• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank interiors looking too bright?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I noticed that the interior of the tank looked too bright for having so little sources of light, it looked much darker and better in the trailer. I don't know if this was just a problem from the shakeycam or an actual problem.

A friend of mine suggested that the tank interiors need occlusion shadows (I don't know what those are) and that it was a pity that while the interiors don't look bad, they are not on par with the beautiful work being done with the exterior lighting.

Also textures look kinda "low res" inside.

Reactions: barakas
I think textures only seem low res because of the video and the fact that they are right up in your face. It may just be WIP or gamma/brightness up so you can see the tank better.

It will be hard to really tell without some HD but, The tanks do loook very nice though :)
I would like to see how it looks 3rd person, Track animations and such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While one's eyes do adjust to the darkness, there should be some shadows in there*. My guess is, they just haven't finished the dynamic lighting or applied it there. I recall when questioned about the weird lighting on the character's faces (in infantry) - specifically the well lit heads under the helmets, TWI mentioned they're going for full dynamic lighting for the characters.

Since the tanks do move around, both on the map, and with a rotating internal turret, I would hope the lighting will also be dynamic. It bugs me now how the lighting on the ROOST tanks is baked in, so the shadows on the road wheels rotate along with the wheels.

*It looks like the walls of a map if you only render the textures, and not the lighting pass.

Edit: I just noticed the exterior has dynamic lighting/shadows. When Ramm pops the cupola, the periscope shadow points to about 8 o'clock, then he rotates the turret, then the shadow points closer to 6. My guess is they haven't placed the light sources yet inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Watching the video more carefully, it looks like the interior is properly lit for the driver and MG. It looks like it's mostly the turret basket / gun areas that the lighting looks really flat.

The only thing that could make this look better is if the tanks left tracks in the snow. But that's a lot of world deformation, unless they do it with decals and bump mapping.

Talking about bump mapping, I noticed the screw holes on the periscope had properly lit dynamic shadows. Good use of bump mapping on the tank surface.

Upvote 0
I noticed that the interior of the tank looked too bright for having so little sources of light, it looked much darker and better in the trailer. I don't know if this was just a problem from the shakeycam or an actual problem.

A friend of mine suggested that the tank interiors need occlusion shadows (I don't know what those are) and that it was a pity that while the interiors don't look bad, they are not on par with the beautiful work being done with the exterior lighting.

Also textures look kinda "low res" inside.

It did look a bit bright, but I also think it was quite washed out because of the quality of the film, but i definitely agree that the textures inside the tank looked low res.

Upvote 0
Yeah, looked way to flat and bright.

Hope its just alpha-ness.

When I think about the inside of a tank, this is what I think of:

YouTube - LEBANON trailer

This film was actually filmed inside an old Israeli tank.

While I doubt its a completely realistic depiction of in tank lighting, its definitely way more interesting to look at than pristine, statically lit interiors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think that lighting in cinema should be used as a reference

Agreed. Looking at that trailer, I can tell you some of the scenes involved having a gridded vertical light panel behind the actor, outside the view of the camera. That's how you get that cool rim light effect. I very much doubt you'll really have a big light panel (at least 3 or 4 feet tall) in there, plus the main lights on the front, and fill on the side. That's at least 3 light sources for many of those scenes.

Very dramatic, but doubtful if it was realistic.

Upvote 0
"While I doubt its a completely realistic depiction of in tank lighting, its definitely way more interesting to look at"

It was a reference for how dynamic lighting can look good, not how tanks are realistically lit.

Well, the lighting in the trailer was "dynamic" in the cinematic sense. It looked dramatic, and interesting. But it wasn't very dynamic in the 3D rendering sense of "dynamic lighting" with moving shadows based on the movement of the tank turret.

I would assume the tanks were lit well enough in real life that you could see what you were doing. That's what I want, not a pitch black interior with interesting shadows falling on my face. Great for a trailer and a movie, but if it's shadows on my face and mostly everywhere else, I can't see crap.

It does look like the lighting passes need to be done in those textures though. But I don't want to see it over-done.

Upvote 0