• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whitelist Endorsement- Explanations+Acheivs

After looking at the whole "why to people only play stock maps" thread, and talking to many average KF players, I believe that TWI should release a small update introducing the Community to "The Community"; basically, first thing would be to make a little announcement in the menu, or the "News and Announcements" basically explaining the Whitelist and linking to the Whitelist List on the forums. This will encourage those who want more maps to come here and get what they want.

On top of it, there is the fact that many, many gamers have fallen into the almost subconcious habit of only going "where the game wants you to go"; if there is no official reward or acheivement, it's as if they think you're not supposed to go there. How about adding a few achievements like "Win 5 Long Games on 5 diferent Whitelisted Community Maps on Hard". This will lead to people actually experimenting, trying new things, and feeling like that's what they are supposed to do, and yet also feeling very avante-garde undoubtely by their map choices. Quality will naturally draw people, and because it requires multiple custom maps, you won't just see a million Doom2 servers, but people exploring our vast options. And because its an achievement, its not like we are forcing them to do anything; we are just recodnizing it, and saying that it's okay to try these things. It's sad we have to do something like this, but the very existence of Exploiters shows that people are naturally drawn to follow the flashing lights, and in herds.

Thoughts?

/signed

The custom maps are a great way to mix things up. The achievement will get the e-peen parade trying out new maps for kicks. They might even find one they like.

Playing custom maps always feels like wasted time to me because there's just no gain in it.
(okay, leveling, but that's realy slow so f*** that)

Wouldn't that same logic apply to any of the official maps as well?

Upvote 0
Not quite, officials give you achievements.
Because achievements any meaning whatsoever. And many of them give achievements because they are whitelisted.
The gain is getting to experience slightly different gameplay. West London 24/7 would get boring.

Anyway, I agree that this is a good idea, but I also think that very few casual players will take the time to download additional maps because it requires you to get into your steam folder and transfer the files. I know that this isn't hard, but people who play a hour of week or so probably won't take the time and they don't get tired of maps as fast.

Upvote 0
Because achievements any meaning whatsoever. And many of them give achievements because they are whitelisted.
The gain is getting to experience slightly different gameplay. West London 24/7 would get boring.

Anyway, I agree that this is a good idea, but I also think that very few casual players will take the time to download additional maps because it requires you to get into your steam folder and transfer the files. I know that this isn't hard, but people who play a hour of week or so probably won't take the time and they don't get tired of maps as fast.

well, that is true, but there is always the possibility of downloading via server. Granted, any sort of download may offput some people, but I'm not looking for a total change from Retail to Custom (server wise), just something that would really initiate more use of custom maps by servers and people in general. I understand this will not metamorphosize KF, but I'm hoping for some positive consequences :D

Anyways, this hopefully might even initiate something bigger....people actually playing new maps for.....FUN (dun dun dun)

Upvote 0
Well it would be nice to have KF store maps downloaded permanently instead of temporarily (though the temp maps can be ripped). Also a whitelist indicator has been asked for multiple times so you know if leveling is enabled; I don't care about leveling, but a lot of people play to level and get achievements and anything that makes KF more popular is always welcome.

Upvote 0
Well it would be nice to have KF store maps downloaded permanently instead of temporarily (though the temp maps can be ripped). Also a whitelist indicator has been asked for multiple times so you know if leveling is enabled; I don't care about leveling, but a lot of people play to level and get achievements and anything that makes KF more popular is always welcome.

true, although you could always just check to see if the perks enabled box is checked (and

Upvote 0

Isn't there an existing one "stats enabled" or something? Well, if not, that would be nice (but, to be honest, since most would keep 'perks enabled' checked...)

I also would support a 'KF Map store'...however, such a thing under current circumstances with mapping does not make it look likely, especially with such low TWI manpower atm.

I understand my basic idea could be improved significantly to make it much more user-friendly yet, but I'm aiming for a form most likely to be implemented with ease; now, I don't know how difficult adding an achiev is, or the whitelisting link, but to be honest it seems easy in comparison to past updates of late, especially if you look at what the possibilities could be for the game as a whole.

Upvote 0