• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medic Perk: To be or not to be?

good replies so far. Pretty much the gist of what I've seen is to basically just fit in leveling the other perks where I can when I am the medic.

Thats kinda what I've been doing (a little anyway). But I want to level firebug because it interests me. I just get the feeling that the flamethrower slows me down too much as a medic. I like to have the speed to heal people.

Does how much you are carrying affect your run speed?

Upvote 0
Trader_Dual_Handcannons.png
Trader_Mac_10.png

Trader_MP7m.png
Trader_Vest.png

Medical_syringe.png

This is an amazing loadout, if you know what you're doing.

The MP7M and Syringe are for healing, the MP7 can also kill stuff when needed.

The M10 and Dual Handcannons are for keeping the attention of Scrakes and Fleshpounds on you, and off your teammates as they kill them.

The armour is key for tanking Scrakes and Fleshpounds, and you should not attack Scrakes and Fleshpounds after it's gone.

I found this loadout after i had to changed tactics due to 1016. It's really helpful and can really make the team breathe easy, knowing they can depend on you to make sure the Scrakes/FPs don't tear them a new one.

I hope this advice from a fellow Medic helps :)

Upvote 0
Far as I see it there are 3 types of Medic.

A Bad Medic focuses on kills instead of healing his squad.

A Good Medic focuses on helaing his teammates and doesn't fuss with kills.

A Great Medic keeps an eye on his teammates and on incoming threats and knows when to stay focused on heals and when to take out specimens that may cause trouble for the team.

For example when a Zerker is taking out a line of gorefasts and a couple of crawlers are sneaking up with the group. The Zerker shouldn't have difficulty surviving but the crawlers can complicate his defence, meaning he may have to make a decision to leave the crawler and take a hit to his armour to knock out the gorefast first. A Great Medic will spot this threat incoming and eliminate the Crawlers before the Zerker even has to contemplate them.

The key to being Medic is not going for kills, but still being aware that you can get kills. Keeping an eye on the threats incoming on the team allows you to access whether or not the other players will benefit from your help.

I always levelled most of my other perks while I was playing Medic. Sharpshooter I think I played for 30 minutes to get Dot Of Doom and that was about it ;)

I hate dealing with crawler as a zerker. Ya it is hard to find a great medic that clear the crawler for me and heal me. I am willing to tank the FP but most of the time my medic ran away instead of healing me......
ME-->20 HP call out medic!!!
I turn around and medic is gone.
FP kill cookies.
Me...........

Upvote 0
My fave medic loadout is Shotgun and AK-47 + armor. It's an expensive one but the shotty can be found in the map and alternatively, mates of other perks can buy them for you (pay them back for it, even!). You got the AK for good trash control and a shotgun for giving a solid-punching hand for use against gorefasts and larger, more offending enemies like the husk or siren or charging fleshies.

The Mp7 isn't really a needed weapon in my opinion (it can depend on the map, though) it's much more efficient to use the syringe and it's also more reliable and it gives a higher output.

Upvote 0
Trader_Dual_Handcannons.png
Trader_Mac_10.png

Trader_MP7m.png
Trader_Vest.png

Medical_syringe.png

This is an amazing loadout, if you know what you're doing.

The MP7M and Syringe are for healing, the MP7 can also kill stuff when needed.

The M10 and Dual Handcannons are for keeping the attention of Scrakes and Fleshpounds on you, and off your teammates as they kill them.

The armour is key for tanking Scrakes and Fleshpounds, and you should not attack Scrakes and Fleshpounds after it's gone.

I found this loadout after i had to changed tactics due to 1016. It's really helpful and can really make the team breathe easy, knowing they can depend on you to make sure the Scrakes/FPs don't tear them a new one.

I hope this advice from a fellow Medic helps :)

It's a great loadout, but I prefer the LAR with Medic typically due to the low cost. Dualies are fairly expensive, and the Mac ain't exactly the cheapest either.

Of course, if you have a coordinated enough team where the Firebug can buy you a Mac and a Sharpie can buy you HC's then you're golden, but assuming you're on the average pub team....

Upvote 0
my steam name right now is cookies?, account name is warshark4355. I been playing a lot in the 30 or 40 men Christmas normal server. If you want to stop by it really fun. I no it normal but all the unit have hp bonus base on number of players.

sweet, I added you.

As for the loadouts:

I play normal mostly, so my loads are pretty simple. For the first 5 waves I stick with just 9mm and mp7 because its cheap and lets me maintain my speed (no one has yet to answer my question about load out weight affecting run speed).
Round about level 5 or 6 I pick up a hunting shotgun and use it to one shot sirens and bloats with the alt fire, and use it to tank scrakes and fp. When the patriarch comes around I'm sporting either grenade launcher and the mp7.

Again, I only attack when teammates are fully healed and/or we lost a few people and the team needs a little more firepower.

