• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] best of called of duty series

best of called of duty series

• call of duty

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • call of duty 2

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • call of duty 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • call of duty 4

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • call of duty world at war

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • call of duty MW2

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • call of duty black ops

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
CoD was MoH with a massive graphical and handling update. MoH handled like all 90s FPS....wooden, bull's eye bullet physics, bare gfx, gianormous hit and crude obstructions, no wall penetration....

TBH, I think CoD, the original and the Battlefield series kind of birthed the new modern shooters we're playing. BF for the more meta-game stuff....and CoD for basically all the visuals and mechanics on the ground.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
No. It was a MoH replica.

It was miles ahead of MOH.

Allied Assault was one of my biggest FPS favorites that was snuffed out by CoD 1. At the time being able to aim down the sights was a huge step forward and the campaigns were much more action packed. It also felt more fluid and responsive than Allied Assault which meant overall a more fun experience. This was back when Call of Duty appeared to be one of those "indie" games you see now. A silent, relatively unknown game that tried something new and hit it out of the park. It didn't look like it had the polish of MOH, but it had it where it counted.

UO took it up another notch with various additions and vehicles/stationary guns in MP. UO's multiplayer was so dynamic it's a shame more people didn't play it.

CoD 2 wasn't as deep gameplay-wise, but it was a nice transition to next-gen graphics. It also had some of the weapons from UO but a lot was left out. Still the game was fresh and MP was a blast.

I played CoD 3 briefly on a PS2 and it was decent for a console shooter, I think I had more fun playing RTCW on console multiplayer though.

Modern Warfare was IMO the last good CoD game. It's when the series was at the top of the mountain and the only place to go from there was down. Perks, weapons without any felt recoil, rankings/levels, and unlocks were an obvious sign of the coming apocalypse for the series.

I didn't get much time to play World at War but the few multiplayer games I did take part in felt like MW1 with WWII equipment. It was also a mess that allowed sides to use any weapon they wanted, so you would have Japanese running around with Thompson SMGs, or Americans blasting away with an MP40.

Played MW2 on a Steam free weekend. One of the first games it put me in was hacked and I ranked up to 70 in 1 kill. Used a magical plastic bulletproof riot shield and Beretta 92 to screw around and dominate a few rounds just out of pure randomness. The whole game felt like MW1 on steroids. The ranks and unlocks were taken to a ridiculous extreme, the weapons felt even more fake, and so did their add-ons.

And we all know about Blops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually CoD1 was one of the best MP games I've ever played.
Definitely in my top 3 MP-games of all time.
Really? Im not being funny but I always thought that DoD mod and DoD retail blew cod and moh mutiplayer out of the water? Maybe just a biest opinion cause DoD was one of the first and for me best fps games I played when I started gaming.

Upvote 0
Really? Im not being funny but I always thought that DoD mod and DoD retail blew cod and moh mutiplayer out of the water? Maybe just a biest opinion cause DoD was one of the first and for me best fps games I played when I started gaming.
I loved the original DoD mod, played it for a loong time before CoD was released.
But a lack of iron-sights let's it drop out of my top 3.

Upvote 0
I never played the SP of any of them (or at least I never bothered to finish any I started). AI just bores me to tears. MP is where its at for me.

To quote Reise

Allied Assault was one of my biggest FPS favorites that was snuffed out by CoD 1. At the time being able to aim down the sights was a huge step forward and the campaigns were much more action packed. It also felt more fluid and responsive than Allied Assault which meant overall a more fun experience. This was back when Call of Duty appeared to be one of those "indie" games you see now. A silent, relatively unknown game that tried something new and hit it out of the park. It didn't look like it had the polish of MOH, but it had it where it counted.

UO took it up another notch with various additions and vehicles/stationary guns in MP. UO's multiplayer was so dynamic it's a shame more people didn't play it.
+1

I tried to play CoD2 for a while but the lack of anti-cheat out of the box, the initial bunny hopping and the constant patch releases to fix things that never should have made it in the game to begin with, the initial lack of mod support, etc. etc.....got fed up and I left the CoD series for good and waited the short while for RO to be released retail. Never regretted it..

I enjoyed AA and SH. We'd modded the weapon handling, ballistics and damage values and had a full server 24/7. CoD and the ability to force no crosshairs and the iron sights was like a dream come true..... Fun game to play, but RO still trumps it.....

I was only introduced to DoD just weeks before RO came out. I'm sorry I missed that game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I liked about the early Call of Duty games was the historical aspect and being able to see World War II from different Allied perspectives. I'm not completely annoyed by the modern warfare fad, I just wish that Call of Duty didn't go into the fictional realm. It would have been interesting to see combat in Iraq or Afghanistan from the perspective of different Coalition nations.

