• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor mentioned in PC Gamer's (brutal) review of CoD:BO

I just read this review of CoD:BO, and for once it's nice to see a major reviewer that doesn't throw themselves lovingly all over the CoD franchise this time -- PC Gamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/17/call-of-duty-black-ops-review/

They talk about the tacked-on zombie mode and point out its worthlessness compared to great zombie games like Left 4 Dead or "Killing Floor." Nice attention to TWI there!

Anyway, take the review or leave it, love it or hate it, but I thought this was interesting.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Look at what I found in one of the comments:

A bit unprofessional in my opinion to almost completely leave it out of the review and leave zero reasoning as to why it’s worse than Killing Floor or L4D. I know many people that is interested in this game for mainly this game mode.

They'd shell out $60 for a tacked on extra game mode?

I mean, I understand how some people will buy a game only for the MP and never touch the SP campaign, but for this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I mean, I understand how some people will buy a game only for the MP and never touch the SP campaign, but for this?

especially when they can buy the far superior KF for 20 bucks.
5 even if they time it right.

Upvote 0

Because the act of spending $60 on its own already forces their mind to justify it. Nobody likes to think that they've been fooled, so they look away from reality and feel good about buying a "superior" game.

Also, human mind works this way: "greater cost" means -> "greater reward"

There is also the propaganda machine. The games is announced everywhere, everybody talks about it so... "it can't be bad"

Those are all primitive psychological tricks to control people like sheep. While we humans have developed a mind capable of rational thinking capable of overcoming those "tricks", the majority is still unaware of the brainwash.

A conversation between me and some guy(Who is not a gamer) last week:

Guy: "Aren't you going to buy the new Call of Duty?"
Me: "No"
Guy: "Why not?, everybody say is good"
Me: "Everybody say many things"

->its everywhere -> everybody say is good -> lets join the mob and contribute (nobody wants to be left alone).

Its all about unnaturally exploiting a human instinct that would have been useful in the stone age, but has become obsolete, as technology and society evolves much faster than our genes. In other words: we are not biologically ready for our own society.

This is all just theory, but is the only thing that explains that a game with an abusive price and bad quality, becomes the best selling release in history.

Upvote 0
What about the "I'm so ordinary I need to seperate myself from the crowd by not playing their games and more importantly tell them how they are all brainwashed suckers of the system whereas I am an enlightended individual on every possible occasion"-instinct?

Seems like a very dominant instinct too :D

Upvote 0
What about the "I'm so ordinary I need to seperate myself from the crowd by not playing their games and more importantly tell them how they are all brainwashed suckers of the system whereas I am an enlightended individual on every possible occasion"-instinct?

Seems like a very dominant instinct too :D

Hmm no, I love Fallout 3, Half Life 2, Mass Effects and Assassin's Creeds which are as mainstream as they can get.

Upvote 0
Why do people equate mainstream with poor quality?

To automatically make this deduction your just as uneducated as the masses you claim are "brainwashed"

Rate games based on merit. Not who makes or published them.

Black ops is excellent fun. THe best game ever, No. A game worthwhile buying, sure, its only

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Phew. Is that smoke coming off my eyeballs? Because that review was scorching!

It basically reinforced what I've heard from everyone else: The money and wager system is cool, remote controlled C4 cars are fun, zombies are zombies.

This is the first review I've read that hasn't explicitly focused on just those elements. The description of the SP is...wow. I thought we had gotten away from that level of rail roading back in 2000. I guess not. At least CoD 4 had the decency to make it feel dramatic when success or failure hinged on doing just one thing.

A few people I know have bought Mightnight Shrimp. I'm going to wait for a severe price cut. Like, $25 or less. I know I'll be waiting a while, but that's completely fine with me. I've had all the modern warfare I can stomach, I'm not shelling out premium cash for it just because the band wagon is rolling. The genre has become bloated, it's no longer the hottest thing on the market. So I can safely wait, or just never play it at all.

I found this comment interesting:

What saved the last Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2, was its brutal co-op missions.
I felt the exact same way. I could have taken or left EVERYTHING about MW2, but the co-op missions were addictive as hell.

I don't have the will to argue with the masses anymore. Black Ops just broke another entertainment record, at $650 in the first five days, better than MW2. I never thought I'd see the day when Treyarch outsold Infinity Ward....but I guess that's the world we live in now, and the natural result of Infinity Ward getting bumped out of the picture. I imagine their funding increased 100-fold after that whole debacle. Grats to them though. Better saddle up for another two years of this **** :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Half-Life 2 is an RPG? :rolleyes:
Three out of the 4 games you mentioned are. Well Assassins Creed isn't technically, but it's not just an action-adventure either.

And still, HL2 itself was just 10hours of SP with absolutely zero replay value and no MP. Of course it was bundled with CSS and mods that followed, but only years later.

I'm talking value for money and if you're denying CoD isn't at least solid in that department then you are denying reality.

Upvote 0