• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Few improvement suggestions

I worked on ArmA2, unfortunately as a 3d artist I didn't have much input on gameplay features... So I will now try to push the features I was suggesting there onto RO2 :D

* Leaning inside tank
It is hard to see out from a tank, everyone knows that. However games make it even harder than it is in reality by having your viewpoint bolted to the chair. You can perhaps look around, but your viewpoint does not change. In reality, a tanker would have no problem to lean to side to get better view. When you turn your view left, your viewpoint would move to right to get better view to left side. You could move your viewpoint up and down in similar way, so that there would be less issues with looking into ground or sky when driving over bumps. Also moving viewpoint would prove that the tank interior is truly 3d and not just some kind of panorama texture.
ro_tanker.gif

*Leaning forward
When on elevated position with railing you often find your ability to shoot/see below very limited, because you can hardly get right next to railing (because of hitboxes), let alone bend over it like you could in reality. Granted, bending over railing exposes you a lot, but that's not a reason why it shouldn't be possible. As lean forward might be a bit clumsy, it could be implemented as natural part of aiming downward (when you can't aim from upright anymore, you bend over) or a part of cover system.
ro_balcony.gif

*Excessive sway and recoil when not prone
Sway and recoil in RO:Ostfront when crouching and especially standing are extreme in comparison to when prone. I'm not gonna argue realism of that at this point. The main problem I see is that it promotes everyone fighting and even moving around prone, greatly slowing down the pace of game, which wouldn't be that high to begin with.
*Realistic range of engagements
This is related to previous issue. While enemies in RO:Ostfront might seem quite far, because of high FOV, they are not. Most combat occurs at ranges below 100m. I hope this will be improved toward realism in RO2, because real effective ranges are 200m for SMGs, 400m for rifles and 800m for sniper rifles.
*German tanks are better at long range than Russian tanks
I would really like to play a map where German tanks, particularly Tigers, could fight Russian tanks at range and demonstrate their superiority in such scenario, by obliterating T-34s by dozen. While it would certainly be unfair to Russians, there were several rather onesided tank battles in RO:Ostfront.
*Excessive fog
If you look up Stalingrad/Volgograd weather reports you will find out it is actually drier and sunnier than most places in Europe. Period photos mostly confirm this:
stalingrad_1.jpg

I hate the feeling of blindly roaming through endless fog which some RO:Ostfront maps give. Crazy fog like that made sense 15 years ago when computers could handle only limited amount of geometry - what purpose does it serve now? If you absolutely have to make a map with thick fog, at least take care that the fog is well-matched with the background. That it doesn't look like there is more fog in distant parts of the map than it is in skybox. Something like that immediatelly makes the scene look fake. Fog and horizon should blend together nicely.
stalingrad_2.jpg

* Leaning inside tank
I agree, this could be usefull

*Leaning forward
I think thats already being implemented in HOES

*Excessive sway and recoil when not prone
They are going for more realism this time, so I hope it wont be as excessive. I too dislike the extremely slow pace of the game when it encourages going prone so much. It has become pretty much the only way of shooting unless you have cover nearby to rest your gun.

*Realistic range of engagements
Already being addressed with FOV zoom

I disagree, because while realistic, it wouldn't be fun to play, maybe for exclusive single player mode... but this one would empty the servers. (And there is no Tiger in HOES)

*Excessive fog
Oh yes, in Ostfront is so frustrating when you can't see the other end of the street, is all just grey... I mean, I can see a lot of Kilometers without stuff blending in my sight... I know that the air in a bombed city wouldnt be that clean, but come on... I can't distinguish stuff at the end of the street, thats a problem that didn't happen in RO:CA. (Only in big tank maps, that weird fog seems to "magically" disappear).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I disagree, because while realistic, it wouldn't be fun to play, maybe for exclusive single player mode... but this one would empty the servers. (And there is no Tiger in HOES)

Presuming TWI makes the stuff atleast somewhat credible it's not really a problem, as PzIV has plenty of spots that you could penetrate with T-34 even at pretty longish ranges.

One thing Darkest Hour tank maps did pretty well (well, atleast stock maps) was the way they balanced the inevitably unbalanced vehicles, in other words heavier AFVs have very limited respawns.

