• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question to Devs -- Pistols in RO2 Loadouts

This is a question to the devs.

I have gone back and watched quite a bit of videos from Gamescom last year as well as recent videos and have noticed that, at least in the builds shown, nearly every class has a pistol as a secondary weapon.

Please tell me this isn't so! It's not historically accurate at all to give everyone a pistol, and this would take away the "importance" of having a sidearm for classes such as snipers, officers, machine gunners, and AT crews, not to mention really dumbing down the combat with bolt action rifles. After all, who would use their rifle in close combat if they always have a pistol?

I might be worried for no reason, so please TWI devs, quell my fears and tell me that RO2 is going its usual historical accuracy route by not giving pistols to everyone and their mother as portrayed in past videos!

I might be wrong but I don't think they've ever shown the 'average soldier' loadout, only team leaders and specialty soldiers.
Thats what I thought at first but I just watched this Gamescom 2010 video where they are playing countdown on the Grain Elevator map and the player dies. He then takes over the body of an AI rifleman with a K98, and pulls out a C96 pistol and kills 2 or 3 guys with it.

NOT cool!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats what I thought at first but I just watched this Gamescom 2010 video where they are playing countdown on the Grain Elevator map and the player dies. He then takes over the body of an AI rifleman with a K98, and pulls out a C96 pistol and kills 2 or 3 guys with it.

NOT cool!

I might be wrong but I think he had an all weapons cheat thing going on in that one, I seem to remember a video like that where he made a quick comment about it when he was (slow) switching weapons and like 10 weapon icons appeared on his screen.

I agree that this is a small issue if true though.

Upvote 0
I might be wrong but I think he had an all weapons cheat thing going on in that one, I seem to remember a video like that where he made a quick comment about it when he was (slow) switching weapons and like 10 weapon icons appeared on his screen.

I agree that this is a small issue if true though.
If it's true, it's definitely not small ... it has huge implications for gameplay, especially when compared to RO1 with respect to historical accuracy.

If in fact it's not true and he was only using a cheat (I guess the AI was cheating too?) then it would be great if a dev could confirm this.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
If it's true, it's definitely not small ... it has huge implications for gameplay, especially when compared to RO1 with respect to historical accuracy.

If in fact it's not true and he was only using a cheat (I guess the AI was cheating too?) then it would be great if a dev could confirm this.

more to the point if everyone had a pistol, no one would use a bolter under 30m :p

Upvote 0
I might be worried for no reason, so please TWI devs, quell my fears and tell me that RO2 is going its usual historical accuracy route by not giving pistols to everyone and their mother as portrayed in past videos!

I'd bet my life on pistols only being issued to classes who would have had one as standard, just like in RO. Have a little faith HW!

Reactions: Witzig
Upvote 0
As far as I am aware, only some classes will have pistols.
Whew that's a relief.

One of the cool things in RO1 was the "rareness" of certain weapons on the battlefield. Whenever I was a soldier with a bolt action rifle (almost all the time), it would be a big deal to scrounge a pistol off of a dead enemy or ally. Hopefully this is retained in RO2.

As many have said so far, only commander, squadleader, MG, AT, and snipers should have pistols.

Upvote 0
And everyone with an ounce of trust towards TWI knew if would be handled that Way :).

But thanks for taking the time to confirm it.
It's not that I don't trust Tripwire -- it's just that there is actual evidence in the game's media that rifleman had pistols, so I just wanted confirmation that this isn't how it will be in the final build.

Upvote 0
Whew that's a relief.

One of the cool things in RO1 was the "rareness" of certain weapons on the battlefield. Whenever I was a soldier with a bolt action rifle (almost all the time), it would be a big deal to scrounge a pistol off of a dead enemy or ally. Hopefully this is retained in RO2.

As many have said so far, only commander, squadleader, MG, AT, and snipers should have pistols.

I thought in real life squad leaders weren't issued pistols?

Upvote 0