• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Tower Defense Map

Gooblaster

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Hi, i am very new to Unreal Coding and mapping in the SDK, i would like to create a "Tower Defense" esque map for large servers like mine and Netsky's.

I just reposted this in the Level Design Section

I need to know if it is possible to "lose" a map even if all players do not die?

How to increase the mob HP just for the map? If zeds had that low HP, the map would be kind of easy

Will i be able to display "live" info on each player's HUD, like how much more Health the door has before the game ends?

How will i able able to increase the Zed speed just for this map?

Is it possible to make the Zeds attack something other than the Players, like the door?

Here is how it works:
The Zeds destroy a certain door/Enter a certain area and the round ends.

The idea is that there are different towers for each perk class.

For example its something like this:

Sharpshooters - Highest towers to allow them to see a large portion of the map.

Demo - Towers near choke points to allow them to kill mobs in large amounts?

Berserker - No tower, they just run onto lanes and kill the Zeds.

Commandos - Frontlines mowing down the mobs.

Medics - Healing the Berserkers? :)) I'll figure this one out

Pyro - Flaming the mobs and reducing their HP making it easier for commandos.

Support - Finishing off any other mobs that come near the "Door" and repairing the door

The towers will be placed in such a way that the players using those Perk classes will want to go there instead of randomly going around and killing.

Pyro's job is to BUUUUURNN!!!!!! :D

Now i just need answers to my questions before i can continue... :(

Yes - its in the Scripted Trigger command

No - well you can with coding

No- You can with coding

You cant change the Zed speed w/o coding BUT you can change the spawn speed (have them come out faster) Actor>Info>LevelGameRules>KFSPLevelInfo

Zombies will atk any door mover in their way as long as her is a USE Trigger for it AND the door is sealed. DONT FORGET to set the ZombieDmgReduction Rate To something like 4.5 so the doors go down quicker

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pyro's job is to BUUUUURNN!!!!!! :D

Yes - its in the Scripted Trigger command

No - well you can with coding

No- You can with coding

You cant change the Zed speed w/o coding BUT you can change the spawn speed (have them come out faster) Actor>Info>LevelGameRules>KFSPLevelInfo

Zombies will atk any door mover in their way as long as her is a USE Trigger for it AND the door is sealed. DONT FORGET to set the ZombieDmgReduction Rate To something like 4.5 so the doors go down quicker

Would it be possible to put the code into the map so that we do not need mutators just to increase the Zed HP/Speed?

Upvote 0
Something similar has been done already but i can't remember the map name. It was like long sinuous road full with tower defence game props like Tesla, Cannon etc. Those are door movers so zombies can attack them.

I remember that the game spawned speciments with different HP. Spawned like ~15 Pattys, but they were pretty weak.

Upvote 0
ok well you can create a new zombie type, then edit the HP and info there. BUT then all your spawns will have to use scripted triggers.

How do you do this anyway? I was looking at having weak 'mini boss' patty's but only propertys I could find on the actor (under pawn) were HeadHealth, HealthMultiplier, the scale with number players multiplier, and I couldn't see anything that sounded like a base health value.

Also I noticed some properties can't be changed on zed pawn actors and weapon pickup actors, even if you are creating a new extended class.

If Fel reads this, let me know what you think of this. I created an extension of KFAmmoPickup which fills up all ammo for all weapons in the players inventory. It just changes 1 line of code from the original KFAmmoPickup to do this, but been a code change that kind of invalidates ability to use perks on the map. Would I need to make this into a mutator and submit it to whitelist/greylist to get perks back? The advantage of the full ammo pickup is to greatly reduce the number of ammo boxes placed on story map. The ammo spawn liklihood is what makes the map impossible on suicidal; I would like to remove this restriction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok well you can create a new zombie type, then edit the HP and info there. BUT then all your spawns will have to use scripted triggers.

Then looks like it basically is possible!

I have much to learn before i can start.

Thank you all for your help! :)

@Benjamin, i do not know how to make a mutator...

@SIMOX, if you can remember the map name, would it be possible for you to PM me with the download link? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0