• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mk.2-M Medic Pistol

OCAdam

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Throwing out a refined version of a previous idea I had. I'm not reusing the old thread because people will simply read the initial post and completely ignore the rest, or misconstrue it... again.

---

Name: Mk.2-M Medic Pistol
Caliber: .22LR Sabot Dart

(firemodes)
Primary: Fire Sabot Projectile
Secondary: Self-Shot Sabot

(damage)
Base Damage: ZERO
Headshot Multiplier: x1

(firerate*)
Rounds/Min: 330
Fire Rate: 0.18
Secondary Fire Rate: 2.1
Reload: 3.4

(recoil)
Recoil X: 50
Recoil Y: 75
Rate: 0.18
Spread: 0.01

(momentum)
Momentum Transfer: 5500
Projectile Speed: 15000

(magazine)
Magazine Capacity: 10
Initial Ammo: 20
Maximum Ammo: 40

(cost**)
Cost/Mag: 80
Total Mag Cost: 320
Weapon Cost: 12500 (375)
Sale Value: 9375 (281,25)

(weight)
Weight: 2 block(s)

(penetration)
Penetrations: ZERO

(medic)
Tier: 2.5
Max Charge: N/A
Heal/Shot: 20
Heal/Sec: 100

*Fire Rate is what would be used as the value in the default properties in the code. Simply put, it's the inverse of the Rounds/Min stat multiplied by 60 (Fire Rate is in seconds/round). Secondary Fire Rate is also based on seconds/round.

**Total Mag Cost is simply the cost of refilling from zero ammo to max ammo. The parenthesized values by Weapon Cost and Sale Value are the values after being a lvl. 6 Medic.

Edits:
Changed weight from 3 to 1. (Undedd Jester) Then to 2. (Rhenna)
Changed costs from purchase of 4000 to 12500. Level 6 cost went from 120 to 375. (Undedd Jester)
Changed reload speed from 2.3 to 3.4 seconds. I forgot about how slow it was to reload! (Rhenna)

---

Weapon Description: A Horzine development in medical firearms equipment, this pistol can only fire special saboted darts for medical use in the field.

---

Now that hard values, notes of these values, and the weapon description are out of the way... on to explain the weapon in detail.

The Mk.1-M Medic Pistol is purely a medical use only pistol. There is no possibility of using the weapon offensively (although the idea of other perks being able to fire things like adren or nerve agents were thought on, but for later use in other ideas... as other people have thought of these things before).

The idea for this being a Horzine development comes simply from a bit of small research into gun politics in England. I noticed pistols are pretty much impossible to have as a civilian, so the idea of Horzine having to create their own experimental pistol came to mind next.

As for actual weapon operation in-game... This pistol is like having a ranged version of the Syringe, except with a few advantages and disadvantages that come with the range.

Pros:
-ranged
-no charge times (each dart is self contained)
-quick for healing
-secondary allows for (unrealistic) self-shooting to heal
-200 HP worth of heal per magazine in under 2 seconds
-1.5x dart speed over MP7M's dart

Cons:
-low heal power per dart
-small magazine size
-expensive to use (8 per shot)
-low max ammo
-slow reload

---

So, what purpose does this weapon fit, you might ask?

Well, if you look at how the MP7M's heal dart operates, you will see that at level 6 Medic, it takes approximately 0.5 seconds to recharge for each shot you fire (if I'm reading the code right)... if you're just going at a rate to fire indefinitely. Of course, due to the firerate of the dart fire anyways being 0.5, that's just in the right timing for this. However, it's also healing at 20 per shot.

So... that means you could be using the Mk.3-M and firing approximately 2.5 times the darts and healing 50HP in the same time. Of course, this speed healing would drain your ammo up very quickly, so it's heavily useful for just the extreme need to heal a teammate. This, of course, is barring the problem of heals that want to malfunction.

Why so expensive of ammo?

Simple. As I've read on the forums, it looks like currently KF uses the idea of 0.6 pounds per HP, so this means 12 pounds per 20HP heal. So, 8 per shot is still gaining you cash. Of course, there are those times you miss. This in a way is pretty lenient since you can hit twice, but miss once and break even.

