• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

pyro causing lag

zombielordzero

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 20, 2011
apparently excessive use of a flamethrower counts as 2 pyros firring a flame thrower at once. several players i've played with on a few servers complain about using the perk at all, medics and players refuse to heal a pyro, and i've been banned from a server because i used the pyro.

the main reason these players complain about a pyro when asked is that it causes both graphical lag and game play lag. i'm guessing these players are closer to the minimum specs required to play this game than i am, but if this class is part of the game, why would players hate anyone using it so much?

Well i have 300 fps average and the flamethrower won't change that. Either ppl have stone aged PCs or modern ones but enabled speedstepping and so on.
KF really isn't perfomrmance hungry! And every 500$ PC should run it more then fine. I'd say ppl who complain about the Firebug either should stop playing KF or buy better Hardware or disable Speedstepping (Core2 and I 3,5,7 Processors).

Upvote 0
if a server is going to ban you for playing a specific game perk thats probably not a server you want to play on anyways.

And if people are having so much trouble with pyro flames maybe they should lower there lighting effects settings their system obviously cant handle what they are playing at.

oh and my fiance plays KF with me occasionaly and p4 2.6 ghz 1 gig ram Geforce FX 5200. true she plays with almost everything set to lowest setting but it handles fine otherwise.

but i do think its the lighting effects that royaly screw with people to be honest because ive noticed the worst performance for her On bedlam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used to see severs all the time like this
they had mottos and server messages that would say
No Berzerker or Firebug Allowed
Playing those perks would get you banned immediately without warning

its more the hosts preference
if you get banned from a server like this dont trip its probably not a server you want to be in anyway

there has been known problems with the flamethrower causing the game to lag, one of the updates caused excessive lag from the flamethrower that even lagged my beast of a computer
im sure this was fixed..anyways
people with low end computers should lower theirs settings/enable low gore

Last edited:
Reactions: drunkentiger
Upvote 0
Yeah once i also had like 30fps avg on this PC:

Core i7 950
6bg DDR3
GTX 480

Turning off Intel's Speedstepping technology really helped! Now i have about 300 fps avg. Hyperthreading just lowers the performance a bit.

Most of intel's technology tends to hurt game framerates more than help if you just use stock settings. I was getting better FPS with my Phenom X-2 than my buddy was with his i7 on the same settings...and he has a better graphics card!

That's why I tend to stick with AMD. The cheaper price helps a lot too...

Upvote 0
Most of intel's technology tends to hurt game framerates more than help if you just use stock settings. I was getting better FPS with my Phenom X-2 than my buddy was with his i7 on the same settings...and he has a better graphics card!

That's why I tend to stick with AMD. The cheaper price helps a lot too...

Hmm that's not really true but Killing Floor doesn't really use much of the CPU so it will stay at 1.5 ghz instead of 3ghz. But yeah for older games you shuld better turn off all that stuff.
Intel CPUs really are great and their technology is good too but just for modern games and programs.
Hypertreading gives you almost 50% more performance when exporting videos and so on.
And for such stuff I bought this system. Killing Floor runs on a pentium D more then fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the info, i've only had lag related issues with any of the classes (mostly my internet sucking at times), and it is refreshing to hear that this used to be a big problem and has been fixed, but sad that some attitudes don't change :(

anyway, thanks for the support, i will be blacklisting servers that ban firebugs from now on =)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a common complaint regarding gaming performance I hear about from coworkers all the time. People have their Dells and such, with their Intel-based motherboards and the integrated "Intel Extreme Graphics" hooked up to some uber-resolution flat panel, and they wonder why pretty much anything 3D-related lags so easily.

Until very recently, the only thing "extreme" about Intel integrated video was that it was extremely bad. And, the saddest part is that a huge number of these OEM boxes using Intel-based motherboards don't even have a PCI-e slot for an aftermarket graphics card upgrade. Or, if they do, you often need to use a low-profile graphics card, and that limits your range of choices quite a bit. There are a few (relatively speaking) higher performing low-profile cards available, but then one often runs into the other brick-wall with these OEM rigs; many have sub-300W power supplies. Not to mention that many times, the motherboard, power supply and case form-factors are some proprietary design that defy any sort of piecemeal replacement as a workaround. And, if one throws most laptop-quality 3D performance into the equation, well, that is just too frightening to even discuss...

Unreal Engine 2.5 is single-threaded as far as I know. I have a bazillion rigs here, and I've seen very good performance from some very 2006-ish hardware in KF, (e.g., 2.2GHz Athlon64 3700+, GeForce 6800GT), providing one isn't maxing-out every image quality setting and/or using a 1920 X 1080 monitor. This isn't my primary KF platform by any means, but I've noticed essentially no stuttering whatsoever, even in some pretty intense rumbles. (Although KF-Departed occasionally tests this combination ever so slightly.)

Any server that prohibited the use of one or more perks is ridiculous. OK, I suppose one is entitled to use one's "house rules" on your own server, but curtailing the use of certain perks seems pretty heavy-handed. What is next? Mandatory low-grav insta-gib?

Reactions: drunkentiger
Upvote 0
Intel based motherboards actually are great! My EVGA Classified 3 is Intel based too and I'm very happy with it. The Nvidia chipsets were very good too like the 790i.
Or do you solely mean standart boards in OEM PCs. These Computers usually are expensive and have no performance.
I never bought a complete system but always ordered the parts and then built it together. This really is very "money friendly" lol.
And actually I need that PC for cutting videos and encoding them. This needs alot of CPU power and Ram.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I sit with a silent smug smile of superiority whenever anyone moans at me playing Firebug. My PC mocks the power demand for flames in Killing Floor :)

[url]http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148238[/URL]

How many people can say they've got a V8 in their PC? :D
Dang straight I have one, The coolest thing about my computer is it looks like I can throw some tires on it and drive it to work

Upvote 0