• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Automatic grenade warning?

The only time I support this would be if it were an option to the player (like a check box some where).

I can think of lots of situations in RO1 where people toss nades into areas where they don't know for sure if there are enemies. If my character screamed GRENADE when my enemy threw it, that would totally give away my position, and that's not cool!

FH2 has a system where every time you throw a grenade your character shouts "GRENADE" and it has gotten me killed a number of times. I know this is different, but I dislike it for the same principles.

Upvote 0
I would not really want this, because I know what I am like in bc2... chuck a nade in a room and wait for shouts.

Unless you could make it only do it when with a group and while shooting.
otherwise stealth is killed.

this was mentioned in an earlier post, so we have the solution:
Code:
if((player spots grenade)
   AND (player is within lethal range)
   AND (team-mates are nearby))
THEN
    GRANNNAAAAATE

Upvote 0
I wouldn't want to just blurt out "Grenade!" I actually have it bound to a key (5 keys away from my index finger) and I use it a lot. But then there are other times I don't, because I know the grenade was randomly thrown and I don't want to give away my position.

I prefer for it to be my choice and I'm very very happy with how I have it now. Of course, it really helps if the voice command is in 3D. Shouting it to someone else across the map is pointless.

Upvote 0
this was mentioned in an earlier post, so we have the solution:
Code:
if((player spots grenade)
   AND (player is within lethal range)
   AND (team-mates are nearby))
THEN
    GRANNNAAAAATE
This isn't a solution to my major beef, though.

What if your group of friends won't want to be heard? And though you're within the lethal radius, you're behind solid cover?

Upvote 0
A grenade could "explode" 2 or more times: once it hits a surface, it emits a "warning" explosion, invisible, non-lethal, and if your soldier avatar gets "hit" by that pseudo-explosion, he shouts "grenade!!". Then there's the real explosion, which kills you.

Though I still don't like it to be automated.

Perhaps, if we continue on what I just said in the paragraph above, instead of an automatic shout, if the pseudo-explosion "hits" you, you have the option to press the 'use' key (F) and it shouts? Ideally you'd have a clue, somehow, like a HUD symbol. Oh and an extra verification for that auto/semi-auto shout would be "grenade is within visible range".

Upvote 0
This isn't a solution to my major beef, though.

What if your group of friends won't want to be heard? And though you're within the lethal radius, you're behind solid cover?

Then don't stare directly at it with the center of your screen or follow its trajectory.

All of this is a matter on how is implemented.

Someone suggested pressing a standard "use" key while a grenade is in sight. That could also be a good solution.

Because I'm really against binding new keys for every single action, thats too "ArmA", and a game like that just lacks the flow RO needs.

Upvote 0
I simply still thing the easiest way to solve the issue is making it impossible for enemy soldiers to hear you yelling grenade. If the enemy can hear you then you want to be able to have direct control over when your character says it or not.

There is nothing more annoying than a system being triggered unwanted. Just looking at something happens often when you notice it, you could easily do that when you don't want to yell grenade (what if you can say pick-up a grenade you are forced to look at it then).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But if the voice command isn't local, it isn't as helpful.

In one block, one man shouts "Grenade" and his team doesn't realize hes talking to them.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the map...."They have discovered our sniping position! Quickly, throw the satchels, the Germans will not be so lucky as to walk away unharmed!"

If it is possible for an engine to trollface, I think that would be appropriate :p

Upvote 0
Ive thought long and hard about the hole voice commands and the 3D voice chat and ive come to realize taht the game WOULD be perfect if everyone on one team spoke russian and everybody on the other team spoke german... then if you implement the voice chat youd hear other people but wouldnt know what the hell theyre saying.... IF THIS WAS A PERFECT WORLD.

As much as you all hate to hear it but I would suggest implementing a system LIKE battlefield series uses... when you have ONE button for LOTS of uses, if u see a tank u look at it and hit Q, then your guy screams TANK... if you see a grenade, you look at it and hit Q then the guy screams GRENADE... ITS YOUR CHOICE to do it, but the important thing is that its in the game.

There are argumetns for and against but in my mind i think its the best you can do - to all the people who rage against automated voice and say HURR DURR I DONT WANT TO PLAY A TEAM GAME AS A TEAMPLAYER you have to remember that youre a soldier among ranks of others and youre looking out for them.. so if the guy screams MACHINE GUN once in a while when he sees it dont think of it as WAAAGH HE GAVE ME AWAY but that you probably saved someones life as theyd be careful not to turn that corner

Reactions: barakas and Fedorov
Upvote 0
The whole "taking control away from the player" thing is getting really old.