What gun would this be modeled after?

Ruger Mk.2. The Whole Mk.2-M probably should have been something of a key there.

Oh great, another American gun...

So what? I've personally fired a Mk.2, and it was good. Also, from some other research, it looks like this particular line of .22 pistols is worldwide, so Horzine would likely have taken one and modified it to be their new medical gun prototype.

Last edited:
Since you forgot to add a picture of the Ruger Mk2 i decided i'd help you by adding one :)

RMK2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmm... so its a totally non lethal, ranged Medic healing tool? Basically a Medic syringe with no bullets.

Not a bad suggestion really, in fact I rather like the idea. Reminds me of the M9 tranquilizer gun from MGS2. The only problem you have with this weapon is there is no use for it. (and I don't mean that negatively :))

One mistake you have made is to make it 3 weight blocks. With the fact it has limited ammuntion, having it weigh the same weight as the Mp7M makes it totally useless. The Mp7M is the far better choice each time. Your best bet is to make it weigh either 1 or 2 blocks.

Personally I'd make the thing weigh 1 weight block, no ammunition just the regular recharge, same heal over time application as the regular healing dart, and require it to be reloaded after each shot. Less time than the Syringe of course but not the rapid fire of the Mp7M.

The problem comes in of course that any players who go Medic wave 1 to buy 1 can then have 2 syringes effectively making the Medic himself a little redundant. I'd make it cost something like

Last edited:
Reactions: OCAdam
Upvote 0
Hmm, I do see where you are coming from on the weight. I'll change that post up top to say 1 block then.

However, reason I went for ammo based healing instead of a syringe pool was that I felt that having extra syringe pools (or even reusing the MP7M's pool) would be either unbalanced in the former, or make the thing useless in the latter. I think it makes a Medic have to choose who they want to heal more on the players who are actually hurting in a worse off situation.

Of course, having a LAW and this little gun would prove interesting... I honestly didn't think of that one! Hmm... quick little change in my spreadsheet... and making 400 for the Medic 6's does... Oh, 13,333... I think I'll just go with 12500 (makes for 375 @ Medic 6).

Upvote 0
...Personally I'd make the thing weigh 1 weight block, no ammunition just the regular recharge, same heal over time application as the regular healing dart, and require it to be reloaded after each shot. Less time than the Syringe of course but not the rapid fire of the Mp7M...

Personally, I'd allow the 10-shot magazine. As an owner of one of these, (albeit, the 5-1/2" (14 cm) bull-barrel variant), I can tell you that this is *not* a quickly-reloaded pistol. The magazine release is at the base of the grip, and the magazine doesn't fall clear on it's own; at least not on any of the several I've fired. It must be pulled clear with the off hand. (This could prove to be an interesting animation.) In any case, this less-than-lightning reload might be a realistic means of "balancing" this pistol.

While the sight-picture inherent on these pistols is precise and well-defined, it seems to me that a healing tool of this nature would benefit from some form of optical sight. But, that is OCAdam's call, of course. I can attest that all manner of optical sights are quite commonly found on these pistols, but I can see the logic in electing to omit them in this instance.

These are not terribly heavy weapons, but the 6-7/8" (17.5 cm) variant in the photo that CandleJack provided is somewhat bulky. I'd say 2 blocks would be about right for the "standard" MK. II with iron-sights; 3 blocks for a longer barrel and glass sights.

Reactions: OCAdam and Lubaz
Upvote 0
Personally, I'd allow the 10-shot magazine. As an owner of one of these, (albeit, the 5-1/2" (14 cm) bull-barrel variant), I can tell you that this is *not* a quickly-reloaded pistol. The magazine release is at the base of the grip, and the magazine doesn't fall clear on it's own; at least not on any of the several I've fired. It must be pulled clear with the off hand. (This could prove to be an interesting animation.) In any case, this less-than-lightning reload might be a realistic means of "balancing" this pistol.

