• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M576 Buckshot for the M79

BigDawgKS

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2011
Did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned. Sometimes when I use the M79 I find myself surrounded by zeds in close proximity to me where using a 40mm would either kill me or just wound one of them, wishing for the ability to use a buckshot round to at least give me a chance to get away.

Even if it's just part of a perk (support or demo?), allowing players to carry and load 3-4 M576 rounds for their M79 would be potentially life saving. This is the reason the M576 round was created actually. Perhaps alt-fire could be used to switch between buckshot and HE. You could either get them by default or maybe you could purchase them from the trader; either way I think just having the option makes the M79 a lot more viable as a primary weapon.

Thoughts?

I'd say they'd have to be a reload animation in where the loaded 'nade round is swapped with the buckshot. In that case wouldn't it be quicker to pull out a backup weapon (you still have a 9mm) and dispatch them. Even when you've got a Scrake or FP in your face the reload time would be the death of you.

I think the idea would be that a load of buckshot would be more effective at clearing out a bunch of zeds than your 9mm (which often times is low on or out of ammo in the current mag in my case), but you bring up another point. It's kind of annoying that you can't abort reloads and switch to another weapon in KF, so I figured if you're already reloading after firing an HE, maybe if you're quick enough on the alt-fire you'll load buckshot instead, rather than waiting for reload to finish then switching to your sidearm.

Upvote 0
Ever since I knew buckshot nades existed, I always thought it would be a hilariously awesome addition to KF.

But I have to disagree, for gameplay reasons. The demoman's strength is crowd control at long range (note his artillery-like weapons) and giving him natural perk advantages to combat his main disadvantage (close quarters) would be a dangerous thing to do. It could work out if done correctly, but I beleive that a demoman player will be better off using a handcannon (or Mk.23 :p).

Upvote 0
How about only issuing them to support players then (or give them a discount)? Also I only imagined having a handful of them; only for emergencies. Like I said, I think it'd really make the M79 a lot more useful (which I notice does not get used as much as it could).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would have to just be the alternate fire using the same pool of ammunition. In any case, the launcher already has the safety feature, just use that at close range.
But OP wanted to limit the special ammo. not allow the entire set of ammo to be one or the other, depending on what you load. You could have a counter (similar to the flashlight) that shows how much special ammo remains and have it fill whenever there is ammo gained (trader or ammo packs). It probably would work, but still doesn't address the reasonable need for it.

Upvote 0
Coding an additional ammo type for a weapon is not currently possible along with restocking that ammo at the trader. A shotgun attachment that had a cooldown (like medic gun) would work but doesn't make much sense.

Not possible how? As in an engine limitation or what? I'm not very familiar with Unreal so would you care to elaborate?

Maybe I will make a project out of this (and learning how to create mutators with UnrealScript).

Upvote 0
Not possible how?
If you know anything about coding, then you should understand. Otherwise writing a mutator will be difficult.

Anyway, all weapons are implementations of the base weapon class which has an ammo parameter (among others). It also has some kind of battery param used for the flashlight. When making a new weapons (or modifying an old one), the weapon must still follow the base weapon class in all functionality which other code must interact with (like the trader). Thus only ammo of weapons can currently be stocked and to change this both the base weapon (and all current weapons) along with the trader would have to be modified.

Upvote 0
If you know anything about coding, then you should understand.

Yes I know how to write code (C, C++, Java, etc..). I have no experience with UnrealScript, but I have done other game related coding.

Anyway, all weapons are implementations of the base weapon class which has an ammo parameter (among others). It also has some kind of battery param used for the flashlight. When making a new weapons (or modifying an old one), the weapon must still follow the base weapon class in all functionality which other code must interact with (like the trader). Thus only ammo of weapons can currently be stocked and to change this both the base weapon (and all current weapons) along with the trader would have to be modified.

I see. So I guess then there's no workarounds? I don't know any of the limitations of mutators or KF mods, but I imagine it'd certainly be possible for the devs to modify the core bahavior and make it possible. Of course that's only hoping there's a slim chance Tripwire likes the idea... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I know how to write code (C, C++, Java, etc..). I have no experience with UnrealScript, but I have done other game related coding.

Whoa buddy if you know all of those you will be able to write UScript like a pro. UScript is heavily based off of C++, Java, and a bit of C.

Also I am a modder/programmer for Unreal and I would admit that this is extremely possibly via mutator.

Upvote 0
Whoa buddy if you know all of those you will be able to write UScript like a pro. UScript is heavily based off of C++, Java, and a bit of C.

Yes I've taken a look at it and syntactically it seems pretty straightforward; just a matter of learning all the little details I suppose (but God only knows if I will find the time). But I've only just started to look at some source code and I've yet to figure out how everything works (some documentation would be useful). Don't have a clue what all the classes and functions are.

Also I am a modder/programmer for Unreal and I would admit that this is extremely possibly via mutator.

So then what about the mentioned ammo problem, do you have a suggestion for that? Also how much of the game's behavior is scripted and therefore what can be modified by a mutator for example?

Upvote 0
You could implement the special ammo as a separate pickup class that you can purchase from the trader like a different weapon. Not sure if it's possible to prevent players from purchasing a weapon based on a condition though, so some people may buy the special ammunition without owning the actual gun.
Does the trader interface allow selling only weapon objects via the list? If so then are you suggesting the workaround is a weapon that comes full and costs the price of a full amount of ammo? Can you set it up so that you cannot switch to it and the M32 could decrement the ammo this dummy weapon has?

Upvote 0