And I refuse to answer to the guys who answered without following the whole thread, as I'd hate to repeat myself because of their own laziness.

So I'll just answer to this particular line:
to me it sounds like 'noobing' down the game to help the lower level skill players

Of course, accessibility is bad for games.

I've been played this game since 2004, and I certainly don't consider myself a low level skill player, but I don't even have a binded button for a grenade shout, I have the keyboard filled enough as it is. The huge majority don't have them either. Everyone silent about grenades is an immersion breaker.

Why would anyone be against a Grenade shout using a default "use" key when a grenade is in a fairly proximity and in sight, instead of having a new key bind?

I sometimes think you guys read a line, then make your own CoD movies in your head and have an automated answer to scream "NOEES!!", ignoring the rest of the message/s, and all the possibilities or ways to make it work nicely.

As much as you all hate to hear it but I would suggest implementing a system LIKE battlefield series uses... when you have ONE button for LOTS of uses, if u see a tank u look at it and hit Q, then your guy screams TANK... if you see a grenade, you look at it and hit Q then the guy screams GRENADE... ITS YOUR CHOICE to do it, but the important thing is that its in the game.

Thats a good idea, making the same key work for a lot of stuff, would help the flow and immersion in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
Personally I want a check box for this for reasons already said by earlier posts.

But I came up with a theory that may happen with the system proposed here.

One thing about having to focus directly at the 'nade to scream:eek: about it is that in the time it takes to look and for the automated system to work it out using an automatic spotting system or if using a single key for all vocal/alerts system which for the same reason may be slightly delayed theoretically at that time the grenade may have already 'sploded and killed all your squad or team especially if it bounces off something and goes under something so that the system that recognises what you look at when you look at it or whatever may not be fast enough to alert your comrades and allow you to escape.

I'm not saying its going to happen its just a possible difficulty you might face without a dedicated "GRENADE!!" Bind

Upvote 0

And I refuse to answer to the guys who answered without following the whole thread, as I'd hate to repeat myself because of their own laziness.

Interesting that this is coming from you. :rolleyes:

TBH, everything that has been said about it as been said already, no need to write anything other than "Do not want" in that case.

Upvote 0

So I'll just answer to this particular line:

Of course, accessibility is bad for games.

I've been played this game since 2004, and I certainly don't consider myself a low level skill player, but I don't even have a binded button for a grenade shout, I have the keyboard filled enough as it is. The huge majority don't have them either. Everyone silent about grenades is an immersion breaker.

Why would anyone be against a Grenade shout using a default "use" key when a grenade is in a fairly proximity and in sight, instead of having a new key bind?

I sometimes think you guys read a line, then make your own CoD movies in your head and have an automated answer to scream "NOEES!!", ignoring the rest of the message/s, and all the possibilities or ways to make it work nicely.

Thats a good idea, making the same key work for a lot of stuff, would help the flow and immersion in the game.

I am not against a key button not sure where you got that from? or why anyone would be against it..I Just dont want an automatic one from just seeing a grenade chucked.

What i meant by 'noobing' the game down, stuff like this lowers skill ceiling on the top end which is why i'm against it.

I'll add my point from previous game experience on Insurgency.. When reloading your avatar use to shout out 'reloading' at random.. Which got me killed quite a few times when i was behind enemy lines

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
I am not against a key button not sure where you got that from? or why anyone would be against it..I Just dont want an automatic one from just seeing a grenade chucked.

Because it has been said. Look, an idea is just an idea, it evolves, it breathes, it has evolved within this very thread. The core idea is to make communication easier. If it would be achieved by a smartly implemented automatic system, or a button that works for contextual commands, its a matter of discussion. But it think is better to discuss it than to just disagree with one possibility and ignore the rest. (like Lemon is doing)

I'll add my point from previous game experience on Insurgency.. When reloading your avatar use to shout out 'reloading' at random.. Which got me killed quite a few times when i was behind enemy lines

That would suck. I agree

Upvote 0
In the middle of a firefight, when a grenade is thrown at you, it wouldn't be natural to press a button to alert the comrades around you. In reality, you just try to get the hell out of there shouting: Grenade!

I think it would be more natural, if your avatar automatically shouted "grenade!" when it passes near the center of you screen, so just looking straight at it would trigger the warning.

That's so Battlefield and CoD Fedorov.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0