread:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=54021[/URL]

Add a mirage effect on all weapons. (more than 20 rounds fire in rapid succession; 30 seconds no fire should reset this)

on machine guns, this effect should be way greater than bolt action, light rifles. reason being, every part of the mg is made of steel. you've only got the stock which is wood.

as for light infantry rifles, most rifles if not all, are covered by the fore wood. however, the end of the rifle(last 10cm to the muzzle) of the rifle is usually exposed. that should cause a mirage effect.

it may sound like nothing, but if you've got optics mounted to your rifle, you will realise that this mirage significantly distorts your vision.

i reckon this will add that ounce of realism into the game.

i would imagine implementation to not be too hard, as no new elements are added into the game, but only an effect added to the player's display.(only in first person view)
other players won't see mirage coming out of another player's barrel.

ideas?

I think you mean heat waves, not a mirage. You only see mirages when you are dehydrated and probably balls deep in the desert.... or at least that's what would happen in The Wild Thornberry's and other cartoons.

Just be pedantic, a mirage is the reflection of the blue sky over a hot surface, such as the desert floor or asphalt road. The hot surface heats the air directly above it, giving it a different density and hence index of refraction than the cooler air above. The difference in index of refraction causes light coming from the sky to reflect / bounce. The index of refraction of water is different that of air, which leads to the same reflection effect - so our brains interpret the reflection off the air as water.

So you don't need to be dehydrated at all to see a mirage - I see them all the time driving to Vegas in my air conditioned car. Now being dehydrated and out of your mind a bit might make you actually believe it's real water, when you should know better.

All that said, this would be a really cool addition to the game. Hope it makes it in eventually.

Upvote 0
can someone please provide some decent information / evidence as to how much you have to shoot before you can see this effect ( this has spread into two threads now so Im going to re iterate that here). We're already jumping on the 'lets do it bandwagon' and we dont even know what is required to do this..

Also side note. From my understanding of a steaming/smoking barrel which can be seen on some torture tests after firing hundreds of rounds. This is very likely caused by water vapour in the air being turned to steam by the heat of the barrel, note that this would be less likely to happen in very dry air, most notibly in desert locations, OR in winter. ( ie so it might be map dependant )

Upvote 0
My post from the "other" thread.

Nearly every gun does it, Mausers are notorious for it as a large part of their upper barrel isn't covered up. On a G98 you'll get heat flickering after roughly 20-25 rounds in a succession of about one round every 30 seconds, on the Kar98k you'll get it after roughly 30-35 rounds. That is on a day that's in the 20-30

Upvote 0
oops sorry. termed it wrongly.

heat waves then.
simply, distortion of the player's vision.

but what Serathis said made sense. the engine may not allow it.
if so, damn. but it's gonna push the realism up if it gets implemented.

can't wait!

Mirage is the correct word. Would be cool to see on hotter maps (the summer of 1942 was a record for high temp I think) and over the exhaust of tanks.

Upvote 0
still, i wouldn't risk doing that with such mass produced weapons.

i reckon, don't hold the stock down if you're gonna shoot without the fore wood.

The forewood on top of the barrel on a 91/30 is just a small piece of wood held there by two bands that go around the lower part of the gun. It plays no part in the guns structural integrity. It's pretty much only there for looks and to prevent you from a very painfull burn should you touch the barrel after firing. ( mine slides foreward sometimes and I have touched the barrel, yeouch that gets hot! )

Upvote 0