Upvote 0
What I liked about the early Call of Duty games was the historical aspect and being able to see World War II from different Allied perspectives. I'm not completely annoyed by the modern warfare fad, I just wish that Call of Duty didn't go into the fictional realm. It would have been interesting to see combat in Iraq or Afghanistan from the perspective of different Coalition nations.
*sarcasm* Oh you should go play the new MoH then! *sarcasm off*

Ironic how it comes full circle back to MoH in this crazy age of IP ownership.

I think 2 was where I first noticed Call of Duty. I'd heard it was replacing MoH and was like "Oh, that's kind of a shame." MoH had been my stand by when I wanted to shoot some people in the face.

So I was pretty blown away by the new dynamic spawning systems (I like campaigns in a totally different way than MP), and the handling. Getting the sensation of running and moving seems so hard for many FPS to do right. (I'm looking at you, DICE) and CoD it just felt good to run around.

Totally leap frogging everyone in graphics and all those secondary immersion effects didn't hurt either. Now we sort of take that stuff for granted. I remember the first time I got shelled by mortars in Call of Duty 2, I was "Holy ****, that was intense."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played COD and CODUO and I had fun. There weren't any other games I really played online other than AA and UT at the time so that is what I have to compare it to. We mostly played the CNQ maps from AHZ because it gave more of an appearance of a back and forth battle.

The whole time I was thinking how if they tweaked this or that they could make the game seem more realistic and I had high hopes they might take that route with COD2. Was I wrong. I thought it SUCKED and I hated it.

Then ROOST was released and that changed my perspective even more.

COD3 was console, right? My son tried playing it and thought it was an enormous joke.

COD4 came around and it was MW and I was still playing ROOST so I had zero interest in that.

COD5 I received as an Xmas gift from my daughter and felt compelled to play it. It was at best 'ok' but the whole month or so I played it I wished I was playing something else.

COD6, who cares. Certainly not me.

CODBlOps... Again no interest for it at all other than to poke fun at it in some forums online.

Upvote 0
The first one was the only one i bought, and it did not impress me, i came straight from the Infiltration and RO mods, and had gotten used to a bunch of inovations and a level of realism from thouse that CoD just didn't have, it's MP seemed Quake'ish to me, and the SP was wrought with historical inaccuracy, bad hollywood clich

Upvote 0

CoD 2 wasn't as deep gameplay-wise, but it was a nice transition to next-gen graphics. It also had some of the weapons from UO but a lot was left out. Still the game was fresh and MP was a blast.

I played CoD 3 briefly on a PS2 and it was decent for a console shooter, I think I had more fun playing RTCW on console multiplayer though.

Modern Warfare was IMO the last good CoD game. It's when the series was at the top of the mountain and the only place to go from there was down. Perks, weapons without any felt recoil, rankings/levels, and unlocks were an obvious sign of the coming apocalypse for the series.

I didn't get much time to play World at War but the few multiplayer games I did take part in felt like MW1 with WWII equipment. It was also a mess that allowed sides to use any weapon they wanted, so you would have Japanese running around with Thompson SMGs, or Americans blasting away with an MP40.

Played MW2 on a Steam free weekend. One of the first games it put me in was hacked and I ranked up to 70 in 1 kill. Used a magical plastic bulletproof riot shield and Beretta 92 to screw around and dominate a few rounds just out of pure randomness. The whole game felt like MW1 on steroids. The ranks and unlocks were taken to a ridiculous extreme, the weapons felt even more fake, and so did their add-ons.

And we all know about Blops.
Yep this pretty much sums up all my opinions on the CoD series! Well done good sir, you saved me a few minutes of typing.

There is still a soft place in my heart for Medal of Honor Allied Assault, despite the fact that CoD1 beat it in basically every respect. The overall soul in the game, the music, the feel, and general nostalgia make it one of my all-time favorite games.

EDIT: Oh and for the LOVE OF :IS2: I really wish people would PROOFREAD their threads on these forums. Seriously: see OP title...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember quite vividly when I read on Gamespot that Allied Assault was delayed. I seriously cried tears, but then again I was eleven years old. For Christmas I asked Santa for a Geforce 2 so that I would be able to play Allied Assault when it came out.
Yes! I just had gotten my first real modern computer that year that MOH:AA came out and it was equipped with a Geforce 2 32mb graphics card. I still remember the game taxing that card pretty heavily.

MOH:AA was my first WWII fps. Up until that point, the only FPS I had played was Unreal Tournament.

Upvote 0