Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

A different view on the Ball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different view on the Ball

I remember I had concerns about the Ball pricing. Well. Now that I bought and finished the Ball, I made up my opinion.

The Ball isn't the newest nor the freshest thing on the market, yet it breathes some fresh ideas on the Puzzle genre, First Person Puzzler, to be exact.
    The very first cutscene hurls you directly into the action, kinda Unreal-esque when you woke up in the crash-landed space ship, making your way out you drop down into a cave and directly into a hallway of some ancient, buried culture that affected mankind. However, this mere storyline is only presented in few (and brief) cutscenes. I think more visible scenes or wallpaintings couldn't have hurt.
    However, presentation is otherwise very good, only very few things can be found, and you need to look out for them, really. Visually, the game is top notch. It's one of those games that makes the UE3 stand out again, it is no realism-only-engine, it captures unique looks, and the Ball is no exception. Lighting, Architecture, most of the texture work, character design, it's all gorgeous. Now if you could add some detail layer to the cave textures to make them look less choppy and pixelated...
    Sounddesign is a different story, though. The original riddle tune may be used a little too often, but then, the music is well composed and fitting, as is the overall sound engineering (haaaark, what a word at this time of the day). The Ball is massive, and you can hear it.
    Animations, Coding, and everything else related to those writing 1s and 0s is fine, nothing seemed jumpy or edgy. It is fitting into the world, into the game. Only thing to mention here is the AI, the routines are slightly simplistic, but they are varied enough to not make you bored on your playthrough. Tlalocs could strike slightly faster, me thinks.
    In one of the reviews, the author complained about the controls. I cannot share his view. I agree jumping somehow seems to make you faster than travelling by rolling around, yet controls feel sharp, and physics tight. It's no over-top-realism, like mentioned earlier, but it's absolutely believable. Especially with all the groovy effects later on.
    Speaking of progress, Leveldesign shows that you progress further into the world, and like mentioned earlier, it looks very good by that. My main gripe with leveldesign is just, the later stages seem to have no real purpose other than it's just mentioned as machinery. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to show parts of what they built, what they refined, how they worked other than serving as puzzles for the player. I know that task isn't always easy, but it would have made the world more believable.
    Oh right and I Teotl 2, after the boss fight and past the bridge out of the city, you can use the ball to jump up the gardens and then fall off the map by jumping into one of the gaps close to the building. Results in either cheating or a map restart. A fix for a patch.
    Other than solving riddles, the game also ramps up in difficulty by fighting. While there's not a horribly awful lot of stuff wrong with the mechanics, it feels a little simple with the method of running into an enemy again and again until he goes down. And in the end, I found myself wanting just to rampage past all the enemies and solving more riddles, which were logic and well concepted. I almost never found myself struggling because I didn't know what to do, all seemed very clear, so kudos here.

One thing to note, when the Ball comes very close, I experienced a noticeable drop on my framerate. Not so much that the game swam around or stocked, but noticeable. Maybe coming from all the effects going on along with full AA, but my rig should be able to handle any UE3 game without problems.

Last but not least, the survival mode. Nicely done, the maps definatly have this UT influence from most of the mappers onboard. It's fastpaced, hectic, and the traps leave that special grin on your face if you have your go on a dozen mummies at once. Hope no one complains should I borrow an idea or two for a UT-DM-conversion. Would like to see you doing it oldschool again, by the way.

Final notes, a few suggestions:
    - A counter that adds all times together, and statistics that show who is the fasted ball-roller around
    - a healing system that kicks in between the fights, possibly randomly hidden in urnes and stashes so that your health has more purpose than it has now
    - more, possibly harder riddles in either special challenge maps or side notes of the game. I know that not everyone shares the same logic ways that I have, but I found the game slightestly easy.

To get back to my initial intro - the length was more than I expected and the atmosphere and gameplay really made it stand out for me. Definatly recommending the game!
    [URL="http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015450180/myworkshopfiles/"]Swanky's maps[/URL][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=797380&postcount=1"]
    [/URL]

Awesome, thanks for your great review
    Project Lead and Creative Director
    http://www.TheBallTheGame.com

Comment

Working...
    X