• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

surrendering

In the mod resistance & liberation you could surrender. when you surrenderd it was a personal choice like if your squad got killed you could drop your weapons and then become a POW. but the more immersive parts of when someone surrenderd is that you could go on a mission to save your squadmate or do a prisoner exchange. I also think that it could be implemented if you captured an enemy tank crew you would get 5 points and if you captured a high value target like the commander or a squad leader you could get like 10 or 15 points.

This has been discussed before, and it always ends in the same conclusion:

No one would ever opt to surrender in a fast-paced game like RO. You fight, you die, you respawn. Rinse and repeat. What would be the point of surrendering in a game when you can just try to take a few enemies with you, then respawn 20 seconds later?

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
Stalingrad was the battle were most of a german army surrendered!
(I know, this has nothing to do with the gameplay, but read on)

No one would ever opt to surrender in a fast-paced game like RO. You fight, you die, you respawn.

There is a good reason to surrender:

Your team already lost the battle (you are out of reinforcements, the enemy hold all objectives)
The map last for another 2 minutes, but without reinforcements and half of your team dead you cant win the map anyway.
So what to do? Play the rest of the 2 minutes without any chance of winning/watching the spectator cam cause you are dead?

OR quit right now and surrender to start a new game with your time not wasted by the fact that you cant win anyway?!? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Not to mention that in a battle like Stalingrad, I'm sure it got personal. So that the soldiers would for the most part simply shoot an enemy rather than deal with trying to take them to back to their lines. If you find a full squad, sure; a loner, just shoot him.

Meh, at different points in the campaign, potential POW's were either shot on the spot or were emphatically encouraged to desert/kept alive.

When things got REALLY nasty for one side, they would shoot prisoners. When things were a stalemate they almost always took in the prisoners for intelligence purposes.

So you are 50% correct.

There were even incidents where germans used their own tanks to shield deserting russians from Russian gunfire.

Upvote 0
In RnL "surrendering" was dropping all weapons and saying not to shoot. It wasn't a game mechanic,
all you did was drop your weapons so I don't really understand why you made a thread about this.

But there should be a game mechanic to surrender IF your team already lost the battle
and would waste another 1 or 2 minutes by waiting for the last players to die!

So there is a reason for a thread about it... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0