• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How Does it stack up?

What Worluk said.

Download Epics UDK and read tutorials. Before you know
you forget Radiant and will love how these tools work.

While i have to confess I even returned to Radiant for a while to proove some i still knew how it worked.

But UnrealEd works different then COD Radiant. Hardly any BSP more and more static models.

Even though the lower amount of BSP is an advantage. The problem of modeling arises. I like the UDK, but I am terrible at modeling so all of my levels are dull and boring. :(

Upvote 0
But UnrealEd works different then COD Radiant. Hardly any BSP more and more static models.

Hi Drecks,

In Radiant it is fairly easy to create BSP for almost anything, from a house to a bench or a fence, etc... The only SM (xmodels) used are usually for detailing and foliage; Given that i have no experience at all in Modelling in 3DS or Maya (and those are far too expensive packages) is possible to do all this as BSP in UDK/HoS SDK?

Im guessing that the SDK will come with stock collection of SM for detailing, but really if BSP cannot be used for Buildings/fence or this of thing it would be a stopping issue for me.

Because you worked on both Editors im hoping you'll understand what i mean.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
You still can do anything with BSP in UE3 but the question is should you? In most cases the answer to that question is no because BSP is a lot less detailed, has a lower performance compared to static meshes and BSP can create graphical bugs.

The average mapper doesn't need to know how to make static meshes because RO2 will come with a lot of meshes. But if you want to make more individual and professional maps you can make meshes with free software like Blender and Gimp, no problem. Or you find someone who is doing them for you ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Zeroy,

Sorry for the wait was busy digging snow from my frontdoor.

Off course there will a lot of meshes with the game, but i'm convinced you want to give your levels a personal touch. Then I really encourage you to learn a 3D program and start with simple stuff. A fence orwall ain't hard to make in 3D Max. even I manage to make some.

The best option is to make a level in a team. Learn the UDK and 3D max for simple stuff and find someone for the complex models. Sure some people will help you with that.

Greets Drecks

Upvote 0
The best option is to make a level in a team. Learn the UDK and 3D max for simple stuff and find someone for the complex models. Sure some people will help you with that.

Greets Drecks

Thanks and i get what you are saying, its UDK i want to use, not prepared to be a modeler as well as a mapper. I guess until assets for HoS are released there isnt much i can do but learn the basics!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0