• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Censorship in Germany

I understand what most people of you mean here and I had never any problems with any imported version of any game installed on steam here in Germany. Like I said, for example my Left 4 Dead versions are both the UK ones and they are uncensored from the first day on. Also my RO1 is from UK and it WAS uncut for the first 2 years or so. But then a certain update took place and it forced the censored version on me, what was irreversible. And when looking at my example from L4D, there is a possibilty to get the CUT version UNCUT via the Windows registry. There is even a steamsupport thread of how to do that.

So I got the idea that RO's censorship-method (or however this could be called) is some other like the one, for example again ;) , in L4D series and I'm wondering if the same "censorship-method" will be used in ROHoS because this would mean the same irreversible censoring of a version thats supposed to be UNcensored even in Germany.

Much blah-blah so far :) but is there any clear answer to this?

Upvote 0
But that is a different matter all together, swastikas have nothing to do why violent games are cut or down right banned. They are just forbidden symbols that are not allowed to be shown in public.

Anyway, that whole censor thing is the only problem I ever had with steam. And sometimes I just wish you wouldn't need steam in order to play certain games.

Toning down violence is the decision of TWI, not a censorship by the government or some institution. The consequence would be no "Jugendfreigabe" or a higher age one.

How is steam actually handling age restrictions?

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
German is a democracy. Are there any movements or petitions by gamers to turn around some of the ridiculous censorship?

Yes, not overly successful so far. Though they organized a LAN Party with different Games in the Bundestag (Govermental Building, slightly comparable to the British Parliament).

There are some younger Politicans, but this will take some time to actually bring some results.

Upvote 0
I hope tripwire makes the German censorship as funny as CS:S's

YouTube - Counter Strike Source - censored german version

WOW. I wonder what must have been going through the German censor board member's heads when they approved this.

Board Member #1: Oh no! A game that depicts firearm violence! It's desensitizing our highly impressionable youth to such violence and encouraging them to partake in it in real life! Banned!

*Valve submits censored version for approval*

Board Member #1: Hmm, much better! Now our nation's young impressionable youth will not have their minds corrupted by depictions of violence. Instead, they will believe that getting shot in the head with a firearm causes the victim to adopt a submissive posture!

Board Member #2: Wait, isn't that worse? Now we're letting kids play a game where there are absolutely no negative consequences for shooting another human being? Wouldn't that be even greater encouragement for kids to engage in violent acts?

Board Member #1: Quiet you! We do not allow any kind of logic or rational thought in here!

:rolleyes:

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
WOW. I wonder what must have been going through the German censor board member's heads when they approved this.

Board Member #1: Oh no! A game that depicts firearm violence! It's desensitizing our highly impressionable youth to such violence and encouraging them to partake in it in real life! Banned!

Board Member #1: Hmm, much better! Now our nation's young impressionable youth will not have their minds corrupted by depictions of violence. Instead, they will believe that getting shot in the head with a firearm causes the victim to adopt a submissive posture!

Board Member #2: Wait, isn't that worse? Now we're letting kids play a game where there are absolutely no negative consequences for shooting another human being? Wouldn't that be even greater encouragement for kids to engage in violent acts?

Board Member #1: Quiet you! We do not allow any kind of logic or rational thought in here!

Nope.
That's valve wanting to get a 16+ approval.
CSS that came with the original 18+ HL2 copies didn't have such nonsense.

Upvote 0

LOL, the weird thing is, you're joking but you're actually right:p That they didn't think of that...

Upvote 0
LOL, the weird thing is, you're joking but you're actually right:p That they didn't think of that...

Nope.

this!
There is no "censor board" telling the companies to create such stuff. Thats their decision.

Upvote 0
this!
There is no "censor board" telling the companies to create such stuff. Thats their decision.

I never said or implied there was anyone telling Valve how to make their game. But obviously SOMEONE has to approve ratings for games, and whoever that person is did not approve of CS unless it was edited to remove blood and death.

Upvote 0
I never said or implied there was anyone telling Valve how to make their game. But obviously SOMEONE has to approve ratings for games, and whoever that person is did not approve of CS unless it was edited to remove blood and death.

Nope.
Valve did that on their own, just like they edited out blood in the orangebox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, it is really surprising to see that a company actually wants to be able to advertise a game, have it on display in stores and actually sell a decent amount of copies.

I understand that you guys are pissed, but selling a couple of 18+ copies isn't probably what they want to achieve in a big market like Germany.

Just speculating, of course.

Upvote 0