• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Chinstraps

Having no decals is historically accurate, just somewhat improbable scenario regarding the timeline of the game.

So here's what I did... I google "Stalingrad" and why is is that the first couple of images that show up have German soldiers in it with helmet decals?

Apolfliet.stalingrad2.jpg

Notice how they both have wehrmacht helmet decals.

battle-stalingrad-3.jpg

Notice how the two Wehrmacht soldiers on the left have their WH Decals.

Even if the Dev's don't add decals they should at least add some kind of aged or dirt look to it... The helmet look much too clean. Almost as clean as a modern repro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So here's what I did... I google "Stalingrad" and why is is that the first couple of images that show up have German soldiers in it with helmet decals?.

I know. That doesn't really change the statement that it's both authentic and oddly improbable at the same time, as there's plethora of reasons why there were soldiers who removed their decals and some who kept theirs regardless what the official instructions was. You can find photos from '39 - '40 where you can see decals literally scratched off despite the official stance, and you can find occasionally double decals even from 1945... regardless of the official stance.

Even if the Dev's don't add decals they should at least add some kind of aged or dirt look to it... The helmet look much too clean. Almost as clean as a modern repro.

The higher you're so called rank is the dirtier you are. Besides if you look at the press kit screenshots the helmets are relatively dirty and have signs of wear and tear on them.

While we're at it shall we bring up next that all leather eguipment in RO2 are not properly treated and are factory fresh? Or that the boots have physically incorrect wear "signs" on them? Or there's field repair seams in the trousers that wouldn't make sense if you actually know how to sew things together? Or there's even anachronistic error in the field gear allowing physically impossible setup? Or that the boots are too "large" and clean fitting? Or that the feldgrau of tunic and trousers is an exact match which is more rare than winning in the lottery? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont understand?????

LVL1: Low ranking soldier, fresh from bootcamp - Perfect, immaculate gear.

LVL2: Veteran soldiers, battle experienced - Dirty, tattered, mud-ridden gear.

LVL3: High ranking officer, battle experienced - Perfect, immaculate, latest gear.

I think its wrong to say the higher the rank, the dirtier you get because obviously a field commander won't want to look like a complete scruff would he?

Sturm

Upvote 0
I know. That doesn't really change the statement that it's both authentic and oddly improbable at the same time, as there's plethora of reasons why there were soldiers who removed their decals and some who kept theirs regardless what the official instructions was. You can find photos from '39 - '40 where you can see decals literally scratched off despite the official stance, and you can find occasionally double decals even from 1945... regardless of the official stance.

The higher you're so called rank is the dirtier you are. Besides if you look at the press kit screenshots the helmets are relatively dirty and have signs of wear and tear on them.

While we're at it shall we bring up next that all leather eguipment in RO2 are not properly treated and are factory fresh? Or that the boots have physically incorrect wear "signs" on them? Or there's field repair seams in the trousers that wouldn't make sense if you actually know how to sew things together? Or there's even anachronistic error in the field gear allowing physically impossible setup? Or that the boots are too "large" and clean fitting? Or that the feldgrau of tunic and trousers is an exact match which is more rare than winning in the lottery? ;)

so what you're saying is basically since there's so many(possibly imaginary) errors in the game, any suggestion for more accuracy is pointless.

can't argue with that. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If you had your chinstraps on and a grenade blew up near you, your head could come off because of the concussive explosion. So, I think that should be an option to have chinstraps on or not :3

If you where clouse enough to the pressure wave that it could make a helmet fly off with any serious force, then you'd be clouse enough for the pressure wave to outright kill you anyway.

A lot of soldiers did fear that wearing the chinstrap could result in a broken neck however, there where all sorts of rumours about how wearing the chinstrap could be your death. I have no idea if any of them where actually true, but a lot of soldiers did belive in them regardless.

Upvote 0
I dont understand?????

LVL1: Low ranking soldier, fresh from bootcamp - Perfect, immaculate gear.

LVL2: Veteran soldiers, battle experienced - Dirty, tattered, mud-ridden gear.

LVL3: High ranking officer, battle experienced - Perfect, immaculate, latest gear.

I think its wrong to say the higher the rank, the dirtier you get because obviously a field commander won't want to look like a complete scruff would he?

Sturm

Leveling up has nothing do do with your military rank. Your rank is decided by the class that you are playing. Leveling up instead decides how war torn and experienced you avatar is. The leveling system isn't like cod or bf where you get 5 star generals running around on the front lines.

Upvote 0