Upvote 0
I agree on all points. I think the fog is more like smoke haze though. Fires, and etc. Yes, after playing on RO a short time, the weapons sway, forces prone play and slow play. Very frustrating. With tanks there should be a balance of buildings to navigate through. Tanks should have their own pros and cons in different environments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what is it with these morons and their frustrations with "slow pace"? you want to jump around, run aimlessly and shoot mgs blind?

you're playing the wrong game, or otherwise you never played any good tactical fps and spent all your life playing call of duty getting perks

No, RO 3.3 definitely wasn't Call of Duty, wasn't jumping around and wasn't about blindly shooting mgs either. But it didn't rely so much in playing proned the whole time, there is no such "tactical" if the team does not advance or maneuver. Ostfront encourages stalemate firefights.

Stop blowing everything out of proportion and calling everyone else "morons".

Upvote 0
*Leaning forward
When on elevated position with railing you often find your ability to shoot/see below very limited, because you can hardly get right next to railing (because of hitboxes), let alone bend over it like you could in reality. Granted, bending over railing exposes you a lot, but that's not a reason why it shouldn't be possible. As lean forward might be a bit clumsy, it could be implemented as natural part of aiming downward (when you can't aim from upright anymore, you bend over) or a part of cover system.
This is already implemented, just as you mentioned: when using your iron sights and moving the gun downwards against some obstacle, your character automatically moves up.
It was shown in pretty much all videos that came out second half of 2010, just have a look at it (when he was playing the reimaginated Dazing, called Apartments - shortly after ordering the rifle squad into 1st floor of the build south of the market place).

Upvote 0
This is already implemented, just as you mentioned: when using your iron sights and moving the gun downwards against some obstacle, your character automatically moves up.
It was shown in pretty much all videos that came out second half of 2010, just have a look at it (when he was playing the reimaginated Dazing, called Apartments - shortly after ordering the rifle squad into 1st floor of the build south of the market place).

I believe you still have to "go behind cover" to use that feature, but, it's a step forward of course.

Upvote 0
No, RO 3.3 definitely wasn't Call of Duty, wasn't jumping around and wasn't about blindly shooting mgs either. But it didn't rely so much in playing proned the whole time, there is no such "tactical" if the team does not advance or maneuver. Ostfront encourages stalemate firefights.

Stop blowing everything out of proportion and calling everyone else "morons".

well jesus, going prone makes the guy frustrated, i mean how else would you call them

Upvote 0
well jesus, going prone makes the guy frustrated, i mean how else would you call them

There is a big gray area between not going prone at all, and everyone stay and move proned all the time.

Because right now, in Ostfront, firing from a standing position is so useless that you are pretty much required to go prone before even trying to shoot if you want to hit anything, because the swaying and recoil is unrealistically exaggerated in the other stances, while the prone swaying is unrealistically low.

And no, no need to call any names at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I've read, most of these issues are addressed in RO:HOS.
Ambience is, of course, the mappers choice. (I'm not a mapper but) doesn't fog help with performance issues?

Weapon sway while standing is not really an issue for me. It only comes into to play if you keep your weapon in IS too long. Which is as it should be. Thats one of the things they did really well in RO:OST, imo. We're trying to 'convert' an looonnngg time CoD player now and he's finding out that its hard to hit someone with a rifle and that you can't hit everything the first time......imagine that.....

Upvote 0
Well, i agree with Walter on most points...
The "prone issue" is already been discussed before and it's partially due to the fact that the prone position takes all the advantages that it actually has in real life but almost none of the disvantages: for exemple the rotating speed (in game the player is still able to rotate at full speed, that is quite wierd...) or the fact that the player can go prone everywhere, even if there is not enough space avalible (actually in Ost you can ofthen see people getting prone in a corner with theyr legs clipped into the wall behind them, or other people gettin prone on a small fence or something like that...)
So i think that TWI should simply do the same thing that they've done with the sniper class: give to the prone position all the advantages and also all the disvantages that you get in real life.

For what concern the sway problem, i don't think this is going to be a problem in HoS since they said that we will be able to hold our breath with all weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0