• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Patriarchs visit in wave 5, long game

@mikeloeven
Rockets have nothing to do with the discussion. But anyway they can deal a large amount of damage to multiple people if they are not careful. Also, no, your idea is not a good alternative the the proposed idea.

Anyway, to address some specifications with the idea:

Normal: 1 visit, between wave 3 and wave 9
Hard: 2 visits, distributed between wave 3 and wave 9
Suicidal: 3 visits, distributed between wave 2 and wave 10
Hell on Earth: Every wave, starting with wave 2

For each wave, a random generator checks to see if a patriarch spawns this wave (so no more than one patriarch per wave). If remaining waves available is equal to the number of appearances he can make, then he would appear every remaining wave. This method would generally weight the visits more heavily toward the end, but he may visit sooner too.

Disagreed. I propose 5 visits.

Upvote 0
Disagreed. I propose 5 visits.
Why not? If you are going to bother to disagree, at least tell me why.
Anyway, it's Hell on Earth so there is no reason that this would be too absurd. The only reason you would have less than every wave is to make it surprising, but players would still plan for it every wave. Therefore, make it every wave.

Upvote 0
Anyway, it's Hell on Earth so there is no reason that this would be too absurd. The only reason you would have less than every wave is to make it surprising, but players would still plan for it every wave. Therefore, make it every wave.

It would seem unbelievable and quite odd to me if the patty came by EVERY wave, did the SAME thing, and retreated successfully EVERY time. I mean, he's a deadly monster intent on wiping out humanity, not some Team Rocket-ish saturday morning cartoon villain.

Upvote 0
Yes.

I suggest max (1-)3 times, and random between 3-9 wave(perhaps 10. wave is too close of 11, or maybe not). Random spawn is good, because then its surprise every time.

Its not a surprise much if you always know he will be in fifth Wave like suggested in Original Post.

Perhaps in Beginner you would see Patty laughin and wanderin only, then he just disappear. For New comers its surprise, "what is that!" and they look at it and Clot grabs em suddenly while they are looking for it.

Normal you see him 1-2 random Spawn, and you must deal some damage to get rid of him.

From Hard to HoE You will see him 2-3 times.

Imo Patty is VIP Enemy, so you see him rarely. But when you see, you surely will notice him.

Upvote 0
That could work but for some reason I think the patty should have some sort of ranking minions. Yes, I know Fp's and Scrake's are sort of "ranked" but I am talking about lesser bosses. Something like you would see in like Zelda with a sub boss to each stage.

I think if TWI extends the waves by about 2-3 and throws in a sub boss about half way through that would make it a little better.

Actually a lot better than throwing in pointless guns and perks.

I say some character along these lines:

-A close friend or relative of Kevin
-Something close to the way he looks
-Close to Kevin's power but with out the ability to heal
-Nothing animal related because I am sure dog's have been overdone
-one weapon on arm, either rocket launcher or mini gun
-Maybe an advanced version of a gorefest?
-Maybe the ability to cloak at will? But the commandos can see this sub boss, this will make their class a bit more useful in general
-Just for fun, should give it an ability to climb walls or buildings and able to shoot down at us < Any type of attack as with the patty has to occur while uncloaked

Upvote 0
It would seem unbelievable and quite odd...

Stop right there/ There's already a ton of 'unbelievable and quite odd' things in this game, so don't try and play the realism card.

Code:
Grenade launchers don't damage doors but hand grenades do
Medics with magical healing drugs
No friendly fire (by default)
Firebugs being immune to fire damage but still take fire-environmental damage
Laser cannon Crossbows that go through Infinite targets
The list could go on and on if we want to keep at it this.

Upvote 0
That could work but for some reason I think the patty should have some sort of ranking minions. Yes, I know Fp's and Scrake's are sort of "ranked" but I am talking about lesser bosses. Something like you would see in like Zelda with a sub boss to each stage.

I think if TWI extends the waves by about 2-3 and throws in a sub boss about half way through that would make it a little better.