While the sight-picture inherent on these pistols is precise and well-defined, it seems to me that a healing tool of this nature would benefit from some form of optical sight. But, that is OCAdam's call, of course. I can attest that all manner of optical sights are quite commonly found on these pistols, but I can see the logic in electing to omit them in this instance.

These are not terribly heavy weapons, but the 6-7/8" (17.5 cm) variant in the photo that CandleJack provided is somewhat bulky. I'd say 2 blocks would be about right for the "standard" MK. II with iron-sights; 3 blocks for a longer barrel and glass sights.

Well then, how about an internally suppressed Mk2?

ruger-mk-ii-ruger-mk.jpg

Reactions: Undedd Jester
Upvote 0
At the risk of this practically turning MGS4, I think the internally suppressed Mk2 would work nicely, although the standard length works as well. I'm not opposed to either. Although for the price on the thing, you'd think Horzine would figure some way to reduce the weight a bit! As for optics, a really small red dot (like one I've used on a race gun at a pistol club shoot) might be considerable.

In any case, it makes me kinda want to try making another go at this weapon model... if someone ever can port the arm anims to FBX so I can use them in Maya... otherwise someone else would be better off doing the model (or just anims if they wanted).

I'm gonna go change the weight listed as 2. It might not allow the LAW combo, but it does allow for MP7M and XBow. Hrm... that might be a tad powerful... crap. Maybe if the LAW goes to weight of 12...but for some reason, the KF wiki lists the LAW as a 12... but the Stats PDF Phada made shows as 13...

Upvote 0

Not sure where you live, but in handgun manufacture, European and American pistols differ in their mag releases, generally. The grip base mag release is usually on European/Soviet weapons(makarov, ect), while American weapons have the "standard" button mag release near the trigger guard and drop free mags. This is obviously not the case for every handgun.

I have the Mk3, and it reloads fairly quickly because of this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reminds me of the M9 tranquilizer gun from MGS2.

I like it already!

The biggest problem I see is the one you stated yourself, the weight.. it would either allow ridiculous combos, or would allow minimum combos, making the idea less credible.

Just something that needs considering.

PS. I think changing OTHER weapons is not an option.

Upvote 0
Not sure where you live, but in handgun manufacture, European and American pistols differ in their mag releases, generally. The grip base mag release is usually on European/Soviet weapons(makarov, ect), while American weapons have the "standard" button mag release near the trigger guard and drop free mags. This is obviously not the case for every handgun.

I have the Mk3, and it reloads fairly quickly because of this.

I'm living in a very rural location in the Keystone State, and grew up surrounded by, learning about, and using all manner of firearms.

The inherent beauty of OCAdam's choice of the Ruger is that if he wants to speed-up the reloading process for "balancing" purposes, he can go with the Mark III, which as you pointed out, has a magazine release similar to the other handguns in the game.

If, on the other hand, he feels it necessary to nerf the reload even more, he could opt for the Mark I. This earlier variant has the same magazine arrangement of the Mark II, but, in addition, also needs to have the first round of a fresh magazine manually charged by retracting and releasing the bolt. (This could be a real challenge to animate.) I know, because we have one of those in the arsenal, too.

Aside from the magazine release, the overall appearance of the weapon is essentially the same for all of these pistols, so a single 3D model could very possibly serve for any of them. I will point out that the factory-supplied magazines for the Mark I only hold nine cartridges, however. But, this could serve as an additional nerf, if necessary.

Upvote 0
I like it already!

The biggest problem I see is the one you stated yourself, the weight.. it would either allow ridiculous combos, or would allow minimum combos, making the idea less credible.

Just something that needs considering.

I think I'll just stick with the weight at 2 so it's not ridiculous with having the same weight as the MP7M (which TBH, I think is too low at 3... 4 more likely, considering the HC being a 4). 1 might allow for the LAW, but then it, like you said, would allow way too much for weapon combos.

PS. I think changing OTHER weapons is not an option.

The beauty of balance. Everything has to change at some point for things to mesh just right. But for the moment, things are doing fine without an extra gear in the transmission of balance making you re-tune it all.

Upvote 0