Upvote 0
I hate dealing with crawler as a zerker. Ya it is hard to find a great medic that clear the crawler for me and heal me. I am willing to tank the FP but most of the time my medic ran away instead of healing me......
ME-->20 HP call out medic!!!
I turn around and medic is gone.
FP kill cookies.
Me...........

A medic doesn't run away from a Fleshpound!

A medic runs AT the Fleshpound! They can take the most hits, and recover the most, so if a team is threatened, the medic is capable of pulling off stunts no other class can do. Even on HoE, the medic is always the distraction. In the one HoE game I've won, I distinctly remember Candlejack saving everyones arses multiple times by flinging himself into raging Fleshpounds. It killed him in the end, but his sacrafice carried the day and allowed us to win.

Oh. and by the way, if you need any assisstance from me, my account name is "cole546", and my nickname is "Timur"

Upvote 0
This is an amazing loadout, if you know what you're doing...

I'm liking the M79 instead of the Mac 10, especially with more sane pricing on the M79 ammo and extra cash for heals. I agree that one or two handcannons are a great utility/weight combination for Medics. Indeed, about the only perks that I use off-perk weapons with are Medic and Berserker, and both of them usually get a HC.

Upvote 0
It's a great loadout, but I prefer the LAR with Medic typically due to the low cost. Dualies are fairly expensive, and the Mac ain't exactly the cheapest either.

Of course, if you have a coordinated enough team where the Firebug can buy you a Mac and a Sharpie can buy you HC's then you're golden, but assuming you're on the average pub team....

yeah, I prefer to act as a bank, and just hold onto dosh in case anyone needs it, surviving on a simple loadout of the medigun and the LAR

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned, it's possible to use off-perk weapons so that you can still make progress on them while playing medic. It's great that you're using the 9mm on the early waves. That'll get you a long way toward your Sharpshooter levels. The Lever Action Rifle is something I'd definitely recommend you try. Great way to help out against Sirens and Husks.

The Bullpup or AK are also options for you to use toward Commando. I ended up meeting my damage requirement for level 6 a day or two after reaching the needed amount of Stalkers.

As for the MP7, if I'm ahead of the medic and I see/ hear the darts hitting the walls or floors around me I'll hold still. If I need healing but still need to avoid getting hit (down the hallway from the medic) I'll move forward and back which allows me to keep away from or move toward the specimens and makes it easier for the medic to aim at me.

You can tell them to hold still or no heals for them. :p

Upvote 0
The LAR is only used until i can afford these weapons.

The Axe isn't used, because i shouldn't be in melee.

But, this is my personal loadout, with what i use to get the job done.

Timur and RainyDayKid would know what i mean.

yessir.

anyways, I think this just goes to prove how everyone has their own semi-combat medic loadout. Anyways, it is usually semi-combat, as it becomes rarer to find sitautions requiring a career medic.

Upvote 0
When I'm playing as medic I generally will use the mp7, LAR and axe combo , but once higher waves hit I might switch off to m79 instead of axe. I used to always use crossbow as medic but I gravitated away from that. A good combo I found is mp7 bullpup and Mac10. Lots of bullets to use lol. And to answer the one guys question even at full weight capacity you're still faster than anything but berserker which has the same speed. At least as a medic ( as far as I know)

Upvote 0
Honestly am I the only guy who doesn't use anything but an MP7?

My med loadout only consists of MP7 because my job doesn't require me to kill anything. IMHO and I know not many will agree, but I think a medic should rely on his team for kills and that is it. I know as a medic you tend to be the last alive. <Did I mention I am not talking HoE - Tho I have seen some pretty good teams with no medic> But even at that if your doing your job and your team knows how to shoot they should be alive with you. That is to say the team is balanced and is smart.

And I can shoot the med dart at anyone moving or standing still and hit them. My secret is simple - go into a normal server and play a noon med class with a med gun. Play as med would. You get no regen bonus so every shout with the med dart counts. Don't ask them to stand still just try your best. Eventually you wont even need the sight to hit them with a dart.

Alas I dont like seeing meds with shotguns and axes. I dont mind seeing them with a Mac10 but when i do see them with a different loadout I honestly know in my head they wont be playing the perk and is just using the armor bonus. sorry but that grinds my gears a little bit. I think every class has a role and it should be played so. No zerkmeds. Get out of here with that.

Upvote 0
Honestly am I the only guy who doesn't use anything but an MP7?

My med loadout only consists of MP7 because my job doesn't require me to kill anything.

Then you're part of the reason why your team gets beat up in the first place or you're just dead weight and watch everyone else play the game while you do nothing at all.
How about grabbing a LAR and at least sniping crawlers? Don't even need headshots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then you're part of the reason why your team gets beat up in the first place or you're just dead weight and watch everyone else play the game while you do nothing at all.
How about grabbing a LAR and at least sniping crawlers? Don't even need headshots.

How about you play a few games with me and see what I can do with the MP7 before you even call me dead weight? I don't go around here calling anyone dead weight or say they are the reason their team gets beat. If anyone wants to say that feel free to add me and invite me to a game, after that you can make an assessment.

Upvote 0