Actually a lot better than throwing in pointless guns and perks.

I say some character along these lines:

-A close friend or relative of Kevin
-Something close to the way he looks
-Close to Kevin's power but with out the ability to heal
-Nothing animal related because I am sure dog's have been overdone
-one weapon on arm, either rocket launcher or mini gun
-Maybe an advanced version of a gorefest?
-Maybe the ability to cloak at will? But the commandos can see this sub boss, this will make their class a bit more useful in general
-Just for fun, should give it an ability to climb walls or buildings and able to shoot down at us < Any type of attack as with the patty has to occur while uncloaked

All the zeds are already twisted clones of Kevin's family and friends, so really it would fit the first requirement right off the bat? And I agree about the dog thing....however, the sec could move in an unhuman way (crawling, ect), if you wanted that effect.

I would support either skrimishes with the patty or a special zed. The Patty skirmish would be easier to accomplish, but the special zed would add a new element and has infinite potential. They are about tied in my mind

Upvote 0

As the difficulty goes up, the dosh-earning potential goes down. Furthermore, ammo boxes aren't that common around the maps. If there's a visit every wave, then that means players will have to use up ammo fighting him every wave, which leaves less for the ZEDs around them that actually count towards the wave counter. If there's less ammo for the lesser ZEDs, there is less damage made (unless they find of the elusive ammo crates or start using those knives more often, and if there's less damage made, there is less money earned. If there's a break in between visits (assuming they don't get a stroke of bad luck and have him appear again in the very next wave), they get a chance to get a breather as well as save up for better weapons for the next time he visits. If he appears every wave, then it makes tougher to save up for the better weapons and make fighting him that much harder.

Upvote 0
It's a good idea, we could weaken each visit and give him his final blow at the very end ....:rolleyes:

Except that the damage done beetween the visits wouldnt affect the final battle.

Stop right there/ There's already a ton of 'unbelievable and quite odd' things in this game, so don't try and play the realism card.

I dont think he was talking about realism. I mean, you gotta admit it would seem sorta stupid or even funnny if the Patriarch kept running back and worth all the time.

If he appears once around wave 5 or so it would be cool but anything more than that makes it just annoying. Especially when he can wipe the team with one lucky shot. That would make Hell on Earth only about luck rather than skill which is not the way to go.

Upvote 0
@HaTeMe
HoE already requires a good deal of luck (ninja gorefasts and whatnot) but I see what you mean. At least have him appear at a random wave to mix things up a bit, while increasing the range of wave (heavily weighted toward the later waves) he might spawn in by difficulty. You could eliminate the issue with wiping by allowing only his machine gun and announcing his arrival. Still you would need to consider that he might spawn at the end of each wave and prepare for it.

@Noboty
You gain money from damaging him so it would works fine.

Upvote 0
@HaTeMe
HoE already requires a good deal of luck (ninja gorefasts and whatnot) but I see what you mean. At least have him appear at a random wave to mix things up a bit, while increasing the range of wave (heavily weighted toward the later waves) he might spawn in by difficulty. You could eliminate the issue with wiping by allowing only his machine gun and announcing his arrival. Still you would need to consider that he might spawn at the end of each wave and prepare for it.

@Noboty
You gain money from damaging him so it would works fine.

You are still left with less ammo for the ZEDs that actually counts towards the ZED counter. That can result in a wipe. Also, why would players bother playing on HoE if there is a chance that they will come up short on the invisible die and get wiped out by a stroke of bad luck?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Knowing that he is going to show up at any wave would cause one of two things:

1. You plan for the patty every wave (thus he predominantly shows up in later waves).

2. You don't plan on him showing up and you hope that you can deal with him if he does.

It would encourage ammo conservation to some degree, though it wouldn't take much since he can be brought to his knees once rather easily. With more restrictions to his weapons (say machine gun only, not even melee) and reductions in his damage, he would be more like a tough husk. The only huge issues is the ease of using pipes to deal with him, since they are already highly effective on the patriarch anyway.

Upvote 0