• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Experience bonus for headshots for all perks

For the record I don't spend my time playing Solo, Commando, Normal. I usually play co-op in the Normal-Suicidal range & I Solo on Hell on Earth. That was just an example for easy math.

I don't really care what the exact headshot damage multiplier is (1.1 vs 1.2) that is not the point.

I never suggested that you could hit a clot with a rocket and expect to get 1520 exp for killing a clot with a rocket or anything...

I'm still a little fuzzy on the whole concept of Head health & body or maybe total health. The bloat is a good example of a zed that generally keeps walking after you lop off their head but other Zeds like the Husk for example pretty much instantly drop after their head comes off, so there would not be enough time to pick up the left over damage on the body if you only did enough damage to knock the head off...

All of say you know exactly what is going on, but so far their have been at least 2 different answers to my question of how much experience is gained by decapitating a zed with a non-sharpshoter weapon (besides my own original & possibly misguided interpretation).

Another suggestion thread called for an exact number to be reported in the experience gauge. An exact number updated in real-time would put an end to this discussion & we could all just check for ourselves.

So far Scary Ghost seems to have the most firm grasp on headshot mechanics & if he is right then Aze is wrong.

And both of them is right.

Ok, HoE clot has 227 hp. No matter how you kill it, it gain 227 points to the perk of the weapon you are using (except ss weapons). NO MATTER HOW.

Upvote 0
OK, after watching Scary Ghost's video linked above I think I have a better idea of what is going on.

It appears that if you "under kill" a specimen. As in decapitate them but leave them walking, you have taken ~75% of their total hp and you have a limited amount of time to do the final ~25% hp worth of damage to them. However if you decapitate them & they fall outright you have overkilled them & taken 100% of there total hp.

So it would appear that if you decapitate a specimen & leave them to walk till they drop you are missing out on only ~25% or less of their exp and if you decapitate them and they drop immediately you have taken 100% of their exp and earned 100% possible exp from the zed.

Does that sound right? It looks like Aze and Ghost are saying the same thing & I misunderstood Ghost the first time I read his post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, after watching Scary Ghost's video linked above I think I have a better idea of what is going on.

It appears that if you "under kill" a specimen. As in decapitate them but leave them walking, you have taken ~75% of their total hp and you have a limited amount of time to do the final ~25% hp worth of damage to them. However if you decapitate them & they fall outright you have overkilled them & taken 100% of there total hp.

So it would appear that if you decapitate a specimen & leave them to walk till they drop you are missing out on only ~25% or less of their exp and if you decapitate them and they drop immediately you have taken 100% of their exp and earned 100% possible exp from the zed.

Does that sound right? It looks like Aze and Ghost are saying the same thing & I misunderstood Ghost the first time I read his post.

Now you got it ;)
And yeah, i was saying the same thing as Ghost, just trying to explain it with a few different examples ^^

Upvote 0
OK, cool. Thanks for taking the time walk through that with me. When I read about enemy health I had the mistaken impression that head hp was separate from body hp and the continued walking after decapitation reinforced that notion. The health bar view of the commando really helped me understand what was going on. I almost never use commando so it had not occurred to me to use that perk to observe decapitation hp.

I'm not really as big an exp whore as I sound like. I spend most of my KF time playing with a buddy who I have ~100+ more hours of exp then. So, I spend most of my time playing support, welding doors, healing, & covering his reloads while he does most of the wet-work. Its payed off though last night we cranked it up to HOE, and made it to wave 10 on kf-farm, 2 player (I know crazy easy map, but hey)...

I just like to know the mechanics of my games b/c I am too dorky for my own good & if I need 5,500,000 damage to top out I would like to get the most outta my kills on the way.

Thanks again,
-Hellrazer

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0